SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you are aware of this car, but I just discovered it from a post on VWvortex. It would be cool to see a feature on this car here on Swedespeed!

Were there a lot of other Volvo cars sold throughout the world that never made it to the States? Apparently the 480 was designed with the US market specifically in mind, but never made it here for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
339 Posts
the 480 was intended for the US but was never brought over because of pricing. volvo could never justify bringing it over to compete with the asian cars that were being built in the US and the exchange rate with the kronor at that time was also a problem. i believe they also investigated building these cars at the volvo penta plant in chesapeake, but that fell through.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: (mjbr24)

now I am confused. Though it was a Volvo model, it was assembled in cooperation with DAF in the Netherlands and it was strictly a car for Europe. Just line the DAF 66 was rebuilt and called the Volvo 66L back in the early 70s. The cabrio version of the 480 was never put in production.

·
Registered
99 Posts
480 pictures

From looking at this picture, the license plates appear to be of Dutch origin. That explains why this car was mainly found in the Netherlands and not elsewhere.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Re: (futrC70drvr)

I've wanted to get a 360GLT for a while. Maybe import one from Europe and drop in a B230FT. Just think, a RWD hatch with 50/50 weight balance, a 5-speed, and a turbo 2.3 pushing 200HP+.

Of course, a DeLorean would be pretty tempting too...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Re: (asthenia)

I used to have one. A fun little car, I think it looks nice, but it was underpowered and should have been a RWD. Actually, it was the first Volvo FWD ever.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the 480 is really cool. Volvo bought DAF in the early 70's and re-badged the cars. The 340 had already been developed by DAF and was supposed to be the DAF 77...

Here's 66... (GLs had the quad-light grille. These cars were made from 1976-1980)

Modified by 850cent at 4:40 PM 4-12-2005

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: (FrankV)

Quote, originally posted by FrankV »
The 340, 360, 440 & 460 were never sold in the US. (or were not intend to be sold there)
There was a pretty large demand for the 440 and 460 though. But Volvo didn't see it being profitable. I've seen quite a bit when I was in Great Britian. Pretty cool cars.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I remember that back in 1986 when 480 was introduced it had the similar looking Honda Accord Aerodeck to compete with, and that the first modelyear of the 480 had an all-time low buildquality. Horrorstories were told by owners... the interior of the 480 is ok with its 2 + 2 design, but the exterior...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Re: (850cent)

Quote, originally posted by 850cent »
Here's 66... (GLs had the quad-light grille. These cars were made from 1976-1980)

Is it just me, or does that guy look way too happy to be driving that freaky little Dutch car?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts