SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
721 - 740 of 780 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Even if they were to use Embla in the English markets, I don't think it is possible to beat Audi with its e-tron name they refuse to change for other markets.... In French, "étron" litterally means "turd"...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Thanks? I am French speaking ;) so I don't need English-based auto articles to confirm words in my language 🤣
More for others' context. And excuse to post that Subaru photo.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Remember the Datsun 240Z? In Japan it was named the Datsun Fairlady. (Even company's name Datsun eventually got changed to Nissan.)

And to think that was even before focus groups were invented so it was self evident from the start that what sells in Japan wouldn't sell in the United States. Likewise maybe Embla works on the European Continent, but no way here and that is just from this thread's focus group.

The suggestion above to alter the name Embla to Emblaze for the American market is a no brainer. Volvo can still claim the tie to Norse mythology without embarrassing itself in the same way Nissan's predecessor would have been the laughing stock of this country with the name Fairlady.
yea, agree. feminine names for cars just dont work too well in the USA.

·
Registered
550 Posts
What's all this fuss about?

Yes, Volvo will start to use names for their cars. But they know the effect of wrong naming too and do have a strong NA subsidiary to guide them.
And give them some credits too: I believe ‘Thor Hammer’ for some LED bulbs is quite genius.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
What's all this fuss about?
Either you happen to know its not going to be Embalm Emblah Embla, or you haven't read this thread recently.

And if you think this is a fuss, check out the Spyware thread.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Of course I've read it.

Yes Volvo trademarked a name. So what? Anyone an idea how many names they trademarked before or for what reason? We’ve had so many rumours before and too often they turned out to be false. They are so mysterious about the projects we didn’t se any prototype yet.
And we’ve to believe they registered a name in such a way everyone could find out? Or so obvious in Nordic Europe there are dozens of companies with such name, and all domain names forgiven?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Of course I've read it.

Yes Volvo trademarked a name. So what? Anyone an idea how many names they trademarked before or for what reason? We’ve had so many rumours before and too often they turned out to be false. They are so mysterious about the projects we didn’t se any prototype yet.
Certainly hoping its a headfake, but it has that so-bad-it-must-be-true dread attached to it.

Perhaps lesson learned from when I first read about the handbag and assumed it was satire.

·
Registered
128 Posts
yea, agree. feminine names for cars just dont work too well in the USA.
Maybe this time, things will change and improve for the better. There are more female buyers in automobile than males recently in the US. I need to find that article as it was written not long ago.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mach E is the perfect name (but of course Ford had to add the Mustang label to it) or anything with E in it. I'm not sure Volvo needed to change the name beyond putting an E in front of it like E-XC90. Volvo going to names just doesn't make sense to me.

But, the car has to deliver. It can have a goofy name but if it delivers, that's what matters.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Mach E is the perfect name (but of course Ford had to add the Mustang label to it) or anything with E in it. I'm not sure Volvo needed to change the name beyond putting an E in front of it like E-XC90. Volvo going to names just doesn't make sense to me.

But, the car has to deliver. It can have a goofy name but if it delivers, that's what matters.
Mach E-Blah?

Actually Chrysler had it decades ago:
Wood Font Material property Rectangle Hardwood

Tire Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle

Motor vehicle Font Gas Rectangle Wood

·
Registered
266 Posts
E class is Mercedes mid-sized luxury car. And Volvo used Drive-E for their 4-cylinder cars when introduced. So "E" can symbolize electric or not.

I don't really love naming premium cars. They've gone by alpha-numeric for a long time, only a few had names and the ones I could think of are Rolls, Bentley, and sporty Italians from Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari and Lamborghini. Also Porsche uses them.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
E class is Mercedes mid-sized luxury car. And Volvo used Drive-E for their 4-cylinder cars when introduced. So "E" can symbolize electric or not.
I vaguely recall Chrysler actually was first to brand with “E Class” badge. Everyone thought it was lifted from MB, but technically not. And oh so craptastic.

Drive-E Class M-Blah?

I’m feeling onset holiday lunacy coming on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Personally, I'm looking forward to actual names. Alphanumeric names sound so clinical to me (Toyota bZ4X anyone? :oops:).
Lol.

The king/queen of cold numeric/one letter labels are the Germans. S Class, 3 Series, A7. They built their whole automobile empire around it. ;)

I agree with @02s80 they can call it whatever as long as the car delivers it’s purpose. IMO, few will care.

Reactions: 02s80

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I vaguely recall Chrysler actually was first to brand with “E Class” badge. Everyone thought it was lifted from MB, but technically not. And oh so craptastic.

Drive-E Class M-Blah?

I’m feeling onset holiday lunacy coming on.
Would have to check the time line to make sure, but Chrysler was Mercedes (i.e. merged) for awhile. Good chance then that the MB origin would still hold.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Would have to check the time line to make sure, but Chrysler was Mercedes (i.e. merged) for awhile. Good chance then that the MB origin would still hold.
Available only for the 1983 and 1984 model years… The E-Class came with decklid badging that would have been litigiously close to the badging on W123 Benzes, had anyone in Stuttgart taken the Chrysler seriously (imagine the hilarity that would have ensued, had the Daimler-Chrysler "merger" taken place in 1984).

Per Mercedes-Benz tradition (prior to the 1994 change), model designation corresponded to the engine displacement, chassis type (coupé or estate/station wagon), fuel type (for diesel engines only), and availability of fuel injection system (for petrol engines only)…

- E for Einspritzung (fuel injection)

e.g. Mercedes-Benz 240D (W123) saloon, Mercedes-Benz 280 CE (C123)

Reactions: northcar
721 - 740 of 780 Posts