SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1641 - 1652 of 1652 Posts

· Registered
3,446 Posts
XC100 really was supposed to happen for the SPA platform. Dealers had been told the project was a 100% green light for production. Then factor in the pandemic, supply chain issues, extreme financial turbulence and......well, it just didn't happen. Mix in a lot of internal "conflict" with management playing musical chairs and the immense resources AAOS and the EX90 sucked up, and it made sense that project just didn't happen. Volvo 100% intended for it, and they told their dealers it was on the way. Like so many other cars, all the "cool" stuff is disappearing as no one can even build enough boring transportation pods for the masses....let alone something fun and cool.

· Registered
810 Posts
Thanks VolvoFaRmeR, that's very interesting. Haken Samuelsson confirmed the "larger than XC90 and smaller than XC40" products in an interview with Autocar. I thought it was to be SPA-2 based not SPA. If SPA that makes it a 2012-2018 window for it's development. I guess the EX90 Excellence and potential LWB version could pick up that XC100 segment. I wonder how far the XC100 got i.e. design sketches, clay models, plastic full size models or if any body shell engineering was started etc.

· Registered
810 Posts
Actually SPA work started in 2010 and the seeds of the project started even before Ford sold Volvo as they started to plan for Ford selling them so for full independence (a Swedish investment group was looking to buy Volvo) or to have something to replace EUCD if the new owners (as a car company) didn't have anything suitable. VEA engine development started around the same time. So the SPA development window was 2010-2019 albeit Geely has continued design for production work with e.g. the Lynk and Co 09.

Hakan Samuelsson interview was with Auto Express, referenced here. In 2019 talking about an SUV larger than the XC90 and one smaller than the XC40.

So maybe there was an SPA based XC100 and then that shifted to being an SPA-2 XC100 and now not happening?

But I would think like the S90L the EX90 LWB / EX90L could cover that gap more cost effectively than a completely standalone XC100 product.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
I recall reading about XC100 and XC120 - one product or two? Expanded XC90 and/or MPV? SPA or SPA2?

I also recall XC90 SPA2 was originally planned for MY22 from SC, just a six year run for XC90 SPA.

Volvo MPV PHEV would have been a compromise wife and I could have made several years ago. Still think Volvo should do MPV, but won't be right for NA until charging infrastructure evolves for another 10 years or so.

I still want to see photos of the XC90 P3 that was canx by Ford.

· Registered
810 Posts
I recall reading about XC100 and XC120 - one product or two? Expanded XC90 and/or MPV? SPA or SPA2?

I also recall XC90 SPA2 was originally planned for MY22 from SC, just a six year run for XC90 SPA.

Volvo MPV PHEV would have been a compromise wife and I could have made several years ago. Still think Volvo should do MPV, but won't be right for NA until charging infrastructure evolves for another 10 years or so.

I still want to see photos of the XC90 P3 that was canx by Ford.
Never heard of the XC120 project but interesting that it could be the MPV actually as the info leaks out etc.

· Registered
810 Posts
Technically Håkan was saying the true as the EX90 is 8cm ( 3 inches?) longer than the XC90 and the EX30 is on its way.
True :)

Like the S100, Geely wants a product in that market as none of their brands are there.

So like the S90L being the compromise that got Geely the car it wanted and Volvo could be cautious and not make a bespoke standalone model, I think the way to deliver an XC100 is to do a LWB EX90

1641 - 1652 of 1652 Posts