SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1601 - 1620 of 1652 Posts

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Polyphemus was big and ugly
I'm really curious to see what upcoming XC90 refresh looks like, how it might shoot the gap between current and EX90, and whether both PHEV and non-PHEV get the same treatment. Or perhaps PHEV moves closer to EX90, with milder changes for non-PHEV. Very little speculation online re: what's coming. Lynk 09 might offer some clues.

I'm guessing reveal happens later in winter, perhaps following another dealer meeting in Miami ~Feb? Can't find any such speculation re: meeting or reveal timing.

· Registered
66 Posts
I'm really curious to see what upcoming XC90 refresh looks like, how it might shoot the gap between current and EX90, and whether both PHEV and non-PHEV get the same treatment. Or perhaps PHEV moves closer to EX90, with milder changes for non-PHEV. Very little speculation online re: what's coming. Lynk 09 might offer some clues.

I'm guessing reveal happens later in winter, perhaps following another dealer meeting in Miami ~Feb? Can't find any such speculation re: meeting or reveal timing.
My guess, one feature they need and should add - a 6.6kw on board charger v. the paltry 3.3kw that takes almost 6 hrs to charge a ER T8. Even a RAV4 prime has a optional 6.6kw. Volvo is falling way behind on that.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
My guess, one feature they need and should add - a 6.6kw on board charger v. the paltry 3.3kw that takes almost 6 hrs to charge a ER T8. Even a RAV4 prime has a optional 6.6kw. Volvo is falling way behind on that.
I’ve read the charger upgrade lands across the range for model year 2024.

· Registered
2022 XC60 Recharge T8 Inscription
324 Posts
I’ve read the charger upgrade lands across the range for model year 2024.
I won't buy another Volvo with a 3.xkw charger. If the 6.6kw is actually spec'd in the 2024 I'll be able to wait for it. If not, my $ will likely go elsewhere. A XC60 or 90 with ~34 miles of range and being able to add 5 or 6 miles per hour of charging (I'm basing that on doubling my current 3 miles per hour on household 120v) would mean I would need to buy very, very little gas with our driving pattern.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Reactions: AvocadoFarm

· Registered
3,069 Posts
I won't buy another Volvo with a 3.xkw charger. If the 6.6kw is actually spec'd in the 2024 I'll be able to wait for it. If not, my $ will likely go elsewhere. A XC60 or 90 with ~34 miles of range and being able to add 5 or 6 miles per hour of charging (I'm basing that on doubling my current 3 miles per hour on household 120v) would mean I would need to buy very, very little gas with our driving pattern.
Does 6.6kw translate to ~28 amps? My breakers are 50, so deliver up to 40. Just had a neighbor with new Tesla 3 come over to test new outlets, got 32 amps. But I think he’s got 7.7kw onboard charger.

· Registered
1,501 Posts
Does 6.6kw translate to ~28 amps?
Yes (if everything in the circuit, ie wiring, fuses, etc can handle the current).

The power (W) formula is current (A) * voltage (V) aka P = i * v.

Assuming v = 240 V and P = 6600 W then i = P / v = 6600 / 240 = 27.5 A.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Yes (if everything in the circuit, ie wiring, fuses, etc can handle the current).

The power (W) formula is current (A) * voltage (V) aka P = i * v.

Assuming v = 240 V and P = 6600 W then i = P / v = 6600 / 240 = 27.5 A.
Is there a reason Volvo wouldn't goal-seek to 32 amps (7.7 kW)? I watched my neighbor's Tesla count to 32 amps and hold there for the duration of his visit. 16-32-40 amps (as 80% of 20-40-50 amps) strike me as more common, by comparison is 27.5 amps kind of random?

"A general rule for plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs) is they cannot accept input greater than what a 32 amp charger allows. For EVs in general, if the vehicle’s maximum acceptance rate is 7.7kW or less, then a 32 amp charger is the limit of what your EV will accept."

· Registered
3,069 Posts

· Registered
3,069 Posts

· Registered
810 Posts
I've noticed the trend of lower kW chargers on plug in hybrids. Not sure why. I guess the presumption is they don't need the rapid charging capability as they have an engine and so there isn't the need to make sure they can rapidly charge as the battery isn't the only means of propulsion. As PHEVs get larger batteries and greater range (Geely is pushing long range PHEVs as a product now) this seems to swing the need back again for PHEVs to be able to rapid charge to cater to the greatness EV-ness of the product.

· Registered
2022 XC60 Recharge T8 Inscription
324 Posts
I've noticed the trend of lower kW chargers on plug in hybrids. Not sure why. I guess the presumption is they don't need the rapid charging capability as they have an engine and so there isn't the need to make sure they can rapidly charge as the battery isn't the only means of propulsion. As PHEVs get larger batteries and greater range (Geely is pushing long range PHEVs as a product now) this seems to swing the need back again for PHEVs to be able to rapid charge to cater to the greatness EV-ness of the product.
I believe it was in an Out of Spec Youtube video featuring the then-new 2022 XC60 Extended Range that an engineer from Volvo made a comment about their battery strategy that may give some insight into their use of lower kW chargers. Basically he said that the idea is to provide enough range with an overnight charge to commute to work where you "recharge" the car and then drive home. I've read that the current spec 3.6 kW charger on U.S. household 110/120v, 15/20A current will charge the ER battery in 8 hours or less, certainly fast enough for "overnight". He didn't say anything about the charger, but I can see why the first model years had a low kW charger as they learned about the battery characteristics and longevity. Now, I can't help but wonder if a faster charger portends a larger capacity battery in the 2025 PHEV models? That would be awesome.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Now, I can't help but wonder if a faster charger portends a larger capacity battery in the 2025 PHEV models? That would be awesome.
I think the reverse has happened, larger battery for MY22.5 portended a faster onboard charger.

· Registered
3,069 Posts

· Registered
1,501 Posts

· Registered
810 Posts
I think it's worth doing the Excellence and the LWB versions to take on e.g. Range Rover in this segment. Geely wanted Volvo to make an S100 on the SPA platform but Volvo was nervous and resistant. They were a small independent car manufacturer for a long time so it feels like they are cautious when moving into new segments. "Hurry up slowly" as the Swedes say. That is changing now due to new people but also now being part of a big international group of brands. In the end the compromise was the S90L, 4 seat version, lounge concept and Excellence versions. Lower risk as a LWB of an existing model and a cheaper option too. A compromise between Volvo being cautious of going into a bigger and more expensive segment and Geely wanting to have presence there with one of their brands. To keep moving into that space Volvo needs to keep trying to build the brand image. Range Rover have incrementally moved into the luxury SUV space since the 2nd generation i.e. 1994. So Volvo can't try it once and leave the segment. Need to build the brand as an option there. So I think they will stick with or keep going with the EX90 Excellence (4 seater and also 3 seater), maybe a LWB version too.

Volvo's brand image is quite different in China. As one Volvo person I spoke to put it, "They never got the 240, the 740 or the 850 so the boxy, safe and sensible image just doesn't apply to us there".

I think Volvo should offer these versions in the EU and US as well. Get them into diplomatic fleets, chauffer services, some movies etc to build the brand as an option in this space.

Audi was a mainstream brand in the mid to late 1990s similar in kudos to a VW. It took a concerted and consistent effort to move Audi into more luxurious segments with larger models and sportier models to move it up to being alongside Mercedes and BMW. Lexus took 10 years in the EU to be seen as an alternative (on the luxury side d they never really went for the sporty image) to those brands.

So you need a long term plan and a consistent effort to move into these segments. Not start and stop.

1601 - 1620 of 1652 Posts