SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"We should get a bigger car"

Guess I have to do it... We're looking at the outback as a replacement, not sure if it'll be better to trade it in or sell it privately.

In the SF Bay area, Black 2010 T5 R-D AWD M66 @ 51k miles and no mods. I heard in CA the tax amount is on the value of the new car instead of like most places where it is the value of the new car minus the tradein allowance. Anyone have experience going either route, like time it takes to sell generally?

·
Registered
656 Posts
A manual in San Fran, Kudos! Alternative; get load bars and nice Thule or Yakima roof box. Cargo space doubled.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Me personally, I'd sell my wife.

I was never too fond of her anyway :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me personally, I'd sell my wife.

I was never too fond of her anyway :)
Haha that's unfortunately not an option. It's extremely hard to get a comparison on my S40, I can't find anything comparable on craigslist, autotrader, or ebay. KBB / NADA / ClearBook give wildly different price ranges and it's difficult to figure out if a dealer is completely ripping me off.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
dont trade it in. i think sell it privately is the best option. Give your self time to find the right buyer and you could still get a good bit of money for that car.
Whats KBB and others saying?
I think you should be able to get $15-$17k for it privately, dealers may ask for $18-k. Maybe $12k as a trade-in. But honestly thats just from looking at prices of these cars all the time- not from real experience and being a car sales-person or something.
i think $16k is more than fair though- you've basically got a new car.

edit: i hope im at least in the ballpark with those numbers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
A Subaru??? Turn in your man card!

·
Registered
199 Posts
+1 on the wife selling. What's the KBB on her?
I'm sure I'd lose money (have to pay someone to take her), but the long term savings would be like going from an 85 Bronco to a Tesla.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I looked at the XC60 as well, that's also an option. But it does look like selling it privately is going to be way better, dealer tried to completely lowball saying there's no demand for my S40, yeah right...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Try another dealer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts