SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

I had IPD's TME springs and rear sway installed a few weeks ago and the differences between comfort, sport and advanced settings seem much more pronounced. What I don't understand is that now there is a noticable difference in the suspension behaviour depending on whether the sport button is on or off. Does this change anything in the suspension settings?

Otherwise, I think the springs are settleing in nicely. Everyone that drives it, (including my wife) loves the way it handles.

Thanks, (in Advanced).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: The "S" button. (nevolvo)

What year/model volvo did you modify?

You might also put that info in your signature or bio to help others understand the context of your suggestions/comments too.

Thanks and welcome

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Well, let's see.
Assuming you have an 04-06 R with THREE DIFFERENT SUSPENSION SETTINGS and you installed springs WHICH DIRECTLY EFFECT THE SUSPENSION,
why would you think they wouldn't change the way the suspension feels?
In stock form you should easily feel the difference in each setting so with stiffer springs you will feel everything (ie: each setting) a bit more.
Enjoy your car/wagon
JRL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: The "S" button. (JRL)

Sorry about the confusion. I had to read your post a couple of times to figure it out. I meant the "S" button near the shifter, not the "sport" button for the chassis settings.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I believe the S button near the shifter changes keeps the tranny in a lower gear longer and lets it downshift sooner, i.e. more aggressive shift pattern.

From my '05 Owner's Manual: "R-models are equipped with a (S)port button that can be used to engage/disengage the Sport shifting mode. An indicator light in the button will go on when Sport mode is engaged.
With Sport mode engaged, the transmission will shift up at higher rpm in first and second gears, and will also shift down at higher rpm for more immediate engine response during acceleration and deceleration."

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: The "S" button. (Lead Foot 60)

What is the suspension change that you notice when you are in S mode? Does it get harder or something?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: The "S" button. (e1618978)

Basically, yes.

With the "S" button engaged, you can easily feel the change in transmission shift points and increased throttle response. These changes were as apparent with the old springs but now, the "S" button also seems to effect the suspension. If it does then it always did, it's just that now, with the spring upgrade, it's more apparent. The main difference is that it's firmer with the "S" engaged. This is most noticable in "comfort" mode where the ride is really, really smooth with the "s" off and harsh on bumps, "moderate to large size" with it on.

No one here has ever talked about this switch effecting the suspension so I'm just asking out of curosity. Am I dreaming this?

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nevolvo »

No one here has ever talked about this switch effecting the suspension so I'm just asking out of curosity. Am I dreaming this?

I would suspect...yes.

The S button on the transmission only affects the transmission, not the suspension. I would suspect that you already know what the situation is....the stiffer suspension is causing you to notice the difference in shifting from the transmission. There is no difference in the 4C action whether you are in sport or not. However, putting the 4C in advanced does put the transmission in sport mode.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: The "S" button. (needsdecaf)

O.K. Thanks for all your input. I'll have to pay more attention but it sure feels like it takes bumps differently.

Thanks Again -

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: The "S" button. (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Well, let's see.
Assuming you have an 04-06 R with THREE DIFFERENT SUSPENSION SETTINGS and you installed springs WHICH DIRECTLY EFFECT THE SUSPENSION,
why would you think they wouldn't change the way the suspension feels?
In stock form you should easily feel the difference in each setting so with stiffer springs you will feel everything (ie: each setting) a bit more.
Enjoy your car/wagon
JRL

As I understand it, the "S" button below the shifter adjusts the transmission ONLY, not the suspension.

So if you feel the ride is stiffer, it's because you're going over the bumps at a faster speed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts