SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(New to this, even posted this in the wrong spot......)

Hi,

I decided to start a new thread to give you more details on my Volvo V70 T6 project. After posting a quick overview in Prolix’s very popular modest xc build thread, here’s a more detailed explanation of my project.

It all started four years ago when I bought a 2009 V70 3.2 fully loaded with the firm intention of playing with it. This one was my eight Volvo and I really wanted to start doing modifications on the car. I did a few of them and I was really pleased with the overall look, but the limitations of the 3.2 in terms of performance was a problem. Also, I had owned a S60 T5 2012 for a few years before that and was very frustrated with the fact that I couldn’t optimize it, now I was facing the same problem.

After just a few months of ownership, I decided to change it for a V50 T5 AWD, which was opening the door to be part of the Polestar “family”. After starting my modifications on the car, I quickly realized that the P1 platform was not, well, the P3 platform. Once again, after just a few mods and a couple of headaches, I sold the V50 after just a few months of ownership.

The next one had to be the right one….I wanted to combine the P3 platform characteristics and possibilities with the V70 storage capacity and of course, the Polestar optimization.

The only possible option was to use the Prolix way and make my own car….

So back in March, I found a 2009 XC70 2009 in decent shape that I brought back home after a 15 hours bus ride. I used the next few months building my plan and defining what exactly I wanted to do with the car.

Initially, the plan was to go source out individual parts required for the mechanical mods and body work and purchase the rest new depending on what I wanted to accomplish. Lucky enough, in June I found a rare (For Canada) example of a V70 2010 R-design and I couldn’t resist to “rescue” this car and use it for my project. This RD was a game changer for me because some parts of the interior were nearly impossible to find on the used market (RD trims, grey headliner and pillar covers) making the interior the way I really wanted it. Since the dashboard was in better shape in the RD than in the XC, I ended up not only swapping the mechanical and body parts (Fenders, bumpers, trailing arms, knukle, etc..) but also the complete interior. The TFT retrofit was also a must and it made a world of difference.

When preparing for the swap, I realized that I could built a second car by using the parts removed from the XC and installing them on the RD, this car to be used as my winter car if ever I decided not to use my V in the snow. So I sent the fenders and front bumper to the paint shop to have them painted black.

Since I had two cars and I needed at least one as my daily driver, timing was everything. After having removed the parts from the XC, I took one weekend to dismantle and rebuild the RD with the body parts and suspension parts from the XC. The next weekend was used to swap the complete interior.

It was now clear that I wanted to have this car as “Polestarized” as possible and after a few weeks of back and forth, I was able to get my hands on a complete V60 Polestar interior.

I may offend some of you, but at that point two things were obvious for me. First, I realized I wasn’t a big fan of the XC model. Secondly, I couldn’t stomach the fact that I just dismantled one of the few real RD models shipped to this side of the pond.

I decided to sell my somewhat “unique” VC70 3.2 FWD and shop for another car for winter. Since I had kept the RD two-tone interior and blue cluster gages, I sat out to get another P3 V70 and rebuilt a RD almost piece by piece.
After finding a buyer for my VC, I found an incredibly well maintained 2009 V70 black exterior…..but with a beige interior ! Knowing that a beige interior would never ever work for a RD model (in my mind at least) I contacted the buyer of my VC and asked him if he would’ve preferred a beige or black/ grey interior. Beige was his first choice, so I ended up swapping (again !!) the two interiors over a couple of days. Needless to say that at this point, my wife, kids and pretty much everyone around me were sure I had gone crazy.

During that time, the V70 was off to paint because I couldn’t wait to get rid of the “Oreo cookie” look of my project.
About two months ago, I got my V70 back from paint and after a good alignment, I was able to drive it around for a few weeks. The car is now in storage for winter.

Now planning for the next steps, here’s the list of mods I’m planning to do comes springtime:

Polestar steering wheel (My RD will go back on the RD)
Polestar front calipers and disks (336mm Cross-drilled discs and calipers will go on the RD)
Polestar F and R suspension (RD suspension will go back on the RD)
Polestar rear sway bar and Front tower strut (Sway bar back on the RD)
Engine and Tranny change (Lowest millage I can find). Counting all the brand-new parts I have put on this car, it is going to be in pretty decent shape.
With so little (so to speak) to do on my V70, I’m already looking for the next project. I have a couple of ideas, but I still have a few months in front of me to decide.
Here’s a few pictures of the project. (The order of the pictures is messed up, but this is the best I could do)
IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0779.JPG

·
Administrator
55,906 Posts
Looks great in white with that version of the Polestar wheels! Look forward to seeing where this project goes!

When I was considering buying Justin's V70 T6 project (posted a bunch of picts on the swedespeed instagram account) - I researched and found out Europe offered a black headliner option for the P3 V70. It nice to know the pilar and trim pieces are available in black since redoing the fabric on the ceiling would be the most practical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks !

The grey pillars/ headliner makes a huge difference in the car compared with the beige one, but having it black would be awesome. I have painted the pillars black in my V70 RD (winter car) using fabric paint and it came out quite nice. When I take the white V70 out this spring, I'm going to take out the headliner out of the RD and finish the job. I didn't feel like doing it when I did the interior swap because the headliner is a pain in the a** to remove and reinstall. I wouldn't mess with the grey in the white V70 but I don't mind playing around with my RD. I'll let you know how this comes out.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
It's fun watching someone else do this and being able to watch from a distance. I'm curious how much your paint job cost you. I had everything but the roof and tail gate painted when I did my conversion so it would be completely uniform. I did a good bit of prep work ahead of time but, I think, mine was still in the $3k range. I've forgotten now what the price was...

Carlisle 2021 there can be a meeting of the only V70 T6s, provided things become safe again.

If this happens there should be area designated for the wagons specifically. If it happens, we can collect cones ahead of time. If Covid is still raving there should be a small meet up somewhere. My wife and I hope to make our way up to Canada for a trip, so maybe an informal meet would still be great. Haha, we'll need to find someone else to do the photography as I always think about it after the fact.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s one of my football buddy who is doing all my bodywork. The front bumper had a few dings and he repaired everything, plus he did two tones on the rear bumper. So front and rear bumper, fenders and side skirt from black to white for 2500$ CAD ( probably 300$ USD ;)). It is a real good deal I think. I’m thinking about having him do the hood eventually so that it is all nice and new in the front.

I would love to show you the car in person, I don’t know about any car meet though, but let’s keep in touch. My wife and I had planned to go to Boston some time soon, so hopefully all this mess will be resolved comes summer time.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Did you run into any fit/compatibility issues in putting the V60 interior in the V70?

·
Registered
234 Posts
This RD was a game changer for me because some parts of the interior were nearly impossible to find on the used market (RD trims, grey headliner and pillar covers) making the interior the way I really wanted it.
Just FYI, as of 2010, I think all the xc & v70s with black interiors had gray headliners & pillars.

I may offend some of you, but at that point two things were obvious for me. First, I realized I wasn’t a big fan of the XC model. Secondly, I couldn’t stomach the fact that I just dismantled one of the few real RD models shipped to this side of the pond.
I don't think anyone here will be offended. We end up with xc70s because we want a proper wagon with AWD & the T6, so the xc70 is the only option in these parts.

Also, I agree that dismantling a perfectly good V70rd is a bit sacrilegious...I stripped some parts off of mine, but only after it was totaled.

Beige was his first choice, so I ended up swapping (again !!) the two interiors over a couple of days. Needless to say that at this point, my wife, kids and pretty much everyone around me were sure I had gone crazy.
This is crazy, but I could see myself doing the exact same thing, or if I hadn't, spending the rest of the time I had the car kicking myself for not getting rid of the beige.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are two things that doesn’t fit for the rear. The first being the side cushions for the backrest are a different shape, so I had to swap the covers. The second thing is the center hook on the button cushion doesn’t fit. The shape of the “wire frame” on the cushion is different, so a small modification was necessary.
For the front seats, I’m still struggling to get my airbag light off. I did swap the passenger occupancy sensor, but it still gives me the same error code. Something on my to-do list for the spring...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just FYI, as of 2010, I think all the xc & v70s with black interiors had gray headliners & pillars.
That’s good to know. The 2010 are so rare in Canada, I think I only seen two for sale over the last couple of years, and I bought one (the RD)

I don't think anyone here will be offended. We end up with xc70s because we want a proper wagon with AWD & the T6, so the xc70 is the only option in these parts.

Also, I agree that dismantling a perfectly good V70rd is a bit sacrilegious...I stripped some parts off of mine, but only after it was totaled.
That’s why I am “rebuilding” one...and I’ll do the necessary to improve on it

This is crazy, but I could see myself doing the exact same thing, or if I hadn't, spending the rest of the time I had the car kicking myself for not getting rid of the beige.

·
Registered
883 Posts
There are two things that doesn’t fit for the rear. The first being the side cushions for the backrest are a different shape, so I had to swap the covers. The second thing is the center hook on the button cushion doesn’t fit. The shape of the “wire frame” on the cushion is different, so a small modification was necessary.
For the front seats, I’m still struggling to get my airbag light off. I did swap the passenger occupancy sensor, but it still gives me the same error code. Something on my to-do list for the spring...
Thanks...Good to know the back seat doesn’t require full custom upholstery to swap between a 60 & 70, and gives me hope all those S60 interiors are compatible with my S80.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I lost track of how many P3s were involved in this build LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I lost track of how many P3s were involved in this build LOL
Lol....I don't blame you.

I'll try to make sense of this.

Bought a 2009 XC70 T6 AWD

Then bought a 2010 V70 RD

Took the body parts from the RD and had them painted white. Took the body parts of the XC and had them painted black. Swapped the required mechanical parts (Knuckles, trailing arms, suspension) and interior.

Made the V70 T6 AWD using a lot of Polestar parts

Made a VC70 with the RD

Then sold this VC

Kept the two tone RD interior aside.

Then bought this 2009 V70 with a beige interior.

Then swapped the interior with the VC (using the RD seats)

And modifying it slowly into a genuine RD

Sorry for the confusion....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks, now I get it. Great builds. I dunno how you do it but I have never sold a car making a profit, so hats off.
In NYC XC with it's plastic protection has an advantage, but that's just the specifics of parallel parking here(bumper buddy recommended).

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Which fault is set currently? There are a couple differences between the early p3 seats and the later ones, but nothing to drastic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, now I get it. Great builds. I dunno how you do it but I have never sold a car making a profit, so hats off.
In NYC XC with it's plastic protection has an advantage, but that's just the specifics of parallel parking here(bumper buddy recommended).
Well, my goal is certainly not to make money with this. But if I consider the fact that I don’t carry a monthly car payment and if I factor in a monthly depreciation value in my calculation, I’m certainly not losing money while having my fun. One of the main factors I think is Volvo is not being perceived as the sexiest of car brand, but there is so much potential to make them cool. That combine with the fact not everyone is willing/ capable of playing with cars to make them the way we would want them to be, I think there’s always going to have some level of demand for “custom” Volvos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which fault is set currently? There are a couple differences between the early p3 seats and the later ones, but nothing to drastic.
Here is a screen shot of my Vida.
Here's a screenshot of my Vida. Right now, I have a headlights, TCS and Active suspension fault (Cluster) all related to me removing the 4C, and the airbag fault. I have used vDash to remove the 4C and disable the occupant sensor without any luck. Any input is more than welcomed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, photos in first post dosen't seem to work for me. I'm really curious about V60 interior swap. Please, reupload those pics!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts