SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
381 - 400 of 602 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
China is the biggest market followed by the USA. The electric strategy may work in China
The USA is trickier.
It's not :)
Tesla sold in April and May the same volume of EV's in the US as Volvo sells cars in one year.

By introducing new hybrids, the would be one of 'me too' manafacturers. By going for EV only they really step out.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Here's another article on next-gen XC90 - seems a mash up of current + older rumors, so there's some inconsistency.

Still thinking SPA2 for ICE/hybrid is really SPA+2", and SPA2 EV goes dedicated EV-only and leaves ICE behind for just one more generation as bridge to 2030. XC90 gets SPA+2", but XC60 remains interesting question as next gen not due until MY25.

Does PHEV battery move out of the armrest (omg what a stupid idea in retrospect) to a place where it can grow a bit bigger for a bit more EV range?

2022 Volvo XC90 - Everything we know in August 2021 (topelectricsuv.com)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's another article on next-gen XC90 - seems a mash up of current + older rumors, so there's some inconsistency.

Still thinking SPA2 for ICE/hybrid is really SPA+2", and SPA2 EV goes dedicated EV-only and leaves ICE behind for just one more generation as bridge to 2030. XC90 gets SPA+2", but XC60 remains interesting question as next gen not due until MY25.

Does PHEV battery move out of the armrest (omg what a stupid idea in retrospect) to a place where it can grow a bit bigger for a bit more EV range?

2022 Volvo XC90 - Everything we know in August 2021 (topelectricsuv.com)
Polestar is participating the Munich Car show next month, I would hope they would share something regarding the 3 and by extension the new platform also. But I guess they’ll show the Precept there only and the end-of-production 1.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hehe, and from an engineering perspective I thought the center tunnel battery placement (known limited battery size constraint) was a brilliant, low risk idea to easily switch from hybrid (shaftless tunnel) to non-hybrid (shaft in tunnel) configs. TETO

I'm surprised the competitors at the time (2013-2017) with similar battery sizes and electric axles didn't do the same and opted instead to impact rear storage space or passenger space. (Volvo patent maybe?)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Hehe, and from an engineering perspective I thought the center tunnel battery placement (known limited battery size constraint) was a brilliant, low risk idea to easily switch from hybrid (shaftless tunnel) to non-hybrid (shaft in tunnel) configs. TETO

I'm surprised the competitors at the time (2013-2017) with similar battery sizes and electric axles didn't do the same and opted instead to impact rear storage space or passenger space. (Volvo patent maybe?)
I agree....this was a brilliant move by Volvo and allowed them to offer a product with various configurations at a low cost that made that even possible. There isn't another brand that offered their entire lineup as hybrid.....literally every car, and every SUV but the XC40. Seems like a smart move, and I think the next generation is going to offer some VERY big surprises to the industry.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think the next generation is going to offer some VERY big surprises to the industry.
Sounds like you know something the public doesn't know yet!
OK maybe stupid is a bit harsh for the time. But there's no doubt in my mind that it needs to move and grow in capacity/range for next gen, whatever SPA2 (SPA+2"?) really means for XC90.
No worries. Yeah, the skateboard battery / structure design is the BEV standard so when I hear/read "VERY big surprises to the industry" it makes me think of "next generation" tech like (but not limited to) solid state electric batteries, structural batteries, fully cast car structure (ie Tesla's gigapress), or etc, but definitely not autonomous driving (good luck with national / state regulations just by itself nevermind the technical challenges).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think the Volvo model range in future will be:

Sedans:
S90 full size sedan (apx. 204-205 inch long) only for Usa and Asia, first as a hybrid (mild and plug in) and then EV only.
S60 mid sedan (apx. 189 inch long) also first as a hybrid (mild and plug in) and then EV only.
S90 with standart wheelbase (Europe) will be canceled.

Van:
V70/V70CC (apx. 192 inc long), a little larger than V60/V60CC and smaller than curent V90/V90CC. More boxy shape than curent V90/V90CC. Also first as a hybrid and then EV only.

V60/V60CC will be canceled
V90/V90CC will be canceled

Suv:
XC20 (only EV)
XC40, XC60, XC90 first as a hybrid (mild and plug in) and then EV only.
XC100 (probably new name and only EV. Also I think concept recharge is actualy form for new XC100 full electric vehicle with new platform for all future Volvo electric cars)

Suv coupe:
C40, C60 (only EV)

·
Registered
7,290 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Sounds like you know something the public doesn't know yet!
No worries. Yeah, the skateboard battery / structure design is the BEV standard so when I hear/read "VERY big surprises to the industry" it makes me think of "next generation" tech like (but not limited to) solid state electric batteries, structural batteries, fully cast car structure (ie Tesla's gigapress), or etc, but definitely not autonomous driving (good luck with national / state regulations just by itself nevermind the technical challenges).
Yes, if you know the right people you get the inside track. We do know lidar will significantly change auto driving, and the battery integration will offer some unique solutions to the industry. There also will only be one sedan in the future.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Yes, if you know the right people you get the inside track. We do know lidar will significantly change auto driving, and the battery integration will offer some unique solutions to the industry. There also will only be one sedan in the future.
I hope it’s the S90! 😭😩🤕😞

I really hope.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
Big cars are dead. S60 is likely where they will stay, that's always the demographic that sells way more sedans. Who knows, maybe we will get something in-between, like a stretched S60.
Bu-… but the S90 sold 48,000 globally during the pandemic? And… and it’s so popular in China and South Korea? 👀 👁👄👁

The S60 did sell 54,000, but still! The S90 is so iconic and special. The vehicle in the 2025 roadmap was slightly bigger than the XC90 and had a sedan profile… hinting at an S90?

Nonetheless I just hope there’s a sedan with RWD proportions and soft-close doors coming. 😩🥴😣

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
If there will be only one sedan one wagon model, they better use same S90 chassis for both. S60 sized wagon would be too small.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
We do know lidar will significantly change auto driving
So I had the chance to work on LiDAR during its bubble years, which in itself is revolutionary. Actually using it for autonomous driving IMO will not happen anytime soon because of regulation / certification and technical challenges. But using LiDAR for increased safety and awareness - and not for autonomous purposes - is completely feasible, just a little pricey compared to existing alternatives. Just my two cents.
the battery integration will offer some unique solutions to the industry.
This will be interesting . . . Thanks for the slow drip teasing

Reactions: 718CGTS

·
Registered
346 Posts
I hope that EV efficiency is part of Volvo's equation in development. It seems that most of the marketing from EV manufactures has been on range itself. Depending on battery pack size and cost per kwh of electricity, a hybrid from Toyota can still be more economical. Such is the case when i did a quick estimate based on XC40 EV v. RAV 4 hybrid.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
I hope that EV efficiency is part of Volvo's equation in development. It seems that most of the marketing from EV manufactures has been on range itself. Depending on battery pack size and cost per kwh of electricity, a hybrid from Toyota can still be more economical. Such is the case when i did a quick estimate based on XC40 EV v. RAV 4 hybrid.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
That's definitely something they're working on. Some interesting things will be happening in the not too distant future, which is why I'm happy to wait for either generation 2 or generation 3.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Reactions: 718CGTS

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Thats a good price point in my opinion. Below, BMW and Tesla, same as upcoming Rivian and little more than Lyriq and E-Tron which doesn't have a 3rd row.
$75k is even less than XC90 T8 Inscription. So it is more like an EV version of V90CC, hopefully with 3rd row added. Maybe XC100 will be the new flagship model with a new name.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

381 - 400 of 602 Posts