SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 609 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Apparently the face and grill of all SPA2 cars will be much lower to improve the range of the BEV powertrain.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Apparently the face and grill of all SPA2 cars will be much lower to improve the range of the BEV powertrain.
That scares me a little... 🥺

As they still have an engine, they cannot make the hood shorter or slop dramatically (I interpret). And with the current vehicles, Thomas Ingenlath stressed how essential the axle-to-dash is and long hood proportion. As cars are developed years in advance, the plans would have been brainstormed or beginning around the release of the current vehicles.

I just hope they look as stunning, because this to me is one of the best designs of all time:

I cannot believe how stunning these 21” rims are. They make the vehicle. Everything has cohesion and balance in the proportions. The grill isn’t too wide or big horizontally or vertical. The headlights size is in proportion and balance with the grill. All the shapes and lines have a simple, clean, elegant yet dynamic and modern aesthetic.

Sorry for the tangent. I have the opportunity to buy a T6 S90 like the one above, but I can’t get passed the fact that it doesn’t have soft-close doors (which is one of the best features, I love it so much. It’s so satisfying). That’s why I hope the next S90 comes with it, even as an option (as the BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Genesis G80, Jaguar XF and Audi RS 6 all do).

If it does and retains those looks and more, I will buy immediately! 😩

·
Registered
102 Posts
Volvo engineers/designers please find a way to aesthetically blend and remove that horrendous modern front hood line. I'm hopeful there is a way to incorporate safety and design together.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Here's an article I just stumbled on for the first time:

Volvo electric car plans explained | CAR Magazine

Still puzzling on the graphic a bit (revised to reflect C40 reveal since the last time I saw it):
-- Significance of the three rows of vehicles, top to bottom?
-- Left-to-right sequence seems to be XC40, C40, XC90, XC20, XC60, 60-90 thing, XC100.

So what's the 60-90 thing? Maybe an aggregation of all existing wagons/CCs into something new that shoots the size gap? Return of XC70? See image here:

New Volvo coupe-SUV set to lead next-generation of brand’s EVs | Auto Express

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here's an article I just stumbled on for the first time.

Volvo electric car plans explained | CAR Magazine

Still puzzling on the graphic a bit (revised to reflect C40 reveal since the last time I saw it):
-- Significance of the three rows of vehicles, top to bottom?
-- Left-to-right sequence seems to be XC40, C40, XC90, XC20, XC60, 60-90 thing, XC100.

So what's the 60-90 thing? Maybe an aggregation of all existing wagons/CCs into something new that shoots the size gap? Return of XC70? See image here:

New Volvo coupe-SUV set to lead next-generation of brand’s EVs | Auto Express
That 60-90 thing appears to definitely be a sedan based on the shadow. In another forum, it was lined up with the presumed XC90 (from the same image). It was basically the same size if not slightly longer. Therefore I interpret it to be the next-generation S90. I’m not sure if it was said whether that illustration is an actual representation of the next-generation vehicles or an artistic placeholder.

·
Registered
713 Posts
That scares me a little... 🥺

.... That’s why I hope the next S90 comes with it, even as an option (as the BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Genesis G80, Jaguar XF and Audi RS 6 all do).

If it does and retains those looks and more, I will buy immediately! 😩
I do not really believe there will be a SPA2 sedan.
Volvo can choose to go directly pure electric with the SEA platform or just pass this segment on to the polestar Precept.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
That 60-90 thing appears to definitely be a sedan based on the shadow. In another forum, it was lined up with the presumed XC90 (from the same image). It was basically the same size if not slightly longer. Therefore I interpret it to be the next-generation S90.
I do not really believe there will be a SPA2 sedan.
I've done some precise measurements with the edge of my pen, I really have no idea what it is. But I'm going to bet on that Autoexpress image, it actually sort-of matches. Since 60-90 thing appears closer to XC90 in size vs. XC60, maybe its to be XC80? But thinking some kind of elevated wagon-thing, like the old XC70.

Long ago I posted here that Volvo should ditch sedans, reaction was incredulous. But I'm thinking no sedans go EV, at least not by mid-decade. Maybe they do get MH/PHEV on SPA2? But I think all other body styles get EV first.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Sedan EV has better range than crossover and SUV. Most EV buyers want sedan for this reason. They can keep one or two sedan/coupe EV models for sure, small S40 and big long range S90. Precept is great but it is different style and price level.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Sedan EV has better range than crossover and SUV. Most EV buyers want sedan for this reason. They can keep one or two sedan/coupe EV models for sure, small S40 and big long range S90. Precept is great but it is different style and price level.

I wonder what S90 would look like if extrapolated from P*2? I just don't think it works w/ battery in the floor, at that scale. Remember the S60 CC? Hm.

2016 Volvo S60 Cross Country Test – Review – Car and Driver

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I wonder what S90 would look like if extrapolated from P*2? I just don't think it works w/ battery in the floor, at that scale. Remember the S60 CC? Hm.

2016 Volvo S60 Cross Country Test – Review – Car and Driver
CMA P*2 is not optimized for flat battery in floor. SEA and SPA2 will be better. And P*2 ground clearance is normal, doesn't look like S60CC. And with longer wheel base, you won't feel the floor is raised up by 2 inch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I believe Volvo will continue with one or two sedans. I would be shocked if they discontinued the S90 or S60. The vehicle in that timeline definitely appears to be a sedan based on the shadow:

You can see the dramatic slope and trunk. According to Volvo’s sales figures they sold almost 60,000 S90’s globally, in 2018 and the same in 2019 and almost 50,000 during the pandemic. A sedan is also integral to a true premium manufacturer, because of the heritage in proportion. That’s why the S90 and S60 look rear-wheel drive.

I know the C.E.O stated he wanted to organise the trims, but I interpret he just meant they don’t need a short or long wheelbase of the S90. I understand that, as the short wheelbase is already longer than an E-Class. I would interpret they’ll make a version in between, to get the best of both.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe Volvo will continue with one or two sedans. I would be shocked if they discontinued the S90 or S60. The vehicle in that timeline definitely appears to be a sedan based on the shadow:

View attachment 121921

You can see the dramatic slope and trunk. According to Volvo’s sales figures they sold almost 60,000 S90’s globally, in 2018 and the same in 2019 and almost 50,000 during the pandemic. A sedan is also integral to a true premium manufacturer, because of the heritage in proportion. That’s why the S90 and S60 look rear-wheel drive.

I know the C.E.O stated he wanted to organise the trims, but I interpret he just meant they don’t need a short or long wheelbase of the S90. I understand that, as the short wheelbase is already longer than an E-Class. I would interpret they’ll make a version in between, to get the best of both.
It's in the article I linked earlier. Volvo to downsize saloon and estate offering in SUV-led EV push | Autocar
We need less variants of sedans and wagons; we have lots of wagons today, with the V60, V90, Cross Country, non-Cross County, and a lot of saloons big and small, long and extra-long. We need to move from wagons and sedans; we will still have them in future, but probably not as many."

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It's in the article I linked earlier. Volvo to downsize saloon and estate offering in SUV-led EV push | Autocar
We need less variants of sedans and wagons; we have lots of wagons today, with the V60, V90, Cross Country, non-Cross County, and a lot of saloons big and small, long and extra-long. We need to move from wagons and sedans; we will still have them in future, but probably not as many."
I know. 🙂

To clarify, what I meant is I would be shocked if they got rid of the S90 and S60. They are both iconic and sell well enough globally.

He said they will still have them, just not as many. Perhaps that means no short AND long wheelbase of the S90, but rather one in between?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm just thankful that the wagon will be there in the future. I'd love an electric V down the road.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Remember, that image is just EVs by mid-decade. There could be other vehicles that don't go EV by mid-decade.

So I'll speculate that all V and V/CC's will consolidate into one lifted-wagon EV akin to that Auto Express image, call it XC70 or XC80, by mid-decade.

Similarly, maybe we'll see one consolidated S later in decade, maybe S70 or S80?

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
There's another thread floating around, SPA2 will have modular skateboards for ICE/PHEV and EV. We'll see how that might alleviate compromises between them.

Figure "SPA3" lands ~2030 and is all-in EV?

·
Registered
445 Posts
In the newly published "Annual report 2020" one can read: "New scalable BEV architectures for all Volvo models as of 2025"

Seems that SPA2 will have a short life...
You know, Volvo announcements like that do always have to be read very precisely. In this case, it probably means that NEW Volvo models from 2025 on will be based on the new scalable BEV architecture (which is probably the SEA platform. This also means that in 2024, the last new Volvo based on the SPA2 platform will be presented, most likely the next S/V60 which will be seven years old by then. If it goes on sale half a year later, it will soldier on for at least another seven years (2032).

Same thing happened when Volvo announced in May 2018 that they "stop offering diesel versions on all new models launched from next year". In the same year, the launched the V60 Cross Country heavy on diesel engines, and after that, there wasn't any new model launch by March 2021. So, the press announcement was right, word by word, but it was still trickery.

21 - 40 of 609 Posts