SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive gotten a few used parts from the Volvo Guys before.
http://www.volvo-guys.com/

My rad had a slow leak, so I thought I would give them a call. Sure enough they had a used rad from an '04 for $100. I wasn't 100% sure I should go used, but they had it available and I was saving some $ over a new one. Well I bring it home, install it. NO issues, worked fine. Next day in the morning I have a pile of coolant on the driveway. The RAD is leaking big time. Its not the hoses or clamps, there is a crack in the rad. :mad: They offer exchange only.

So I went on eBay tonight and bought a brand new one for $89! with free shipping. I should have done more homework first on pricing. So now I will have to remove the used one, and take it back, and hope they will exchange there faulty rad for some other products.....

I'll let you know how it goes..... Don't buy a used rad. :facepalm:

·
Registered
271 Posts
its a crap shoot with used parts, always. Tires, rads, suspension ect is always hard to buy used.

Next time dont be in a rush and take your time. **** always goes downhill when people are rushing to fix, buy or borrow parts and get burned in the end.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Do your research about that rad on Ebay too. I typically like to stay with OEM for important components like this. More expensive? Of course, but there's that bit of piece of mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
V70x2 - Sorry to hear about your rad, we do offer a 30 day exchange or return for store credit. Please bring back the rad and we'll help you. I'm Mark and run parts at the back don't hesitate to ask for me if you need anything.

-Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do your research about that rad on Ebay too. I typically like to stay with OEM for important components like this. More expensive? Of course, but there's that bit of piece of mind.
Yeah, these guys on ebay only do rad's..... Huge online presence. I think I'll be alright.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
V70x2 - Sorry to hear about your rad, we do offer a 30 day exchange or return for store credit. Please bring back the rad and we'll help you. I'm Mark and run parts at the back don't hesitate to ask for me if you need anything.

-Mark
Thanks, thats reassuring. Next week when i've switched out the rad's, i'll stop by, and see if I can use a credit towards something.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you compare OEM to Aftermarket... THe neck on OEM have a metal sleeve re-enfocing so that it doesn't crack easy in the future. I have put numerous after market rad as per customer's request on their car... May get 1-3 yrs out of it (depending on your luck)before it will leak again . Note: sometimes it will leak out from cheap drain plug on the bottom of the rad. I totally agree to go cheap if you don't keep your car for long but if u plan to keep it's all depending on your luck.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you compare OEM to Aftermarket... THe neck on OEM have a metal sleeve re-enfocing so that it doesn't crack easy in the future. I have put numerous after market rad as per customer's request on their car... May get 1-3 yrs out of it (depending on your luck)before it will leak again . Note: sometimes it will leak out from cheap drain plug on the bottom of the rad. I totally agree to go cheap if you don't keep your car for long but if u plan to keep it's all depending on your luck.
Don't the OEM Volvo rads also feature a catalytic coating that breaks down ozone?

I've had pretty good service from Volvo Guys on a number of parts for our '02 S60 AWD with 330k km - the latest was a steering rack for $400 vs $1600 new. The general guidelines would be the less 'wear' the part is subjected to, the better (i.e., used hood is a great idea, used radiator, not-so-good.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
The OEM used to have premair coating on them.. it's too expensive to replace with those. most likely they will sell u the one without premair.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mark for today. You did me a huge solid! I appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts