SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Here's a screen from VIDA 2014D for the 2011 MY. Chassis number 568001 is absolutely NOT the cut off between T-IV and WS. Pretty much the entire internet *and* all of Volvo's literature are at odds with your info.

View attachment 70589
I've invited you several times before to share your story and information with the transition chassis/year. Posts #12 & #14 of this thread show it. It's good to learn from your specific XC90.

Here I link the source. Part #44 on Volvo's own parts list shows the chassis number cut-off, according to Volvo (China might be different). https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/...=7095&ukey_driveLine=505&ukey_trimLevel=24666 Whence why I invited you to share your specific case of the transition in fluids.

Edit: Adding Volvo currently states chassis cut-off is #568001

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here's a screen from VIDA 2014D for the 2011 MY. Chassis number 568001 is absolutely NOT the cut off between T-IV and WS. Pretty much the entire internet *and* all of Volvo's literature are at odds with your info.

View attachment 70589
After doing further review of your screenshot, what am I missing. 2011 MY shows to use WS spec, not JWS 3309. It also mentions, the 3rd listing of the XC90 TF-80SC as JWS 3309 spec, and that could mean for all V8s. Correct me if I am wrong, the 3.2 got both versions of the TF-80SC and the V8 might not have. Perhaps someone who is a V8 "expert" could chime in.

Maybe this is where you might be confusing the cut-off and which correct fluid is used in your 3.2. Curious to know, where else are you seeing that the chassis # is not the cut-off? I believe chassis # is a more accurate method than the year to help determine the correct transmission fluid. Besides checking with Volvo online, I also found the chassis # cut-off in VIDA's parts list.

·
Registered
50 Posts
After doing further review of your screenshot, what am I missing. 2011 MY shows to use WS spec, not JWS 3309. It also mentions, the 3rd listing of the XC90 TF-80SC as JWS 3309 spec, and that could mean for all V8s. Correct me if I am wrong, the 3.2 got both versions of the TF-80SC and the V8 might not have. Perhaps someone who is a V8 "expert" could chime in.

Maybe this is where you might be confusing the cut-off and which correct fluid is used in your 3.2. Curious to know, where else are you seeing that the chassis # is not the cut-off? I believe chassis # is a more accurate method than the year to help determine the correct transmission fluid. Besides checking with Volvo online, I also found the chassis # cut-off in VIDA's parts list.
If you use Max-Life like I did in my 2014, then you don't need to worry as it's compatible with both 3309 and 3324. Shifts great, and it's a quality synthetic fluid. ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you use Max-Life like I did in my 2014, then you don't need to worry as it's compatible with both 3309 and 3324. Shifts great, and it's a quality synthetic fluid. ;)
Hope it works out for you. For many, it has not worked out and people have gotten poor shifting and/or long-term has caused damaged. Fluid compatible isn't what we look at. 0W-20 oil is compatible with 15W-50, but using the wrong weight could lead to engine damage. The viscosity of MaxLife does not match either JWS3309 (T-IV) or JWS3324 (WS) fluids. I encourage you to search so you don't have to take my word for it as this was discussed a lot in other threads, especially since MaxLife says recommended, not approved in vehicles using the JWS3309 and JWS3324 specs. Basically, it cannot meet the specific specs if it has to cater to over a dozen other ATF specs.

I like to use the word "risk" when talking about maintenance and repairs. Can you use MaxLife, yes. Could it increase the risk of irregular shifting and long-term damage, yes. There is no question on using the correct spec fluid. Using ~$70-$100 in 12qts of the correct fluid is relatively cheap versus the damage risk non-spec'd fluid could do to the transmission.

Again, this thread started because there were multiple threads of forum members who had issues AFTER using MaxLife. Those shifting issues were mainly alleviated after changing out MaxLife. I also started a guide since it can be difficult to sift through all the threads over the years. Again, search so you don't have to take my word for it.

Here's a start: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?606075-2013-XC-90-3-2-Tranny-Shudder

·
Registered
760 Posts
I interpret the chart in post 20 to say that all XC90s use the same fluid, apparently the JWS 3309. I don't see how you can interpret it any other way.

This TJ seems to indicate that the cutoff for XC90 is M.Y. 2103...

ATF TJ.jpg

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I interpret the chart in post 20 to say that all XC90s use the same fluid, apparently the JWS 3309. I don't see how you can interpret it any other way.

This TJ seems to indicate that the cutoff for XC90 is M.Y. 2103...
Well, the chart posted by RyanR also lists the two different generations of the TF-80SC, not XC90 specific. The 3.2 received the two different generations of the transmission. But to say I am 100% wrong as RyanR suggested and all literatures says I am wrong, is a false statement and I gave a link directly to Volvo's current parts listing to show this.

I recommend to go by the chassis number, not the year, as is listed by Volvo currently. Wondering if you or RyanR have another recommendation to help those in the same transition years/chassis #s?

Good information. I saw you posted about the TJ in another thread and was searching for it in VIDA. So, the TJ from 2014 says one thing, but then the current Volvo parts list goes by the chassis number.

Curious, for your 2011, does your chassis # come before or after the cutoff and what fluid are you using, how did you come to decide which fluid to use? Would be great to learn more about the transition years as there seems to be conflicting information by Volvo themselves.

We can continue to try to debunk my guide information in which I took time to organize simply to help people, or members can help too and give their suggestions and/or recommendations based on their findings.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Since we are posting pics and it helps, here is the pic I took today of the current parts listing for the transmission fluid for the XC90, from Volvo parts online (link in prior post #21). The 774 & 775 part numbers are the WS (JWS 3324) fluid.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The TJ specifically calls out the 2011-2013 XC90s as differing from all other models. It's hard to dismiss something that specific. TJs are easily updated, and, in fact, this one was updated in December 2012 to include that exception. The 2014 update was unrelated.

I have no idea what is in my trans. SN 581735 Model year 2011. I bought 3309 for it, based on the TJ, but still need to get a round tuit...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Since you asked for opinions, I'll try help make the guide a little more concise:

-If you have a TF-80SC on an XC90 that has the last 6 of VIN less than 568000 in number, use JWS3309 (list you provide is fine).
-If you have a TF-80SC on an XC90 that has the last 6 of VIN greater than 568001 in number but is not powered by the V8, use BOT341 (list you provide is fine).
-If you have a V8 motor in your XC90, use JWS3309 (list you provide is fine).

That's it. And it's just guidance, folks are gonna do what they're gonna do (like the person who swore by Lucas additive).

I'm confident enough in chassis cutoff as the key, given the degree of legwork that a number of us (Ryan included) did in 2016 and 2017 to check sources (GENII and AW fluid PN changes in multiple disparate source matches all with the 568001 reference). No need to cut/paste much more to validate, easiest in my opinion to go back the work that was done (kudos to generic_volvo_driver for doing the work and see end of thread for the GENII TF-80SC changes)- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-in-owner-s-manual-JWS-3309-vs-AW-1-(JWS-3324)

Personally, I like the idea of some guidance and since you solicited opinion, mine is to tie a simple set of guidelines to the job links and put a useable package together that can be a single high level reference for XC90 transmission fluid changes (AW5 speeds use only JWS3309).

Since you asked.

**Quick one for MY13 XC90 drivers that may be experiencing any odd behaviors, there was a recognized issue for chassis 628377 to 663187 which appears to have been resolved by a software update and an adaptation run. If you have a vehicle in this chassis range, maybe have a look at the NHTSA document and the Volvo response https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10055532-9962.pdf to see if it's worth having a conversation with your dealer BEFORE changing the fluid.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The TJ specifically calls out the 2011-2013 XC90s as differing from all other models. It's hard to dismiss something that specific. TJs are easily updated, and, in fact, this one was updated in December 2012 to include that exception. The 2014 update was unrelated.

I have no idea what is in my trans. SN 581735 Model year 2011. I bought 3309 for it, based on the TJ, but still need to get a round tuit...

I don't see anything about model years or serial numbers in the parts listing you posted. Am I missing something? are you implying that all the transmissions regardless of year or SN should use the new fluid?
I gave the link already. The input was for 2008 XC90 3.2, but the parts list shows for which chassis number XC90. It's in the fluid description. I just tried inputting 2011 3.2 XC90 and it will supply the same fluid part numbers with same description of chassis cut-off.

Since you asked for opinions, I'll try help make the guide a little more concise:

-If you have a TF-80SC on an XC90 that has the last 6 of VIN less than 568000 in number, use JWS3309 (list you provide is fine).
-If you have a TF-80SC on an XC90 that has the last 6 of VIN greater than 568001 in number but is not powered by the V8, use BOT341 (list you provide is fine).
-If you have a V8 motor in your XC90, use JWS3309 (list you provide is fine).

That's it. And it's just guidance, folks are gonna do what they're gonna do (like the person who swore by Lucas additive).

I'm confident enough in chassis cutoff as the key, given the degree of legwork that a number of us (Ryan included) did in 2016 and 2017 to check sources (GENII and AW fluid PN changes in multiple disparate source matches all with the 568001 reference). No need to cut/paste much more to validate, easiest in my opinion to go back the work that was done (kudos to generic_volvo_driver for doing the work and see end of thread for the GENII TF-80SC changes)- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-in-owner-s-manual-JWS-3309-vs-AW-1-(JWS-3324)

Personally, I like the idea of some guidance and since you solicited opinion, mine is to tie a simple set of guidelines to the job links and put a useable package together that can be a single high level reference for XC90 transmission fluid changes (AW5 speeds use only JWS3309).

Since you asked.

**Quick one for MY13 XC90 drivers that may be experiencing any odd behaviors, there was a recognized issue for chassis 628377 to 663187 which appears to have been resolved by a software update and an adaptation run. If you have a vehicle in this chassis range, maybe have a look at the NHTSA document and the Volvo response https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10055532-9962.pdf to see if it's worth having a conversation with your dealer BEFORE changing the fluid.
We are in agreement about using the chassis number.

Sounds good and I did ask what I was missing in my first post for this guide :thumbup:. In my first post in this thread I also encourage to search, search, search. But yeah, a guide can help, well guide through the years of posts and what to search for.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I gave the link already.
Yeah, I figured that out.
The input was for 2008 XC90 3.2, but the parts list shows for which chassis number XC90.
So the TJ is simply wrong? Again, it's hard (for me) to ignore something so specific as a current TJ that was modified specifically to exclude [all] XC90s up to MY 2013.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm right, but, it seems to me, you have no more solid ground to stand on than I do.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm right, but, it seems to me, you have no more solid ground to stand on than I do.
It's not about being right or wrong, but the information we can work off of. The current Volvo parts list as listed in October 2020 gives a chassis cut-off. If that is the most up-to-date information we have, that might be a good source.

This has also been talked about extensively before by many many members not just by me, including ggleavitt, RyanR, and you, in threads over the years, albeit there's more information and experiences today. Ggleavitt gave a good thread link in his post which has several links to other fluid threads: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-in-owner-s-manual-JWS-3309-vs-AW-1-(JWS-3324 This is the same link I put in the All About The 3.2 thread.

What would you suggest as the cut-off from JWS3309 (T-IV) to JWS3324 (WS) fluid?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
This is a what prompted folks looking initially 2016, an observation into the documentation inconsistency which then led to other discovered inconsistencies. Readily available parts lists at the time seemed to further cloud the issue as they were inconsistent as well. Since then Volvo has moved to a new single standard portal for all parts sales on the internet so if you're checking out Lisle to Tasca or any of the other Volvo authorized resellers and you use the new Volvo portal (which all the big resellers do), you're going to get the same reference backend no matter who you buy from.

If you go to Lisle for instance (I happen to like them personally but Tasca and others will show the same thing), you're going to note the following diagram for the V8- https://parts.volvocarslisle.com/a/...5703063/Automatic-transmission/GR-372769.html You'll see two transmission part numbers with a chassis break at 367133. Fluid break is at 568000 (although I'll find a JWS3309 specific link if need be for anyone who has a V8 over 568001).

If you do the same thing for a 3.2- https://parts.volvocarslisle.com/Volvo_2008_XC90-32l-6-cylinder/Transmission.html , you're going to see three transmission part numbers with a break at 354799 and at 568000. There are some chassis exceptions in the breaks but they're exceptions. Fluid break is at 568000.

You'll see the same page BTW all the way through 2013 with the 3.2- https://parts.volvocarslisle.com/a/Volvo_2013_XC90-32l-6-cylinder/_51529_5703063/gr-372769/.html as example.

This is one example. I probably did a few iterations back in the day, if simply to feel more confident in my assumption.

Fully understand the user documentation is sketchy and it only takes one exception to blow a hypothesis but I wanted to offer to the forum how I came to my conclusion of chassis being the common denominator.

·
Registered
760 Posts
So, why hasn't the TJ been updated? And, why, in 12-2012 did they update it specifically to include the exception for XC90's up to 2013? (That was the only change.)

All I'm sayin' is I don't feel like the conflicting information has been resolved just because the parts catalog says everything hinges on the chassis number. Besides, I guess what I really would like to know is what was in it when it rolled off the assembly line?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The possibility could be the parts catalog was updated to include the specific chassis numbers in the description so no separate update to the TJ was needed. From using parts catalogs with other European makes, this is how they address parts updates and parts specificities. So, it wouldn't be a surprise if Volvo also did the same.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So, the guide goes unchanged, except for adding the temp when checking the fluid level that Thommykent suggested. I will update the original post. This guide might not serve all, especially for those seasoned members who already know this information or who have already done their search work. However, it can help those who are new or can use information to help guide their own searches. All the posts from years past can get confusing and be a lot of volume to digest & filter in finding the right information.

This guide is meant to help facilitate members to do their own leg work in searching for the right information while hoping to prevent simple mistakes that can lead to costly repairs.

Techs, parts departments, and dealerships use the VIN when ordering and providing parts for service. This practice is industry-wide and many of you have experience when calling the dealership parts department, they ask for your VIN.

If you are reading this from China, the XC Classic was offered with the 2.5t with 5spd (auto & manual) so this guide does not apply to you. https://www.motor1.com/news/49479/first-generation-volvo-xc90-to-live-on-in-china-as-xc-classic/

·
Registered
439 Posts
So we have VIDA and a tech journal saying 3309?..... and we're going with what the internet says?

-Ryan

·
Registered
439 Posts
Techs, parts departments, and dealerships use the VIN when ordering and providing parts for service. This practice is industry-wide and many of you have experience when calling the dealership parts department, they ask for your VIN.
You know how you get to the information in VIDA with conflicting information? You enter the VIN. Sheesh.

-Ryan

·
Registered
439 Posts
So, why hasn't the TJ been updated? And, why, in 12-2012 did they update it specifically to include the exception for XC90's up to 2013? (That was the only change.)

All I'm sayin' is I don't feel like the conflicting information has been resolved just because the parts catalog says everything hinges on the chassis number. Besides, I guess what I really would like to know is what was in it when it rolled off the assembly line?
This TJ is pretty critical piece of the puzzle. What we seem to have is all internal sources of Volvo saying 3309.... and a parts database front end with a chassis number break. I'm running 3309 in my 2011 with no problems. I guess if my read on the situation is incorrect, I'll know first! ;)

-Ryan

·
Registered
439 Posts
Let me continue on my apparent tirade. Going to Volvo Parts Webstore, the plot seems to thicken. For several model years, they list both kinds of fluid *along* with the chassis number break. Did the same chassis numbers exist for several model years?

Obviously, the answer is probably NO! The chassis number break *can't* exist every year. Hence, the internet is more sloppy than what we know on this thread. Was isn't sloppy are the Internal Volvo sources. I'm sticking with VIDA and the TJ listed by John C above.

-Ryan

21 - 40 of 123 Posts