SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current S80 is very luxurious, but I feel that should change for the next generation, since it should be a bit more sporty. Looking at tier 1 brands, there is a sportiness that is visible in the mid-size executive segment. The 5 and A6 is a perfect example.

Should the next S80 be less luxurious for the S100 to play that role??

I keep this next part in mind when it comes to future Volvo offerings... Volvo should stay Volvo, it should be unique..... This should be true, but I also look at the German brands and I see style differences quite well.

The Mercedes Benz is classic luxury

The Audi is sporty luxury

The BMW is whimsical/dynamic luxury

The Volvo should be modern luxury

Volvo should offer more luxurious products, but I can see a difference in styling in the luxury category. The modern design is Swedish design in my eyes. This should be extremely apparent in the next S80

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Actually, I think Audi is now occupying the modern luxury moniker. I agree. Volvo should and will be modern luxury fairly soon or, even better, contemporary luxury.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I vote for "practical luxury". The cars should pamper their owners in terms of ease of use. Everything should just "be so easy" .

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I vote Modern Luxury ALL THE WAY. The Swedes are exceptional at modern luxurious furniture and the S80 is already of modern minimalist luxury, though it could still use a little more emotion. The V40 is a great example of modern luxury combined with emotion because it's sculpted yet not overly shouty and the interior is gorgeous, especially those seats. Hopefully with the facelift (crossing fingers for an interior refresh too!) the S80 will once again be Volvo's leading edge.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I dunno. I have this sinking feeling that the next S80 is just going to be a large S60. I certainly hope that's not true and Volvo bucks the industry trend but I'm hesitant to hope otherwise. I've already sort of made my decision that my next car won't be a Volvo though so I suppose it doesn't matter. The new S80 would need to be stunningly to keep me interested.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I dunno. I have this sinking feeling that the next S80 is just going to be a large S60. I certainly hope that's not true and Volvo bucks the industry trend but I'm hesitant to hope otherwise. I've already sort of made my decision that my next car won't be a Volvo though so I suppose it doesn't matter. The new S80 would need to be stunningly to keep me interested.
Its going larger then the current car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would ask for:

a leather dashboard

Swedish glass elements (buttons or something)

beautifully incorporated rear infotainment in headrest (some models don't look so great)

larger front monitor

interior colors other than black and beige (I really like gray leather and walnut trim)

completely LED headlamps

accent lighting

more "floating" in the console

no hook door handle, something similar but different

·
Registered
719 Posts
We bought the S80 as family car, it worked well for 4 of us but with the newest little, not so much. It got demoted to my commuter and we probably would not own it. It is a wonderful vehicle though. that being said I hope the next incarnation is not a larger 60, and hopefully a stand alone design.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
all that was told to be its going to be larger and called the S90.
I hope the S80 replacement is a little larger in legroom and width. A car that slots in size between the C and D segments would be perfect in my opinion. I also hope it has more luxury features available then the current S80.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Actually, I think Audi is now occupying the modern luxury moniker. I agree. Volvo should and will be modern luxury fairly soon or, even better, contemporary luxury.
I agree. I think the Concept You actually fits this bill quite nicely, now if only they execute it to this level of product to a certain degree and add a real engine into it.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
I would ask for:
My wants in a next gen S80 are a bit more mundane. How about a COMPLETE set of instrumentation, including a REAL gas gauge, temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge? And don't forget the BOOST gauge for turbo models!

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Very "factual". You can always trust a website that claims the current S80 is powered by a 3.0L V6...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
all that was told to be its going to be larger and called the S90.
I was just confused as to why you quoted me since that didn't really seem relevant to my fear of the next S80 simply being a larger S60.

As far as that "facelift" I'd imagine that's just an interim thing (and maybe just for that market?). I would expect Volvo to do a bit more for the next generation.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anyways! I also hope for 21 inch tires,

would you prefer the S80 to be based on the Concept You or the Concept Universe for the front??

1 - 20 of 50 Posts