SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF? I think I am going to make this JY found 2000 C70 thermostat housing work on my R ... what you think? our newer style sensor will be angled into water neck, buuuut i'll cut the neck and angle it upward and re-weld it and it 'll work and it came with a brand new 90 Celsius thermostat. :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
That seems very interesting. I remember talking to you about our non-replacable thermostats. LMK what you come up with

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't understand what's so "not replaceable" about our thermostats... I haven't looked much into it, but the thermostat housing comes apart, doesn't it?

·
Registered
493 Posts
It comes apart but you cannot buy just the thermostat and they dont sell a gasket (RTV could work)

·
Registered
493 Posts
So basically if your thermostat goes bad you have to buy the complete housing which is like $120

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That seems very interesting. I remember talking to you about our non-replacable thermostats. LMK what you come up with
i will.

I don't understand what's so "not replaceable" about our thermostats... I haven't looked much into it, but the thermostat housing comes apart, doesn't it?

it does come apart ...but no-one sells just thermostat or gasket for it...just the whole housing only for 110$ and also it is hard to get to just the thermostat.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i will.

it does come apart ...but no-one sells just thermostat or gasket for it...just the whole housing only for 110$ and also it is hard to get to just the thermostat.
Is it difficult to modify the housing to work with another thermostat with the same specs? I mean, they are all basically round, right?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Is it difficult to modify the housing to work with another thermostat with the same specs? I mean, they are all basically round, right?
Could be done and i was thinking about that.

I do like dougys idea because it puts the bolts on top

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The reason they are basically "non replaceable" is that there is a sensor attached to it that seems to have been quite problematical, and Volvo wanted to make sure you replaced everything when you did the 'stat.

That's the story I was given the other day when I was talking to the service guys at Volvo. (no haven't done mine yet, but was contemplating putting a new 'stat in when I do my timing belt and water pump, shortly. )

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it'll work...not only can you change thermostat with ease but you can get to 10mm intake bolt easily as well with this older style housing...you will have to lengthen coolant temp sensor plug wires , shorten/cut some of the small coolant hose going to 17mm vacuum intake bolt and cut of some of your coolant upper hose and angle upper part of the housing as you see in pics and weld it... ;)

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn, not to be a dick, and dougy you do great work, but $110 is really not that much money for 1-a lifetime replacement.
absolutely true you are a dick...JK...I just had too...lololol thanks....but you are right R.Photo.... especially the welding of the neck and you still need a coolant temp sensor that they don't sell separately ... but for 10$ project "awesome"....aaand to take that 10mm bolt out when you need to remove the intake manifold without foucking with it, it's a win for me...for average joe..not at all.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Dougy I give it one year til you've redesigned the entire car, including the body.

Once again great work!

·
Registered
493 Posts
absolutely true you are a dick...JK...I just had too...lololol thanks....but you are right R.Photo.... especially the welding of the neck and you still need a coolant temp sensor that they don't sell separately ... but for 10$ project "awesome"....aaand to take that 10mm bolt out when you need to remove the intake manifold without foucking with it, it's a win for me...for average joe..not at all.
^this... That damn manifold bolt is stupid to get to.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The first hours of my R ownership were spent on this ridiculous stock set up replacing the whole housing. You, my friend are an innovator!

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dougy I give it one year til you've redesigned the entire car, including the body.

Once again great work!
thanks glocksrox18.

The first hours of my R ownership were spent on this ridiculous stock set up replacing the whole housing. You, my friend are an innovator!
not really, but thank you DragoSR.

ok, if you have a stock intake mani , you will be able to make it work without welding this nasty upper duralumin alloy housing...see pics ... that is if you are able to use older style sensor...maybe someone can look up the specs in Vida for both to compare...you will have to redo the plug ...that's all.

old style sensor.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
525 Posts
dougy,
I like your enthusiasm about improving P2R.

But, do you think that re designed housing made any restriction in heat transfer capability of the cooling system? I can't judge from the pictures cause i cant see the rear of the upper housing but it does look like it has tight bent.

I know you'll make another one :D

Cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts