SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my T8 today with all the windows and sunroof open, enjoying the beautiful 73-degree weather, with ACC on and cruising at 50 mph, the stoplight ahead turned red, so I tapped the ACC down to slow the car to 25 before applying he brakes. As I did that, a notice popped up on my driver display that said “Climate system on due to thermal cooking.” Huh? I reached over to an air vent and confirmed the A/C was indeed on, albeit very low.

Has anyone else experienced this? What the heck is going on? I thought it could be because I was using engine braking in B mode to slow down, instead of the brakes, but does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If the rods aren't all the way in with coolant going through you get a thermal meltdown, fact. Okay been watching chernobyl on HBD. No idea

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Sure it didn't say thermal cooling?
Actually, the thread title says “Thermal Cooking​“ but I agree that make more sense.

·
Registered
129 Posts
While driving my T8 today with all the windows and sunroof open, enjoying the beautiful 73-degree weather, with ACC on and cruising at 50 mph, the stoplight ahead turned red, so I tapped the ACC down to slow the car to 25 before applying he brakes. As I did that, a notice popped up on my driver display that said “Climate system on due to thermal cooking.” Huh? I reached over to an air vent and confirmed the A/C was indeed on, albeit very low.

Has anyone else experienced this? What the heck is going on? I thought it could be because I was using engine braking in B mode to slow down, instead of the brakes, but does that make sense?
Mine does this too. Never dug into the reason though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife’s XC60 does something similar. On nice days, the heater will actually blow and a message pops up “Climate system running due to internal cooling”. This is a T5. So weird, right?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It's been reported many times in the forum - Sensus components overheat and engages the AC to cool down (it shares cooling inside the dash).

A few folks have reported the touchscreen becoming extremely hot (uncomfortable to touch with your finger). Having your AC turn ON for a bit is better than this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have to admit that this was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread.

51M1ioidl3L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

At the risk of hijacking the thread I may be wrong but I don’t think tapping down on the ACC will use engine braking, I believe it uses the brake. ICBW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
At the risk of hijacking the thread I may be wrong but I don’t think tapping down on the ACC will use engine braking, I believe it uses the brake. ICBW
On the T8, applying the "brakes" means ERAD regeneration for light braking (no friction brakes) plus friction brakes for moderate/heavy braking. This applies to cruise control as well, so it depends on ACC's braking intensity.

For example, if I travel down a medium incline at highway speeds (gaining speed), ICE temporarily shuts off and ACC engages ERAD regeneration only. For faster stops, it engages the friction brakes too.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Volvo released a bulletin about this. If you see a message that says "Climate system running due to internal cooling", that is normal.

If you are driving with the climate control off during warmer weather conditions (above 68*f), this may happen due to a system called Active Cooling, which is to keep the electronics behind the dash cool.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Volvo released a bulletin about this. If you see a message that says "Climate system running due to internal cooling", that is normal.

If you are driving with the climate control off during warmer weather conditions (above 68*f), this may happen due to a system called Active Cooling, which is to keep the electronics behind the dash cool.
TY for taking time out of your schedule and posting.....really appreciate it..ty

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It's been reported many times in the forum - Sensus components overheat and engages the AC to cool down (it shares cooling inside the dash).
*sigh*

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
*sigh*
Yes, I saw your post. I had never seen it on the forum and a search for "internal cooling" found one thread from two years ago with no resolution. Volvo has just released a bulletin officially explaining it so I thought I'd share. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Yes, I saw your post. I had never seen it on the forum and a search for "internal cooling" found one thread from two years ago with no resolution. Volvo has just released a bulletin officially explaining it so I thought I'd share. Sorry.
Most of the posts were about the Sensus screen becoming very hot to the touch and then getting the message about the climate system engaging. One guy with a '18 XC60 reported a buyback because of this and unrelated VOC issues after several attempted fixes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts