SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a lot of debating, searching, and tension even here on this Forum, I still opted for the S60R, and finally this past weekend, brought one home.

Picked up in Reading PA from European Motors (a business I'll gladly work with again) and driven 5 hours back home, I must say that I've completely fallen in love with it. This thing has power EVERYWHERE, and even in 6th gear at 70+ mph, pulls MUCH harder than the Viper (I factor gearing into this mostly, but still...) The biggest problem I have with it frankly is that when the turbo finally spools up and kicks the car in it's a$$, it's actually hard to find the restraint to back off the throttle... Result? Doing 45 mph through my residential community... Oops...

No glaring problems popped up on the drive home, except an occassional "Headlight Malfunction - Service Required" warning on the dash... ...but both lights were working fine. It didn't do it all the time, and in fact hasn't come on since. So I dunno.

I need to sell some leftover parts from the Stratus Coupe I sold last week, and plan on using the profits to purchase 1) Wheel spacers (this is Pittsburgh - I'll have enough problems to deal with besides tires rubbing) and 2) the Turbo inlet piping. I also really want the EVOLVE front grill and hood grill, a K&N (or equivalent) CAI, some sort of better-sounding muffler (this car sounds unlike anything I've ever had, so I have NO idea what direction go to with it...) and REALLY want to buy the factory "sport" body kit...

Anyways, I know you guys want pics, so here they are!

Avatar and Siggy have been updated accordingly. :)

Despite some differences of opinions between some members here and myself, I do appreciate the assistance you guys have provided in making this decision and being prepared for what might lie ahead. As I prepare to start "modding," I'm sure I'll be around a bit more often!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Looks sweet the addiction has begun. Welcome to the community officially.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Need Euro plate

These are the near perfect car. I do miss my V70R. Only thing I can suggest is a European plate (Swedish of course) to cover the indents from the old plate bracket. I had the same issue on my wagon and I loved the look of the Euro plates up front. I actually sold the car to someone out of state and kept the Euro plates and stuck in on my kids' platinum wagon for the same reasons:)

Enjoy the new ride.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
Needs moar body kit.
mmmm needs more color.
who cares about bodykits. color man color.
oops, sorry: welcome viperman, i bet your viper is red.
edit: **** looks like black in garage.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Cool, congrats! What's the interior? Nordkap maybe? Hard to tell from the pics. Now, proceed directly to stage II: FMIC, turbo-back exhaust, tune, IPD/Kelly CAI, and throw some TME or Eibach springs on there, oh and maybe some IPD trac-spec sways. It'll be a whole new caR.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
don't think some1 with a viper AND just an R want's convert the R to a track car.

be carefull by getting the sportkit viperman, it could maybe look cheap at the end.
I've been wondering also about a bodykit of somekind since the sportkit is there.... never felt in love with it. But then again I'm in europe and dont have much bodykits here nor R's. So I just adore my ride when i walk to her.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Actually the other thing I forgot to mention was taking it to a body shop to have the front bumper "cleaned up" - remove the holes and freshen up the paint. I like my cars with a real clean look in the front - no tags or decals or anything. I also plan on debadging the car with the exception of the 'R' labels of course. With the tinted windows and such, it'll look REAL nice with a minimalist approach.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Interior is Nordkap, really good shape too except for the cheap center console with the paint coming off. I'll have to figure out how to remove that and plasti-cote it or something. I also need to get that "someone else's used car" smell out. :)

The car actually already has IPD sway bars - the ride is rather harsh, especially on Western PA's magnificent highways... I plan on helping the Turbo to hopefully reduce some lag, but am not really looking for a "stage 2" - this is after all going to have a baby seat in the back within the next 6 months... That is one reason though that I'm glad the back windows are so heavily tinted... ;)

By the way, how hard is it to disassemble the headlights on these cars? I don't like all the chrome-silver behind the lense - was thinking of taking them apart and getting the non-reflective parts painted body color. Anyone do that yet?

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
search and follow the headlightlense remove .... in the US they don't sell glass allone.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow - the front of the lense is actually glass?? Man - every car I've ever seen was plastic...

Anyone ever try the oven method? You remove the bulbs and everything "fragile" from the leadlamp (rubber vent hoses, any screws, etc) and then stick it in an oven set to about 250 degrees or so for 25-30 minutes, maybe less, until the glue gets soft enough that you can just pry it apart...

I did that on my '01 Stratus and it worked perfectly. Lamp was hotter 'n hell when it came out, but some new Mechanix gloves made that easy to deal with.

I'm just hesitant to mess with them at all since they're RIDICULOUSLY expensive to replace. (I could replace BOTH on the Stratus for just over $200...)

**EDIT** My other idea was just to get some inexpensive lightly-smoked vinyl to wrap over the headlamps. That way it'll also protect it a bit from rock chips and such...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
No glaring problems popped up on the drive home, except an occassional "Headlight Malfunction - Service Required" warning on the dash... ...but both lights were working fine. It didn't do it all the time, and in fact hasn't come on since. So I dunno.
I'd put off some of those mods and save $1000-2000 first because it sounds like you may have some headlight issues down the line. Could be the ballast (a known trouble area) or the auto-leveling motors. I'd get it checked out and see if it's anything major before your window for taking it back and having the seller fix it is closed (if it isn't already).

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Def tint the lens (rear and front) you can use film or spray for either and also tint the side marker lights. Looks good on the Ti and is a cheap upgrade. Also painted calipers is a nice touch that isn't expensive.

A Down pipe and an Exhaust is a good upgrade maybe even just doing the center resonator delete, make sure you do that or you will end up with rain squeal which is god awful when it's raining or snow on the ground. A magnaflow is a good muffler many forum users have used for their custom exhaust or even glass packs/cherry bombs. If you want a pre-fabbed exhaust the iPD one sounds awesome.

Make sure you also don't have an EBD installed. Don't wanna be riding in those awful PA roads and screw your drive shaft up.

The R-Kelly CAI is a great upgrade to the factory box and you can either buy the kit iPD sales or DIY with some HD drain hose and some skill.

I'm pretty sure you can still buy the factory kit from Tasca or troll the classifieds but it isn't gonna be cheap. Just gotta have Zen like patience :D

Springs are also a good upgrade to fix fender gap and ride.

Good luck with the car and happy modifying :D

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay someone help me out. WTF is the "R-Kelly" CAI, and why in the WORLD did someone name a mod after some washed-up singer who pees on kids...? (lol)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
F the R dude. Lets see the viper

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Okay someone help me out. WTF is the "R-Kelly" CAI, and why in the WORLD did someone name a mod after some washed-up singer who pees on kids...? (lol)
Why don't you do a little research here before you make another dumb statement?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Why don't you do a little research here before you make another dumb statement?
Allow me to assist- Viper dude is making what we call a joke. It is, in this situation, done by making an intentionally inane statement for the enjoyment and perhaps groans of the community.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts