SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I bought this used AOC, and it came with a piece of the driveshaft stuck in the flange. I can't get it out. I tried putting an M8x20mm bolt though the hole in the back of the flange, hammering it like crazy. I tried using clamp to apply pressure and try and pop it out.

Any other ideas? I don't mind destroying the flange in the process, I've got another one.

·
Registered
701 Posts

I bought this used AOC, and it came with a piece of the driveshaft stuck in the flange. I can't get it out. I tried putting an M8x20mm bolt though the hole in the back of the flange, hammering it like crazy. I tried using clamp to apply pressure and try and pop it out.

Any other ideas? I don't mind destroying the flange in the process, I've got another one.
Have you tried heating it up then hitting it out.. think Ike a blowtorch or something

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
If you have another flange, grind a slot or two in that one so you can stick a flat blade screwdriver in and twist to spread it open some.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Why don’t you bolt a slide hammer to the flange and slam it out that way.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
just thread a bolt in from the back side

·
Registered
53 Posts
What’s the other end of this look like? Post a photo of the other side. I had this happen to me once on a different vehicle. It took a 30 lb lead weight and heavy chain to pop it out, and that was with it still in the vehicle for resistance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas so far. Here's some more pictures where I try to pop it out using clamps.

I'll try hitting those bolts with an air hammer see if I can pop it out. If that doesn't work, I'll apply heat to the flange and try again. If none of that works, I'll cutting up the flange with an angle grinder.

I have another flange to replace this one, but I still need to get the piece of driveshaft out so I can remove the 24mm nut holding the flange.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Spray the crap out of it with penetrating oil, let it sit. Tap it with a hammer. I was able to get mine out by using one of the threaded holes in the back of the flange and threading a bolt in. Obviously 6 of the holes will have no effect since the piece you're trying to get out has holes in it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The flange is held on with a nut.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update! Finally got that piece out. I soaked the flange in rust solvent overnight, then hit it from the back with an air hammer (through the holes in the back of the flange, using a bolt). Was able to access the 24mm nut and remove the flange itself, too. Thanks everyone who chimed in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts