SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read every post regarding fuel filter locations and have even called IPD. Everyone says it is located in front of the rear passenger side tire. I can not find it. I have a 2004 S60 2.5T. If anyone can help or send a pic I would be deeply grateful.

~Ready to cry in Ohio

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: There isn't a fuel filter in my car (Miller62406)

Here you go buddy.
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Wow. If I didn't know where my fuel filter was, that diagram would have been of absolutely no help to me...

It is located just in front of the rear passenger tire. It's on the bottom of the car. (You are looking under your car, right?) I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow for ya.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: (StarmanDXE)

Quote, originally posted by StarmanDXE »
Wow. If I didn't know where my fuel filter was, that diagram would have been of absolutely no help to me...

It is located just in front of the rear passenger tire. It's on the bottom of the car. (You are looking under your car, right?) I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow for ya.

Well since the diagram is more than apparently a diagram of a fuel tank with components and you can easily identify the fuel filler neck... You know the place where you put gas in your car, (back by the right rear passenger tire) then it would give him a better place to look, based on the diagram than where he was looking before. It's too bad not all of us can be ultra intelligent college students.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything on the diagram looks exactly like mine except for the location of the fuel filter. It isnt there. There is however A LOT of silver undercoating. Im wondering... could it be hidden behind that? I highly doubt it. Appreciate the help thus far.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Re: (kmg_S60R)

Quote, originally posted by kmg_S60R »
Well since the diagram is more than apparently a diagram of a fuel tank with components and you can easily identify the fuel filler neck... You know the place where you put gas in your car, (back by the right rear passenger tire) then it would give him a better place to look, based on the diagram than where he was looking before.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. I guess I'd just need someone to give me that starting block and I'd be able to find it with that diagram. Or maybe I'll just blame it on the fact that it was late. (And I was tired
)

Quote, originally posted by kmg_S60R »
It's too bad not all of us can be ultra intelligent college students.
Ouch. Everyone always with the personal insults! (Well, as much as can be gleamed from the site...)

(You know, I really wasn't necessarily saying anything bad about you or your diagram. What I said could be interpreted as more of a slight to me...
)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

LOL... No hard feelings... I was just being a bugger cause I thought I was being helpful.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Re: (Miller62406)

Well, here's what my car looks like:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Easiest fuel filter change EVAR.

it pops out, and snaps in.

Dont forget to release pressure via the little tire inflation valve thingy.

Also bring rags.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Does under your car look more like these?

If so, than you are the lucky owner of a s60 with a steel gas tank. In my time, and the hundreds of s60s ive worked on, you would only be the third that ive personally seen. One that hit a tire re-tread on the highway and split their tank open end to end (fun). Mine (my personal S60) being the second.

If im not mistaken, the filter is either integrated into the gas tank itself, or into the fuel pump. Either way, ive never replaced the fuel filter on a steel tank car, and cant say that ive ever seen one either. Ill see if i can look it up on VIDA tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: (Turb04S60)

I own another 2004 2.5T without an external fuel filter. I have the VADIS and it didn't show anything about not having an external filter. I traced the fuel lines and couldn't find it. The independent shop I use couldn't find it. So I finally went to the dealer and they said it didn't have an external filter. They did say something about the tank was different, may have been steel instead of plastic. The car hasn't been wrecked and there's no sign of any damage so it looks factory to me. The dealer also said there's a sock type filter on the pump which is pretty common on other cars even when there's an external filter. So I didn't worry about it and haven't added an external filter. Maybe there are particular build dates that were done this way. If interested we could compare build dates.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Well, I get an "F" for the day!

I thought I had released the pressure in the fuel system (by twisting that little knob on the line which feeds the filter) and pulled the line off the outlet of the filter. Turns out I hadn't gotten the pressure out as it blew gasoline all over the ground... (I didn't do any pressure bleeding on my 850 and it didn't spray any fuel or anything. Some trickled, but not spray...) Luckily, I didn't get any in my eyes (as I failed to put on the glasses which I keep in the spare tire well) and I also didn't think to use any gloves (which I also keep in the spare tire well...) Good thing I don't work on my car very often...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

Quote, originally posted by StarmanDXE »
Well, I get an "F" for the day!

I thought I had released the pressure in the fuel system (by twisting that little knob on the line which feeds the filter) and pulled the line off the outlet of the filter. Turns out I hadn't gotten the pressure out as it blew gasoline all over the ground... (I didn't do any pressure bleeding on my 850 and it didn't spray any fuel or anything. Some trickled, but not spray...) Luckily, I didn't get any in my eyes (as I failed to put on the glasses which I keep in the spare tire well) and I also didn't think to use any gloves (which I also keep in the spare tire well...) Good thing I don't work on my car very often...
To release the pressure just use a flat screwdriver and open the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Re: (Turbos60)

Quote, originally posted by Turbos60 »
To release the pressure just use a flat screwdriver and open the schrader valve on the fuel rail.
Hopefully someone else will get that message... (And now I know for ~30k miles from now when I replace the filter again...)

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts