SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent interview with Alan Vissner (Managing director for brand sales and advertisement), he says Volvo ordered 2000 models of the new S90. 20 of which were stolen by an employer of the toy manufacturer, the employee posted the pictures online without knowing that the model was not yet unveiled. Volvo has now managed to buy all of the scale models excepts two, which are still missing.

But Alan Vissner is very happy about the model leak. He was particularly happy about the headlines like; "The A7 killer from Volvo". He wished he was the one who leaked the scale models from the beginning.

He also says that the new S90 is the ultimate test for Volvo. He wants to show people that they can compete in the 4-door salon segment, and compete very well...like in the XC segment. The sales of the new XC90 has brought over 40 precent new customers from other brands, he expect the number to be 80 precent for the new S90.

"But how will we compete against the likes of the 5-series, A6 and E-class?" he asks himself.

Volvo will be focusing on 3 main areas: Design, technology and service.

"The Germans are selling steel, we are selling a promise. We will work on giving a better service then the Germans".

http://www.di.se/di/artiklar/2015/9/14/ovanlig-strategi-saljer-in-nya-s90/?mobile=1&offer_type=email

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
So that IS the new design, the real one?

I suppose we can hope the details of the design aren't "fully captured" in the models

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not looking forward to this one, those tail lights are grossly oversized.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Looking at the scaled model picture from an actual buyer (yes, he got one delivered), the tail lights from side view is not very big. The edge on the light is not clear in the model so it appeared to be big with side and tail view merged together.

But again, I can see it could be better with a few more elements should be borrowed from the concept, like the crease line from rear door handle to trunk. Like that line very much.

The front line can go from head light tip to front door, to front door handle, then disappears gradually. On rear door the line appears again and goes up from the rear door handle to trunk lid. That will be stronger look that I like, like the illustration of V90 wagons in red.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
In a recent interview with Alan Vissner (Managing director for brand sales and advertisement), he says Volvo ordered 2000 models of the new S90. 20 of which were stolen by an employer of the toy manufacturer, the employee posted the pictures online without knowing that the model was not yet unveiled. Volvo has now managed to buy all of the scale models excepts two, which are still missing.

But Alan Vissner is very happy about the model leak. He was particularly happy about the headlines like; "The A7 killer from Volvo". He wished he was the one who leaked the scale models from the beginning.

He also says that the new S90 is the ultimate test for Volvo. He wants to show people that they can compete in the 4-door salon segment, and compete very well...like in the XC segment. The sales of the new XC90 has brought over 40 precent new customers from other brands, he expect the number to be 80 precent for the new S90.

"But how will we compete against the likes of the 5-series, A6 and E-class?" he asks himself.

Volvo will be focusing on 3 main areas: Design, technology and service.

"The Germans are selling steel, we are selling a promise. We will work on giving a better service then the Germans".

http://www.di.se/di/artiklar/2015/9/14/ovanlig-strategi-saljer-in-nya-s90/?mobile=1&offer_type=email
The seller offered 13 for sale online, looks like only a few lucky guys grabbed theirs before Volvo buys all others left. :D

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
They won't appear that way on the real car, it just looks that way on the scale model because it lacks the complex design of the real thing.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
"We will work on giving a better service then the Germans".

I wonder what exactly this means. We've already begun our migration away from Volvo so it will be interesting to see how Volvo gets some of its customers back. Making new and improved vehicles is one thing. Fixing sloppy dealerships is another.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
That we already knew, Volvo's CEO himself said that the toy model (like pretty much all toys) don't accurately show how fine the detailing is. I fully expect the lights to be more in line (in terms of width, size, shape) with those of the Concept Coupe or even the XC90's.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That we already knew, Volvo's CEO himself said that the toy model (like pretty much all toys) don't accurately show how fine the detailing is. I fully expect the lights to be more in line (in terms of width, size, shape) with those of the Concept Coupe or even the XC90's.
Seeing that the interior of the scale model is pretty detailed I would assume the exterior wouldn't deviate much from the real thing.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The interior is missing a lot of detail as well.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Just found on this net - obviously window is cracked and door mirror ripped off but you can just about make out the interior/dash.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Ditto. I'm hoping production model rear tail lamps are slimmer like concept designs or its E-class for me or Polestar XC90, if Volvo ever gets around to doing that project:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
My mate has one of the 290 models and from what I've seen of recent pics of the S90 the model isn't that far off. I don't think I'll be buying an S90 though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts