1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Wasn't this to be expected? Remember, for all the things Volvo is (reliable, well built, luxurious, practical, and in some cases mindbogglingly fast [Polestar S60]) they will always be the safest cars on earth. :D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
And yet, of all those brands, Volvo sells the least. So, does safety sell?

Every car buyer has their priorities. There's comes a point where people feel "safe enough" and then other vehicle amenities are considered more important.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Every car buyer has their priorities. There's comes a point where people feel "safe enough" and then other vehicle amenities are considered more important.
True, but if Volvo keeps putting up modern designs ... they'll catch up. I'm seeing more and more Volvo cars around here lately, and they were rare before. People like the new designs, and they'll start reflecting that as the year progresses further

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Volvo cars never sold well. Makes me wonder how their sales and employees make a living... Now that Geely owns Volvo, it won't help either. Yes yes I know, and we all know on the forums here how Volvo operates, but many don't.

Up here in Canada, I still continue to see more new Mercedes-Benz C-Class and BMW 3 series than Volvo S60. If my memory is correct, the Volvo is the cheapest to lease too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Volvo cars never sold well. Makes me wonder how their sales and employees make a living... Now that Geely owns Volvo, it won't help either. Yes yes I know, and we all know on the forums here how Volvo operates, but many don't.

Up here in Canada, I still continue to see more new Mercedes-Benz C-Class and BMW 3 series than Volvo S60. If my memory is correct, the Volvo is the cheapest to lease too.
Brand growth takes time. BMW and Merc have decades of appeal whereas Volvos were always an alternative choice. Volvo has only begun becoming more appealing to a mass market. Quite frankly until I had seen a 2011 Volvo S60 on the road last year when I thought of Volvo I thought of boxy old station wagons. They have a decades old image to shed to beat Merc and BMW and it will take time.

·
Registered
329 Posts

What are the manufacturing numbers like?

·
Registered
96 Posts

The main reason I purchased my 2012 S60 was because of the safety record. Of course the S60 is also a pleasure to drive, has enough power for my liking, and is a terrific car didn't hurt either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I never thought I would buy/lease a Volvo. I have had Lexus, Audi, Acura, and BMW's. I took the Edmunds.com car test to see what I should get and the #1 Option was a BMW 5 series, #2 was a Volvo S60. I thought they were crazy until I looked at the pictures. I test drove a lot of cars from other luxury brands this round and went with the S60 T5. If Volvo keeps on making great looking cars and offering good lease deals, then people like me will continue to find the brand.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Wasn't this to be expected?
If you look around on BMW, Audi, and MB enthusiast forums as well as on the rest of the internet, I think you will find that most people talking about it honestly believe their German luxury car is as safe as a Volvo. I suspect the majority of non-enthusiast luxury car owners have been convinced of the same thing. If you search Google for information on who is safer instead of looking at actual tests, opinions seem to point at BMW, in particular, being just as safe as Volvo.

Safety definitely sells. To what extent safety matters and what sacrifices are people willing to make in the safety category for additional luxury, performance, and prestige is another question.

I never thought I would buy/lease a Volvo. I have had Lexus, Audi, Acura, and BMW's. I took the Edmunds.com car test to see what I should get and the #1 Option was a BMW 5 series, #2 was a Volvo S60. I thought they were crazy until I looked at the pictures. I test drove a lot of cars from other luxury brands this round and went with the S60 T5. If Volvo keeps on making great looking cars and offering good lease deals, then people like me will continue to find the brand.
Yeah, I don't get the obsession with the 5-series either. BMW's interior is terribly ugly and the material really are not that great. Audi and Mercedes make beautiful interiors. BMW makes crap (IMHO) if you compare it to anything other than an economy sedan, and even some of those are better looking.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Safety is a selling point, but I don't think it's typically the key factor in choosing a car. Advertising, styling, amenities, price, and reputation all are much more important factors. Volvo has a reputation of producing staid and uninspiring vehicles ... safe boxes built like tanks. That's not what most people are drawn to when car shopping.

Volvo is now well capitalized and can spend some money on design and promotion. New, more exciting designs, coupled with more aggressive advertising and positive feedback from owners and car magazines, is what will move the brand into BMW and Audi territory as far as sales. The new AWD T5 is an example of good marketing, in that it brings the S60 AWD down into a more affordable price range for many car shoppers. I think that Volvo sales will keep increasing, but it will take a few years before the general public recognizes Volvo as a viable alternative to the German and Japanese competition.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Brand growth takes time. BMW and Merc have decades of appeal whereas Volvos were always an alternative choice. Volvo has only begun becoming more appealing to a mass market. Quite frankly until I had seen a 2011 Volvo S60 on the road last year when I thought of Volvo I thought of boxy old station wagons. They have a decades old image to shed to beat Merc and BMW and it will take time.
Well said! and right now I feel Volvo is a well kept secret. Every bit as nice as a Lexus, Audi, ect but people aren't really cross shopping, I think, for the reasons you just stated. In fact, if it wasn't for me killing time (while my VW was getting repaired) at the Volvo dealer next door, I wouldn't have even noticed the new S60 so I guess Volvo has VW's poor reliability to thank :) I've even told my friends, after I purchased the S60, that "It's a Volvo that doesn't look too much like a Volvo." :beer:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Something else that's interesting: IIHS is going to be coming out with a new crash test soon, the "small overlap" frontal crash. Anyway, it looks like they already did the test on the S60 and the Lexus IS, and this PDF shows how much better the S60's structure held up in comparison to the IS's (granted this is preliminary and no injury measurements or rating has been released yet for either vehicle -- or any vehicle for that matter -- for this particular crash test):

http://www.iihs.org/Lifesavers/pres...cupant Protection Technology_SmallOverlap.pdf

As IIHS tests more vehicles with the small overlap test and officially releases the results, it'll be interesting to see the final rating that the S60 gets and what the best performing vehicles are. Based on that picture alone though, I wouldn't be surprised if the S60, and other Volvos for that matter, are top performers.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Something else that's interesting: IIHS is going to be coming out with a new crash test soon, the "small overlap" frontal crash. Anyway, it looks like they already did the test on the S60 and the Lexus IS, and this PDF shows how much better the S60's structure held up in comparison to the IS's (granted this is preliminary and no injury measurements or rating has been released yet for either vehicle -- or any vehicle for that matter -- for this particular crash test):

http://www.iihs.org/Lifesavers/pres...cupant Protection Technology_SmallOverlap.pdf

As IIHS tests more vehicles with the small overlap test and officially releases the results, it'll be interesting to see the final rating that the S60 gets and what the best performing vehicles are. Based on that picture alone though, I wouldn't be surprised if the S60, and other Volvos for that matter, are top performers.
Wow! The difference between the 2006 Lexus moderate overlap vs the 2012 small overlap is like night and day. It's almost as if the other car companies are building their cars to just score good on existing crash tests and not incorporating Volvo's more holistic approach to be ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's awesome. The more tests the better.
Agreed, and that's one of the things I love about IIHS, they seem to constantly be tweaking the "Top Safety Pick" program (every couple years) to make it more difficult for a vehicle to get the award.

Now if only they'd:

- Increase the weight of their side-impact moving barrier (and/or the speed it travels at impact)
- Add a new side-impact test that hits the center of the C pillar (the current one only hits the center of the B)
- Release ratings for how the rear passengers fare in the frontal crash test
- Increase the speed of the frontal crash test slightly (even just 5MPH maybe)

;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow! The difference between the 2006 Lexus moderate overlap vs the 2012 small overlap is like night and day. It's almost as if the other car companies are building their cars to just score good on existing crash tests and not incorporating Volvo's more holistic approach to be ahead of the curve.
Or at least Lexus (I'm reserving judgement on other manufacturers until IIHS tests more vehicles). But yeah, this is definitely an opportunity for Volvo to prove that their marketing about how they really test and build their cars for "real world crash conditions" rather than just the official crash tests is more than just marketing.

Also, FYI, there were no structural changes between the 2006 and 2012 Lexus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts