SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll start by saying I have no intention on doing this, I’m simply curious what it would take. My friend recently told me he has a used K04 turbocharger, which got me thinking - what would it take to create a twin turbo setup with two K04s? I know we rarely see twins on any car with less than 6 cylinders, but I’m just being hypothetical.

Would it be possible to connect the turbos sequentially (in place of a portion of the downpipe)? And would the combined pressure be too much for the engine? I know plenty of T5 owners swap the K04 for a K16, but I’m not sure what level of pressure would be too high.

Obviously a task like this would require a completely custom tune and probably high performance fuel injectors. What else would be needed in terms of parts, fabrication, etc?

Sorry if it seems like I’m trying to ask about something pointless or near-impossible. I’m just a curious young car guy looking to learn from people more experienced than myself :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought inline twin turbos a good idea, and maybe they aren't, but they were on the 959, so what do I know?

But good luck finding a second turbo to work properly with the existing K04, let alone a place to put a second turbo. I imagine the engineering is rather extensive.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I can't think of a twin turbo system in use that has our exhaust system. Most twins have their own exhaust manifold, think V engines. I saw a mechanical engineering article about a concept engine where each cylinder had its own turbo though. Maybe if you made a custom exhaust manifold that split so each turbo got 2.5 cylinders worth of exhaust?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have thought of this as well, just for fun. Two K04 (in parallel) would be interesting, but in any case packaging them behind the engine of P1 with all the piping clearing frame etc would be quite tricky. Also, how would the exhaust manifold be split for two turbos - split from "common collector", semi separate to "2.5" cylinders or completely isolate to 2 and 3 (could be one slightly smaller and one bigger turbo for some balance)...?
It would probably be wiser to adapt a modern single turbo that can do the job more efficiently.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Supercharger and turbo set ups have been done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts