SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit back I settled on the notion I was going to paint my car.

However, since I don't have the budget to have it painted by someone I've chosen to do it myself.

My garage is only slightly bigger than my 142S which means a slow few panel by panel ordeal where I park with one side right up against the side wall and one end right up against the door.

No filtration, temperature or humidity control. I added two sets of LED lights 2 weeks ago after I'd started as the light levels were woefully inadequate.

With lots of high build light grey primer and sanding, sooo much sanding, I've managed to get the roof, A and C pillars & windscreen valence. Just this last weekend I completed the hood and front drivers fender.

When I'm done I will need to do a Cut and Buff to deal with some 'Earl Scheib' areas, but so far it's turned out better than I would have expected.

Red Car Magenta Automotive exterior Bumper
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Headlamp

·
Registered
897 Posts
A bit back I settled on the notion I was going to paint my car.

However, since I don't have the budget to have it painted by someone I've chosen to do it myself.

My garage is only slightly bigger than my 142S which means a slow few panel by panel ordeal where I park with one side right up against the side wall and one end right up against the door.

No filtration, temperature or humidity control. I added two sets of LED lights 2 weeks ago after I'd started as the light levels were woefully inadequate.

With lots of high build light grey primer and sanding, sooo much sanding, I've managed to get the roof, A and C pillars & windscreen valence. Just this last weekend I completed the hood and front drivers fender.

When I'm done I will need to do a Cut and Buff to deal with some 'Earl Scheib' areas, but so far it's turned out better than I would have expected.

View attachment 56243
View attachment 56245
Nice job!
A paint job you do yourself always comes out better in so many ways rather than just writing a check (anybody can do that). :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Great Job, Lots of elbow grease on that finish

I once painted my 142 in a carport on Vancouver Island, with a few tarps as walls,

... to all those that say a paint job is $10 K, :nono:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What products are you using? Your paint laid down nicely.
Thanks! The smoothing algorithm in the camera makes it look better than it is.

I have prior experience with air brushes, so while it is the same idea and thus -some- things are similar, I only with the last two times I've sprayed did I feel I was close to being in control.

I am using TCP global paints. (Via Amazon)

Specifically;

Custom Shop - Gray DTM High Build 2K Primer Surfacer with hardener.

Restoration Shop - Acrylic Enamel Single Stage with hardener

Eastwood Concours LT100 HVLP Paint Gun 1.3mm

x2 PneumaticPlus PPF2-N02B Miniature Compressed Air Particulate Filter and water trap

DeWALT D55146 compressor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
More pictures.

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Adding black paint for in-behind the grill, then adding a horn that will clear some traffic.

Red Vehicle Car Emblem Hood

Soon!!

I ran a die over the pins so now this can be attached with 8-32 nuts instead of the one way push on fasteners.

Gotta do a cut and buff before I attach it for real.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More paint pictures

Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk Vehicle Car

Getting close.

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Vehicle Car

Splatter coat, still very transparent.

Red Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Auto part

Enamel leveling out as it dries.

(I wonder if the pictures will work this time?) ;-)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
That is an impressive change.

In the top photo your signal lenses look a bit cloudy. A few minutes with an orbital buffer and some high cut cleaner (Megauiars 105 , 205) can pretty much restore them to new. Match the shine on the rest of the car!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts