SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found the source of the slight coolant leak I have http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?234896-Minor-coolant-leak-looking-for-good-ideas

Using florescent dye I did see that the suggestions in that thread were right. The leak IS the thermostat housing and goes down behind the accessory bracket. Just so slight and slow that there is no moisture left when I checked before.

So, I need a new thermostat housing gasket. Read up on the housing versus thermostat etc discussion. But I just want to be able to either replace the housing for peace of mind, or fix the gasket using "make your own". Either way, I need to remove the housing. Is there any DIY out there for that job? I was unable to find it, searching both on Swedespeed as well as the interwebs in general. Plenty of write ups on the older style of housing.

Any advice or pointers appreciated!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here this should help you.

I assume you imply I should do the conversion to the old style thermostat? There are 10s of writeups on that older Volvo thermostat housing. Not ours (or at least my '04) where I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to do this *without* removing the PS pump and belt etc. Or if there are any other labor saving lessons learned.
If I had that older style, I would be done in 15 min!

:)

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Now that I see the vid doesn't really cover our cars, if I was doing this I'd move the PS pump which should give you good access to the thermostat housing bolts.

I don't really see any other practical ways to access the bolts.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that I see the vid doesn't really cover our cars, if I was doing this I'd move the PS pump which should give you good access to the thermostat housing bolts.

I don't really see any other practical ways to access the bolts.
Any good DIY on how to remove the PS pump? Is it doable without disconnecting the hoses and just undoing the metal bar that goers across the front of the engine?
Frankly though - I can deal with the spilled mess, but I have not replaced/ removed the accessory belt on this car. Easy? Hard? Tensioner easy to get to?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
No need to undo any hoses, just take off the belt, remove the PS pump bolts through the holes in the pulley, and just pull it out of the way with the hoses attached.

I think there is a hose mount bolted to the front of the manifold you will need to remove too, but once you do the lower part of the hard PS line is rubber so it will bend out of the way.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Tensioner is easy to undo, all you need is the right torx fitting and a long rachet or bar attached to rotate it back to de-tension the belt and get it off the PS pulley.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tensioner is easy to undo, all you need is the right torx fitting and a long rachet or bar attached to rotate it back to de-tension the belt and get it off the PS pulley.
Any chance you recall if it's a normal Torx or an external one (socket)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts