SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all been through some nightmares and headaches for sure since owning our first cars, what is your story involving a dealer or other garage that just couldn't get things right? A thread more so to inform other Swedespeeders and maybe learn from others mistakes? You be the judge.

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
Recently tried a new dealer here in Virginia. Had my folks' 2006 S80 in for a service and timing belt a few weeks ago. They didn't reset the service reminder light. Took the car back in yesterday for a set of rear brakes, a state inspection, and a reset of the service reminder. I was told "we don't do that" when I asked them to reset the service reminder.

Unfortunately, the service appointment only went from bad to WORSE after that...

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Took my previous S60R to a local garage who I typically had do inspections and asked them to swap in the IPD control arms. The mechanic somehow spent like 6 or 8 hours (on one side!) and couldn't figure out how to do it. I then, because they were mid-job, sent them the FCP Euro how-to video. The mechanic, afterwards, basically told me he doesn't know how to work on anything that's not a Chevy (in so many words). Needless to say, our cars don't go there anymore.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha reminds me of a quote I heard 2 decades ago, " It could be the carburetor, it could be the alternator, it could be the accelerator...Hell, if it ain't a Chevy, I can't help you!"

Took my previous S60R to a local garage who I typically had do inspections and asked them to swap in the IPD control arms. The mechanic somehow spent like 6 or 8 hours (on one side!) and couldn't figure out how to do it. I then, because they were mid-job, sent them the FCP Euro how-to video. The mechanic, afterwards, basically told me he doesn't know how to work on anything that's not a Chevy (in so many words). Needless to say, our cars don't go there anymore.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Until technicians go to formal training and are then paid more than $25 out of the $100 to $140 per hour a dealer or garage charges, it will only get worse. Kids in high school barely have an interest in driving cars and none on working on them. They would rather have their heads down staring at their iPhone all day watching sports and movies it`s the only thing that interests them. They can`t even carry a conversation since they all talk text.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Dealers don't want to pay us more and they don't want to pay salary so flat rate won't go away.

I make more than $25 but my dealer charges more too. I make about 20% of the labor rate.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Until technicians go to formal training and are then paid more than $25 out of the $100 to $140 per hour a dealer or garage charges, it will only get worse. Kids in high school barely have an interest in driving cars and none on working on them. They would rather have their heads down staring at their iPhone all day watching sports and movies it`s the only thing that interests them. They can`t even carry a conversation since they all talk text.
hehehehehehe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts