SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
681 - 700 of 780 Posts

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
I meant to say 3.6 kW charger, not 3.6 amp. I'm not an engineer, but I understand that the onboard charger is the limitation for charging speed with a L2 AC charger. Is that not right?
Yes true. The most powerful house outlet is NEMA 14-50 eg 240V/50AMP. It is of course better if the car can do 40amp charging on it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is why I'm waiting a few years to buy one. They'll be getting a lot better in the not too distant future. Volvo and Polestar have a lot coming. The Polestar 4 looks very interesting to me, and I'll be interested in what Volvo will be doing around that size also.
Polestar 4 will probably be the equivalent to the electric successor of the XC60, with a more aerodynamic roofline and a sharper design.

That's how I expect Volvo's and Polestar's future. The concept cars Precept and Recharge already have very similar interiors, and we're going to see how similar Polestar 3 and the electric successor of the XC90 will be.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have been wondering for a while now, Volvo has upgrade its T6 / 8 hybrids, but how is the following possible:
T6 = 250 + 145 = combined power 350
T8 = 310 + 145 = combined power 455

Did I something miss in math or we indirectly got the right value of power namely 145 electric hp is equal to 100 hp and ex T6/8 electric 87 hp is only 60 real hp. So upgraded T8 is obvious 410 hp which is great.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The current one is not 3.6amps. It is 240V/16A. I am fine to let it charge at night for 5-6 hours, 0-6am, no problem. If you charge at work maybe you want it done sooner. But it is not an issue if you get only 10miles not 20 miles range from free charger at work. It is free, no complaint. :)
I did terribly in my EE classes many years ago...

Does this mean that the car won't charge any better on a public, super-duper charger-whatever than it will in my garage?
How do Volvo's EVs compare re: charging limitations? Eager to better understand something that I don't understand at all.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have been wondering for a while now, Volvo has upgrade its T6 / 8 hybrids, but how is the following possible:
T6 = 250 + 145 = combined power 350
T8 = 310 + 145 = combined power 455

Did I something miss in math or we indirectly got the right value of power namely 145 electric hp is equal to 100 hp and ex T6/8 electric 87 hp is only 60 real hp. So upgraded T8 is obvious 410 hp which is great.
depending of the tune, the peak HP of the motor and the peak HP of engine don´t always top at the same rpm.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Does this mean that the car won't charge any better on a public, super-duper charger-whatever than it will in my garage?
How do Volvo's EVs compare re: charging limitations? Eager to better understand something that I don't understand at all.
I've already exposed my ignorance here re: the workings of the charging system, but based on what I've read you are basically correct if your garage is equipped with a Level 2 charger (240 volt, 40 amps). That's the same as a public charger. The T8 can't be charged with a direct current "fast charger". Ok, now someone who actually knows what they're talking about can please give us the right answer...

·
Registered
7,638 Posts

It only does up to 240V/16Amp AC charging on current T8. It won't drain more than that even when your outlet can offer 240V/40Amp. And it doesn't plug to any DC charge cable. This is same on home and public charger. Sorry no magic.

Reactions: AvocadoFarm

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I've already exposed my ignorance here re: the workings of the charging system, but based on what I've read you are basically correct if your garage is equipped with a Level 2 charger (240 volt, 40 amps). That's the same as a public charger. The T8 can't be charged with a direct current "fast charger". Ok, now someone who actually knows what they're talking about can please give us the right answer...
It only does up to 240V/16Amp AC charging on current T8. It won't drain more than that even when your outlet can offer 240V/40Amp. And it doesn't plug to any DC charge cable. This is same on home and public charger. Sorry no magic.
OK so when I get my garage wired in the next year or so, I expect I'll be doing 50 amp wire which has max sustained output 40 amp (w/ NEMA 14-50 being the best outlet choice?). But as configured now, today's Volvos (PHEV only? EV too?) can only draw 16 amp. And they do no better on a public charger or megacharger? Is any of that right?

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is why I'm waiting a few years to buy one. They'll be getting a lot better in the not too distant future. Volvo and Polestar have a lot coming. The Polestar 4 looks very interesting to me, and I'll be interested in what Volvo will be doing around that size also.
This video is an example of what's possible today in the real world for EV range and charging. As I have said earlier, to have this experience you must have deep pockets and an adequate fast charging infrastructure. Here is an Audi E-Tron GT, a car with 225 mile range being charged from empty to full. This video reveals the real capability you want to look for in your EV, and it's not just the range number. Understanding a car's charging curve on a DC fast charger tells you how a practical road-tripper it will be.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK so when I get my garage wired in the next year or so, I expect I'll be doing 50 amp wire which has max sustained output 40 amp (w/ NEMA 14-50 being the best outlet choice?). But as configured now, today's Volvos (PHEV only? EV too?) can only draw 16 amp. And they do no better on a public charger or megacharger? Is any of that right?
XC40 P8 charges around 150kW (peak) on a DC charger. Don't know about US spec but EU spec has 11kW AC charger. So 3 phases 16 Amps (3 x 230Volts x 16Amps = 11kW). So on par AC charging and good peak power on DC. Not the best but ok.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
The EVs, XC40/C40 P8 Recharge could draw 40amp. Otherwise it is not acceptable.

Charging with Level 1. NEMA 5-15P. Charging with 120 V and 12 A.

Charging with Level 2. NEMA 6-20P. Charging with 240 V and 16 A.

Charging with Level 2. NEMA 14-50P. Charging with 240 V and 40 A.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The EVs, XC40/C40 P8 Recharge could draw 40amp. Otherwise it is not acceptable.

Charging with Level 1. NEMA 5-15P. Charging with 120 V and 12 A.

Charging with Level 2. NEMA 6-20P. Charging with 240 V and 16 A.

Charging with Level 2. NEMA 14-50P. Charging with 240 V and 40 A.
This is the first I've noticed Volvo offering a cable w/ NEMA 14-50 (40 amp) adapter, last I recall only the 6-20 (16 amp) was offered on that cable.

NEMA 5-15P plug & NEMA 6-20P plug (Mode 2)
Part. No.

NEMA 14-50P plug & NEMA 5-15P plug (Mode 2)
Part. No.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Out of Spec reviewer is very thorough and knowledgable about EVs and just about any type of car. I love to view his videos even if they are a bit lengthy. Yes, the car's charging curve is very important. I think we'll see a lot of improvement in charging curves and networks in the years to come. The trick is to get the networks into out-of-the-way and more rural areas.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The current XC90s are limited by their internal 3.3kW charger and the physical connector (SAE J1772 in the USA, IEC 62196 type 2 in Europe). So these super duper fast chargers don't even have a physical connector compatible with the Volvo's SAE J1772, and it is not electrically compatible either. So the current (USA) XC90s (and apparently the larger battery ones arriving 2022Q1{?} in the USA, unfortunately aaargh) are stuck with Level2 charging, period.

Side note: the USA is still bickering about what the charging standard should be (out of our current 4) versus China and Europe who have already chosen one for their countries.

The only way to charge faster on an XC90 is for Volvo to release a new XC90 with a new charger and hardware (connector, etc) compatible with fast charging or for a current owner to revamp their entire XC90's charger, electrical system, software, and likely battery system to handle faster charging - not impossible but very, very, very, very challenging.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Side note: the USA is still bickering about what the charging standard should be (out of our current 4) versus China and Europe who have already chosen one for their countries.

The only way to charge faster on an XC90 is for Volvo to release a new XC90 with a new charger and hardware (connector, etc) compatible with fast charging or for a current owner to revamp their entire XC90's charger, electrical system, software, and likely battery system to handle faster charging - not impossible but very, very, very, very challenging.
Good info - would you bet on NEMA 14-50 vs. 6-50?

Best Plug Type for EV Charging | Enel X

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
681 - 700 of 780 Posts