SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
701 - 720 of 780 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Some fresh coverage on Concept Recharge (I like the wool…) -

Good new pictures. I don't love the wool placed on the top of the dash. That probably won't make it to the production car. But the materials, overall, look interesting. But a good amount of the interior will change for the production car. Good idea to show the car and not the nonsense they were showing a few weeks ago. I hope it can make the rounds in auto shows like the Precept has.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Good new pictures. I don't love the wool placed on the top of the dash. That probably won't make it to the production car. But the materials, overall, look interesting. But a good amount of the interior will change for the production car. Good idea to show the car and not the nonsense they were showing a few weeks ago. I hope it can make the rounds in auto shows like the Precept has.
DC show in Jan 2022, really hope its there. Probably worth a bit of investment to get it out there, even though I'd agree that motor shows may never recover from pandemic, they were already dying anyways (no pun).

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
According to some swedish media, next Volvo BEV will be named after the old norse mythology. The "Embla" named has been registered.
I don't like this name. :) For American market, they better use some word that is familiar to English speakers. It is better to just call it Thor.

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I don't like this name. :) For American market, they better use some word that is familiar to English speakers. It is better to just call it Thor.
Yeah that was posted recently somewhere here. "Emblah"? Terrible.

Thor, or perhaps Sven?

Art Darkness Cg artwork Painting Event

Reactions: likeXC90

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Thor and Sven may be too masculine. But they're better than Embla.
Embla - Icelandic, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, means "uncertain"

How about “Signe” meaning “the one who is victorious" ?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Literally almost anything is better than "Em-blah". Please tell me this is just a bad rumor with no basis in fact . . .

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
the word embla, emla, signifies a busy woman, from amr, ambr, aml, ambl, assiduous labour; the same relation as Meshia and Meshiane, the ancient Persian names of the first man and woman, who were also formed from trees.

Old Norse Embla, “Water Pot”

"formed from trees"? "water pot"? - maybe that's a desired link to sustainability? Still, terrible.

I'll again pitch Signe, name of Scandinavian origin meaning "new victory".

Maybe "Evolve" ? Starts w/ Ev, represents advancement, and very close to 'Volvo' visually. Maybe too close, might be better for marketing spin. Emote? Emotive? Evolute? Evelate? (Eve OK, late not so much).

Or write a check to RR to buy Evoque - what a great name to put on EV, RR should repurpose it for EV sub-branding.

Even just Emblem would be better than Emblah. If the clowns on this board are already mocking it, just wait for broader audience.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
"Hakan Samuelsson, the company’s CEO, has told Automotive News Europe that the name will start with a vowel. Not long before Samuelsson’s remark, we noticed that the company had filed a new trademark application for the name ‘Embla.’ Samuelsson said we’ll get to know the name in March 2022."

Ember?
Embroider?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Emblaze?
Emblazon?

They trademarked "Em-blah"? Oooh no . . .
Can't wait for the Post from the Gym that explains it.

I'm gravitating to Signe and Ember. Even Emblem is (much) better.
  • Signe is a given name used in the Nordic and Baltic countries, derived from Old Norse sigr (victory) and nýr (new).
  • Ember is a glowing fragment from a fire.
There will be much more mockery if its Emblah. This is only the cruel, harsh beginning.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Encyclopedia Britannica -

"Askr and Embla, in Norse mythology, the first man and first woman, respectively, parents of the human race."

It follows their hints - Seems like Embla will be it

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

"Askr and Embla, in Norse mythology, the first man and first woman, respectively, parents of the human race."

Also too close to EMBlog.

And embolism. Emblahism?

Horrifying.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Also too close to EMBlog.

And embolism. Emblahism?

Horrifying.
I didn't want to go there but since this door is opened now . . .

Embalm (to fix in a static position)
Embar (to imprison)
Embezzle (to fraudulently use to one's benefit)
Embowel (to remove the substance of)
Embrue (to stain)

What other creative wordsmiths are out there? Gotta work the other side of the brain once in a while!

·
Registered
95 Posts

Remember the Datsun 240Z? In Japan it was named the Datsun Fairlady. (Even company's name Datsun eventually got changed to Nissan.)

And to think that was even before focus groups were invented so it was self evident from the start that what sells in Japan wouldn't sell in the United States. Likewise maybe Embla works on the European Continent, but no way here and that is just from this thread's focus group.

The suggestion above to alter the name Embla to Emblaze for the American market is a no brainer. Volvo can still claim the tie to Norse mythology without embarrassing itself in the same way Nissan's predecessor would have been the laughing stock of this country with the name Fairlady.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm kind of down for Embalm.

701 - 720 of 780 Posts