SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a writeup on where to find and how to change the thermostat on my 05 V50 T5.
Did try a search, to no awail.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Where the hell is our thermostat anyways? Top hose? Bottom hose?

Should be straight forward once you find out where it is. Drain coolant, take it apart (where ever it may be) and watch as it comes apart to make sure it goes back together the same way.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I don't remember seeing DIY write up done , looking at the Diagram the plastic housing Holds the Stat - it's on the front of the Motor , and Not
on the end of the Motor as it looks - or is - misleading in the Diagram .

Sounds like No has changed the Coolant on Your T5 , somewhere it probably says the Fluid is Life time - ( It isn't , 6 yrs. maybe Tops ) .
Most have changed it in 4 yrs.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That diagram does not help,. Sounds like intake hose has to come off..what else? Maybe its more axessible from beneith?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks man, excactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ended up not beeing a diy friendly job. Cost me 500$ at the dealer to have it changed. Insane!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Ended up not beeing a diy friendly job. Cost me 500$ at the dealer to have it changed. Insane!
Really? For a $12 part? I think I need to change mines too. My coolant started to boil in NYC traffic coming back from h2oi.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Norwegian volvodealer price..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Not DIY friendly? How so? Were there special tools that prohibited you?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My back had no patience with this job,

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Hey - all this Help is saving Your some Bucks !

It's Not that Bad - pulling the Air Box - would be a PITA - Thou .

I'd only get the Pre-Mix Volvo Anti-Freeze - that way You won't have to play with the Type
of Water to Add . :)

To have Volvo do this and change fluid - it would like $200+ @ Dealer .:beer:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I think the part that said remove air filter module that was not so friendly. I see where the coolant pump is now, from my starter change pictures.
Well, just follow my starter motor replacement procedure and stop at the air box removal, then you're set. :)
this makes you want to get a cone filter intake more and more. for little stupid things like this.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'd only get the Pre-Mix Volvo Anti-Freeze - that way You won't have to play with the Type
of Water to Add .
Just use distilled water,,, Buck a gallon everywhere, mix it 50-50 with the Volvo coolant and be done with it. No sense paying BIG bucks for Volvo WATER.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ok, as some may know. I`ve had the stat changed twice last 14months. Still engine heat drops like a stone @ idle and takes forever to warm up. Both times the dealer has split the stat housing and changed only the stat itself. Remember they had a helluva time opening the platic housing to swap the stat. I`ve read on a different forum that they (dealer) normally change the whole plastic housing, it comes with the stat pre-installed.
Any reason why this would be the case?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts