SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where you can take pity on those of us who are too lazy and/or too stupid to RTFM.

I might be some of each. The manual is sort of confusing and intimidating. I've spent hours reading it and I still don't know things like:

1) How to cause the front passenger-side door to unlock when all three of the other doors are unlocked.

2) How to adjust the parking sensors. They don't sound until I'm within a few inches of an obstacle. It's really too late by then. The sensors are clean.

3) Similarly, how to adjust the front collision warning sensitivity. By which I mean the lights which go from amber to blinking red on the top of the dash, reflected in the windshield--whatever that function is called. They never show until ridiculously late. I was able to adjust the sensitivity of the cruise control with no problem. But this one only sounded / displayed once when someone was turning in front of me and I got inches from his rear bumper. I really need more warning than that. Also a lot of time they don't seem to react at all.

Any ideas ??

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
None of these things are RTFM-answerable questions.

1) Not sure why you're not getting the door to unlock while others are, might be something faulty with the individual door or door module. You'll need a DICE module and a copy of VIDA to diagnose the issue and see if there are any errors being logged.

2) Calibration of parking sensors is done in VIDA. I'd leave that to the dealer tech though. I'm not familiar with the process, but it probably involves doing some calibration against measurements from a wall or object for all sensors front and back.

3) Not sure on this one, again, if anything it would probably be done in VIDA.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Edit; ****, beaten. Thanks p.rico

1) if three doors unlock and one doesn’t, it’s probably a bad lock. Here are my options under My Car/Settings/Car Settings/Lock Settings. You can navigate here by pressing “my car” and using the wheel to the right to scroll and select.

2) I don’t think there’s a way to change parking sensor distances in the infotainment menu, drive slower while parking. There might be something that could be done with a VIDA/DICE tool but if you don’t want to RTFM then you shouldn’t be screwing around with a VIDA/DICE tool.

3) not sure and I’m not going to be driving for several hours, but the only adjustment I found in My Car/Settings/Driver Support Systems/Collision Warning was this, and I think it does something. I get the collision warning to fire at least once every time I’m driving around (25 mile commute), and I never feel like I should be braking; however I’m paying attention to the road so maybe the system assumes the operator is alive as well.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
@archguy:
For point 1 about the door, do you mean when unlocking the car 3 doors unlock and 1 does not?
I have that issue and I have to unlock that specific door manually by pulling the handle from the inside. Not sure what the cause is but it could be a faulty lock.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of these things are RTFM-answerable questions.

1) Not sure why you're not getting the door to unlock while others are, might be something faulty with the individual door or door module. You'll need a DICE module and a copy of VIDA to diagnose the issue and see if there are any errors being logged.

2) Calibration of parking sensors is done in VIDA. I'd leave that to the dealer tech though. I'm not familiar with the process, but it probably involves doing some calibration against measurements from a wall or object for all sensors front and back.

3) Not sure on this one, again, if anything it would probably be done in VIDA.

Thanks very much. I spend so much time with the manual and don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

Would parking-sensor calibration be covered under the factory warranty? I still have a few months left.

@almaz, yes, like that. When I unlock the doors people can get in the back seat but not the front. Bit of a nuisance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would also be awesome if there's a way to disable the warnings when you're moving in the opposite direction. Very jarring to hear the loud beep, then you panic brake, then it turns out it was in the front when you are backing up, or vice versa. SMH..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I noticed the other day that my DRLs weren't on. Even though the setting was turned on.
To get them to illuminate I had to turn the parking lights on. Is something wrong there?

·
Registered
57 Posts
you can find the answer to your lighting question by finding “lighting” in the table of contents. tl;dr, the DRLs will be off depending on the headlight selector position.

As for the parking sensors, there are two different tones for the front and back, I can’t remember which is which however. Try driving toward/reversing toward a wall to hear the difference.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
It would also be awesome if there's a way to disable the warnings when you're moving in the opposite direction. Very jarring to hear the loud beep, then you panic brake, then it turns out it was in the front when you are backing up, or vice versa. SMH..
The front sensors only play tones through the front speakers and the back sensors play through the rear speakers. You should be able to recognize the beeps by that localization.

Otherwise, you can also turn down the front or rear volume independently.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can find the answer to your lighting question by finding “lighting” in the table of contents. tl;dr, the DRLs will be off depending on the headlight selector position.

As for the parking sensors, there are two different tones for the front and back, I can’t remember which is which however. Try driving toward/reversing toward a wall to hear the difference.
Thanks, as I said the setting for the DRLs is set to ON. What effect will the headlight setting be? I thought DRL ON meant they're always on whenever the car is running.

The slightly different tones for the sensors don't really matter. When you're backing up and suddenly hear the warning tone, you hit the brakes. You don't spend time thinking, now exactly which tone is that I'm hearing, the front or the rear tone? And which is which again? No, you hit the brakes. Then it turns out it was the wrong tone. That needs re-thinking. The simple solution would be to sound the tone when you're approaching an obstacle, not backing away from one.

And Rico, I'm sure you know that the human ears are unable to distinguish a sound directly ahead from one directly behind. Because of how sound waves arrive at the ears at the same time in either case. Now if your head is turned, obviously, it should be easier. I'll try that next time.

Now, can anyone tell me how to retract the windshield wipers? I read something in the manual about a 'service position' does that require the hood to be open? I've never seen a car where the wipers couldn't be pulled away from the windscreen. Am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
@almaz, yes, like that. When I unlock the doors people can get in the back seat but not the front. Bit of a nuisance.
Sounds like a door lock motor is faulty. If your car is still under warranty that should be covered.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ok I have this issue. The car is set to auto lock the doors once driving commences, all good.

But when I stop the car, and open my door the rest of the doors stay locked which is a pain for example if my wife gets out of the drivers side and tries to open the back door for the kids it wont open as she doesn't have the proximity key with her (If I get out and open the doors with the key on me they are fine). We don't want the kids opening the doors themselves for obvious reasons.

Is there a way for the car to completely unlock all doors when I open my door or turn off the ignition (other than me pushing the unlock button on the door)?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I have this issue. The car is set to auto lock the doors once driving commences, all good.

But when I stop the car, and open my door the rest of the doors stay locked which is a pain for example if my wife gets out of the drivers side and tries to open the back door for the kids it wont open as she doesn't have the proximity key with her (If I get out and open the doors with the key on me they are fine). We don't want the kids opening the doors themselves for obvious reasons.

Is there a way for the car to completely unlock all doors when I open my door or turn off the ignition (other than me pushing the unlock button on the door)?
Did you see the pics upthread in post #3? I think they relate to your question.
At any rate I believe it's user-selectable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!

Another way to get the wipers into service is when you shut the car off. Press the stop/start to turn the engine off. Then move the wiper stalk up and hold for a second. It will move the wipers into service mode.
Sounds like a simplified version of the above. I'll try this tomorrow.

Meanwhile, new questions: 1) the MPH warning is so very neat. I really like that it flashes when you're speeding, though I can certainly see why some people would turn it off as it's a bit of a nanny. But.... can it be adjusted so it only blinks when you're 5mph over the limit, or some such. Okay, I really should look at the manual for that. But... on certain roads it fails to update, such as when I turn off the street I live on (25mph) onto a main road (45mph) it stays blinking 25mph for several minutes.

2) Please please tell me there's a way to open & close windows and sunroof from outside the car. I've tried holding down the lock/unlock buttons on the fob but they do nothing. I read somewhere that Volvo does this as other Euro & Japanese cars do. It's really essential for example when it's 100 degrees and sunny, and you wish to ventilate your black-on-black car before getting in, and (even more often) you've left the sunroof tilted after leaving the car. I can't even close it by getting back in, I have to hit the ignition switch. That can't be right, can it?

My car is a 2016 S60 with a lot of tech options, if that helps.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Did you see the pics upthread in post #3? I think they relate to your question.
At any rate I believe it's user-selectable.
The Lock settings>Doors unlock>All Doors in #3 only refers to when you unlock the car from outside either using the key or in the case of keyless entry, if you open any one door from outside. What I’m referring to is when you come to a stop, turn off the car and open the driver’s door from inside, it does not unlock all the doors. I’m sure it’s a safety feature but as I said it means that when the mrs gets out of the driver’s side, she cannot go to the back door and open it, nor can the boot (trunk) be open for that matter given I have the car set to ‘lock all doors’ after set off. I guess the only way is to unselect this option so the doors are just always unlocked during transit.

2) Please please tell me there's a way to open & close windows and sunroof from outside the car. I've tried holding down the lock/unlock buttons on the fob but they do nothing. I read somewhere that Volvo does this as other Euro & Japanese cars do. It's really essential for example when it's 100 degrees and sunny, and you wish to ventilate your black-on-black car before getting in, and (even more often) you've left the sunroof tilted after leaving the car. I can't even close it by getting back in, I have to hit the ignition switch. That can't be right, can it?

Someone might want to confirm but I believe that options is not available in the US and cant be enabled either? I am in Australia with a Euro spec car and it has this option.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Someone might want to confirm but I believe that options is not available in the US and cant be enabled either? I am in Australia with a Euro spec car and it has this option.
In the US, this can't be enabled by Volvo.

VDASH, however...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
And Rico, I'm sure you know that the human ears are unable to distinguish a sound directly ahead from one directly behind. Because of how sound waves arrive at the ears at the same time in either case. Now if your head is turned, obviously, it should be easier. I'll try that next time.

In your situation in specific, the sound would have to be 1) equal in tone with no phase shift, and 2) time shifted (not equidistant) if in tones in equal periodicity, or 3) solid in tone.

The rear speakers are closer to the rear of your ears than the fronts, so if you start a tone, you'll hear it from the rear milliseconds prior to the arrival of the front tone. This is why serious audiophiles delete the rear speakers and focus on the front soundstage, as any rear fill that is equal in volume just messes with the sound stage.

Let's just say the S60's Harmon Kardon amplifier does indeed time shift the tones so that they do arrive to your ear at the same time. (I believe the amp does actually have time delay built in, as evidenced by the "Driver Seat" equalization setting).

In the parking situation you describe, you would still be able to hear the difference between front and back however because:

1) the tones would be beeping at different intervals based on the distance to the front or rear obstacles, so you would know which direction they are coming from. You would hear faster beeping or even tones if the rear obstacle were closer than the front obstacle,

and more importantly,

2) because both the front and the rear tone are two entirely discernibly different octaves. The front tone is in the lower mid treble and the rears are in the upper mid bass.

I park on a one way street with parallel parking on both sides. So as I park into a spot, I generally get close to the cars in front and behind the spot, and on the opposite side of the street if a car is there. I guess I have gotten used to being able to quickly discern which sensors are going off and know the sound tone difference between front and back well enough.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Thanks!

Sounds like a simplified version of the above. I'll try this tomorrow.

Meanwhile, new questions: 1) the MPH warning is so very neat. I really like that it flashes when you're speeding, though I can certainly see why some people would turn it off as it's a bit of a nanny. But.... can it be adjusted so it only blinks when you're 5mph over the limit, or some such. Okay, I really should look at the manual for that. But... on certain roads it fails to update, such as when I turn off the street I live on (25mph) onto a main road (45mph) it stays blinking 25mph for several minutes.

Traffic Signal Information (TSI) works terribly on most cars, so much that some auto manufacturers are disabling the system or providing the option to the user.

Global Open/Close is available to activation through VDASH. I've done it on my car, and so have several others. Many posts and several threads on this topic, including my install/DIY thread.

Not to be crass, and not trying to bash you, but the the title of this thread should be more so "The I Need to Search Swedespeed Thread" instead of RTFM, as nearly everything you're asking about is on here and in the sticky threads. :p:beer:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts