SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts

Volvo Cars aims to be the first car maker with a global footprint to use NVIDIA DRIVE Orin in its next generation models, based on the forthcoming SPA2 modular vehicle architecture. The first car featuring this SoC is the next generation Volvo XC90, which will be revealed next year.
So not only is the XC90 delayed from the original timeline Polestar 3 also got thrown under the bus?:unsure::cautious:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Interesting note is that we'll not see XC90 SPA2 revealed this year, but in 2022, presumably launching in 2H 2022 as MY23?

"...next generation models, based on the forthcoming SPA2 modular vehicle architecture. The first car featuring this SoC is the next generation Volvo XC90, which will be revealed next year."

·
Registered
212 Posts
XC100:
Yes:
  • Larger (VW Atlas size pls)
  • Better sound isolation -- don't care if it detracts from the MPG rating
  • More buttons for frequently used functions for ease of use and safety purposes (voice command does not fill this gap)
  • More power to match the current line ups weight to HP/TQ ratio.
  • A dip stick so I can change my oil
  • A temp gauge. Because I want one and the customer is always right.
  • T6 gas only engine.. might be convinced on a mild hybrid solution
  • Active cruise control that incorporated coasting (id like my brakes to last longer)
  • Heated windshield option
  • More inclusive HUD that can be obtained with the above mentioned heated windshield
  • A center screen that can be divided between two main functions. (ex: Android Auto and Sound system at same time).
No:
  • Fully automated drive mode. I'll never use it or trust it
  • Soft close doors. (no offense but this is just something else to break. stick your hand out and close your door)
  • Cheap looking grill insignia. Just because Mercedes did it doesn't make it the right answer. Current "new" grill ornaments are terrible. My 2017 is fine.
  • Everything in a menu on a touch screen and valuable real estate behind the shifter being used by a button that I use only twice every time I drive and never when I'm moving.
  • Cordless cell charger that current cell phones don't fit on and replaces a much more valuable cubby.

·
Registered
718CGTS
40 Posts
Standing beside you JFK w/ the below.
  • Better sound isolation -- don't care if it detracts from the MPG rating
  • More buttons for frequently used functions for ease of use and safety purposes (voice command does not fill this gap)
  • A temp gauge. Because I want one and the customer is always right.
  • Active cruise control that incorporated coasting (id like my brakes to last longer)
  • More inclusive HUD that can be obtained with the above mentioned heated windshield
  • A center screen that can be divided between two main functions. (ex: Android Auto and Sound system at same time).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is Volvo Up And Alive?

Sometimes, Volvo seems a bit like a sleeping bag company to me. So does it today. What's the latest thing they did?

• Last real new Volvo: February 2018 - Volvo V60 (S60 and CC were just derivates, as is the C40).
  • Last new Polestar: February 2019 - 2 (which will remain the brand's only car when production of the 1 stops soon).

The rest was only a concept car and some glorious news with glitter from their marcom department. What's next to expect from Volvo? XC90 and Polestar 3 next year, which could also mean December 2022.

Is Volvo Up And Alive?

Well, one wouldn't think so. Where goes all the money from Geely? Geely itself, as well as Lynk&Co release new cars and brands all couple of months, and Volvo sits on relatively conservative cars. Once deemed as forerunners on alternative powertrains, they are just being overtaken by VW, Mercedes and maybe BMW soon also.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I think its going to stay pretty quiet until SPA2 announcements begin - including their EV versions. I think we'll see XC90 SPA2 in winter 2022 for launch in fall as MY23. Then other SPA2 and EV vehicles will follow.

My biggest question remains why Volvo skipped "conventional" hybrid, as Toyota/Lexus have been doing for a long time. There's a big whitespace between mild hybrid (glorified stop-start + e-push) and PHEV. If Toyota (and soon, incl. Lexus new TX) can offer vehicles starting as conventional hybrid, why couldn't Volvo? Seems to me that's a far more impactful place to start vs. MHEV. But at this point, I expect most investment will be for EV, with some refinements to PHEV.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
It is very costly to build a new power train but sell only a small volume. If you want Toyota hybrid, have to get the e-cvt from Toyota too. 8AT won't work that way. The fuel save is also tiny. This is why only Ford did it other than Toyota. And still Ford hybrid Escape doesn't sell much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is Volvo Up And Alive?

Sometimes, Volvo seems a bit like a sleeping bag company to me. So does it today. What's the latest thing they did?

• Last real new Volvo: February 2018 - Volvo V60 (S60 and CC were just derivates, as is the C40).
  • Last new Polestar: February 2019 - 2 (which will remain the brand's only car when production of the 1 stops soon).

The rest was only a concept car and some glorious news with glitter from their marcom department. What's next to expect from Volvo? XC90 and Polestar 3 next year, which could also mean December 2022.

Is Volvo Up And Alive?

Well, one wouldn't think so. Where goes all the money from Geely? Geely itself, as well as Lynk&Co release new cars and brands all couple of months, and Volvo sits on relatively conservative cars. Once deemed as forerunners on alternative powertrains, they are just being overtaken by VW, Mercedes and maybe BMW soon also.
I think they should at least announce the timeline. Reveal in which quarter and in which quarter the sales will start. And I’m referring to both XC90 and Ps3

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
They should show some test car running with LiDAR Highway Pilot. This is really the next innovation they have. SPA2 power train is not much exciting. More battery capacity and HP on ERAD is what I expect.

Bigger AR-HUD will probably become common in a few years too, maybe even with hand gesture recognition.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
It is very costly to build a new power train but sell only a small volume. If you want Toyota hybrid, have to get the e-cvt from Toyota too. 8AT won't work that way. The fuel save is also tiny. This is why only Ford did it other than Toyota. And still Ford hybrid Escape doesn't sell much.
If your point is that 4x hybrid/EV powertrains don't add up, I agree.

But I do think Volvo shouldn't have bothered w/ MHEV, barely a half-measure. Should have gone standard conventional hybrid instead, even just to save all those restarts in congestion. Just today I was alongside an XC60 in some congestion. I counted about a dozen restarts in 10 min (MHEV won't prevent those). If that was an RX (conventional) hybrid, likely wouldn't have restarted at all.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
If your point is that 4x hybrid/EV powertrains don't add up, I agree.

But I do think Volvo shouldn't have bothered w/ MHEV, barely a half-measure. Should have gone standard conventional hybrid instead, even just to save all those restarts in congestion. Just today I was alongside an XC60 in some congestion. I counted about a dozen restarts in 10 min (MHEV won't prevent those). If that was an RX (conventional) hybrid, likely wouldn't have restarted at all.
Start/stop has nothing to do with MHEV and XC60 today doesn't have MHEV power train. It is a plain T5/T6.
You are shooting the wrong target.

Even for this annoying start/stop feature, it is helpful to reduce emission at traffic lights. It is just not possible to be implemented perfectly without human knowledge of the road condition. A wise driver could easily disable it in crawling traffic by swinging the shift stick to manual for just a second.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Start/stop has nothing to do with MHEV and XC60 today doesn't have MHEV power train. It is a plain T5/T6.
You are shooting the wrong target.

Even for this annoying start/stop feature, it is helpful to reduce emission at traffic lights. It is just not possible to be implemented perfectly without human knowledge of the road condition. A wise driver could easily disable it in crawling traffic by swinging the shift stick to manual for just a second.
MHEV is simply glorified stop-start with a bit of e-push. Can’t move one inch without ICE restart. What’s hard to follow there?

Toyota has had more capable hybrid tech since long ago, and seemingly hasn’t bothered to backtrack with MHEV 48v. It will be interesting how Lexus TX lands, e.g. 500h. I think it will blow open the big gap that Volvo has caused itself re: conventional hybrid.

Whether TX offers PHEV is another matter, I suspect not initially. And I will prefer a plug when our shopping time comes in a couple years.

·
Registered
448 Posts
They should show some test car running with LiDAR Highway Pilot.
So true! I find it very hard to look for a new car in 2021. I mean, who still buys an ICU car today if you have the opportunity to install an electric charger in your garage? And the choice of electric cars is still limited. The 40 Volvos don't have the Volvo feeling inside and thus are far too expensive, and the Polestar 2 would nail it, but as a sedan, it has the wrong form factor. This urges me to look at the competition (Skoda Enyaq or Audi Q4 Sportback for example) since Volvo/Polestar doesn't give a clear perspective of their future. I would love to buy another Volvo, but if they don't offer the right product, then there goes their customer!

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
So true! I find it very hard to look for a new car in 2021. I mean, who still buys an ICU car today if you have the opportunity to install an electric charger in your garage? And the choice of electric cars is still limited. The 40 Volvos don't have the Volvo feeling inside and thus are far too expensive, and the Polestar 2 would nail it, but as a sedan, it has the wrong form factor. This urges me to look at the competition (Skoda Enyaq or Audi Q4 Sportback for example) since Volvo/Polestar doesn't give a clear perspective of their future. I would love to buy another Volvo, but if they don't offer the right product, then there goes their customer!
Volvo will never make cheap EV like the size and price of Mustang Mach E or model 3. You need to look elsewhere if you expect to buy EV at similar price and size of ICE Volvo today. An EV in size and luxury level of XC90 or XC60 will be more expensive than XC40 P8. On the smaller end, C40 EV is coming next year, another smaller one will come later.

Volvo is saying EV will be half of the production 5 years from now. I don't see how it is possible with the much higher EV price (15K to 20k more than ICE cars) though.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
MHEV is simply glorified stop-start with a bit of e-push. Can’t move one inch without ICE restart. What’s hard to follow there?

Toyota has had more capable hybrid tech since long ago, and seemingly hasn’t bothered to backtrack with MHEV 48v. It will be interesting how Lexus TX lands. I think it will blow open the big gap that Volvo has caused itself re: conventional hybrid.

Whether TX offers PHEV is another matter, I suspect not initially. And I will prefer a plug when our shopping time comes in a couple years.
stop-start is just something you can still disable on MHEV car. You tie them up together for no reason. Fuel saving can still come from coasting with the tiny motor, eg, while engine stopped at unnoticeable moments.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
stop-start is just something you can still disable on MHEV car. You tie them up together for no reason. Fuel saving can still come from coasting with the tiny motor, eg, while engine stopped at unnoticeable moments.

My point is that conventional hybrid can advance the vehicle short distances/slow speeds. MHEV can’t budge the vehicle, so in my mind that’s effectively 48v stop-start.

MHEV does have what I call e-push, but it won’t save you ICE restarts in congestion. Release the brake, and it starts. Conventional hybrid also less disruptive as ICE restarts once underway at speed.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Volvo will never make cheap EV like the size and price of Mustang Mach E or model 3. You need to look elsewhere if you expect to buy EV at similar price and size of ICE Volvo today. An EV in size and luxury level of XC90 or XC60 will be more expensive than XC40 P8.

Volvo is saying EV will be half of the production 5 years from now. I don't see how it is possible with the much higher EV price (15K to 20k more than ICE cars) though.
How do you think pricing for XC90 SPA2 EV vs. PHEV will compare? What’s more costly, 2nd power train or big battery!

·
Registered
714 Posts
My biggest question remains why Volvo skipped "conventional" hybrid, as Toyota/Lexus have been doing for a long time. There's a big whitespace between mild hybrid (glorified stop-start + e-push) and PHEV. If Toyota (and soon, Lexus) can offer vehicles starting as conventional hybrid, why couldn't Volvo? Seems to me that's a far more impactful place to start vs. MHEV. But at this point, I expect most investment will be for EV, with some refinements to PHEV.
It is actually in development! As more european countries has started to stop supporting PHEV vehicules (and diesel). Full HEV and BEV are the next hot seller for all the european brands.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Volvo will never make cheap EV like the size and price of Mustang Mach E or model 3. You need to look elsewhere if you expect to buy EV at similar price and size of ICE Volvo today. An EV in size and luxury level of XC90 or XC60 will be more expensive than XC40 P8. On the smaller end, C40 EV is coming next year, another smaller one will come later.

I slightly disagree here. The Polestar 2 has a very good cost-benefit ratio at a competitive price. Inside, the Polestar 2 can even match Volvo's 60 series in terms of "perceived quality". And it is fully equipped. Sitting in an XC40, I always have the impression to sit in a "sub-par Volvo". The dash looks like from another brand, and it doesn't even have the iconic Start/Stop switch. The Polestar 2 however feels much more upscale and gives the true Volvo feeling. Too bad it's sedan only. Comparing the XC40 and the Polestar 2, the XC40 Recharge seems far too expensive for what it is.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
It is actually in development! As more european countries has started to stop supporting PHEV vehicles (and diesel). Full HEV and BEV are the next hot seller for all the european brands.
Now that's really interesting. Any details you can share re: timeline? Anticipated for USA?

I wonder if it might be too late for full/conventional hybrid, but if rules are changing then maybe not? I have long thought the correct investment priorities should have been full/conventional HEV and EV. MHEV is borderline useless compared to long-standing Toyota/Lexus hybrid tech, and PHEV is high complexity and high cost w/out subsidy. (That said, we'll still be interested in PHEV ~MY24.)

Per FusionRedXC60, "It is very costly to build a new power train". So what gets chopped/delayed to free up resources?

Europe climate group calls for end to subsidies for plug-in hybrid cars | Reuters

The European Union's Electric Vehicle Dilemma | Seeking Alpha

"Such a move to phase-out PHEV on the road by 2025 would practically kill demand and eliminate supply, many major OEMs had been expecting to sell PHEV for the rest of the decade as the lack of public infrastructure in charging is not yet suited for an accelerated push to BEV."

41 - 60 of 614 Posts