SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my wife's Volvo probably died the Monday, doing what it was designed to do, saving my family.

Without going into details, the accident was her fault, no one was seriously hurt, but the wife and I have a bunch of bumps and bruises. Her airbags deployed, and she has a lot of burns, scratches, etc. That's all of the injuries though. Both kids were in the Volvo, both kids 100% fine.

On one hand, I have gotten really sick of how difficult it is to fix the Volvos, especially as mine is currently going through a $1500 clutch replacement. But on the other hand, this is what they're designed to do. There was not even one tiny bit of cabin intrusion, the car took the hit and distributed it completely around my family. It was by far the worst hit I've ever taken inside a car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I personally know two people whose lives have been saved by Volvos. You have to love a car that will sacrifice its life for you.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Sad to see that happen to a nice vehicle. Glad to hear you're OK.

What does the insurance company say? Fix or scrap?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The long and short of it is that my wife ran into my rental car at the turn into the rental place. My R is getting a new clutch, so I had to rent a car to get from the airport to home on Sunday and returned it Monday. We were in the process of returning it. I stopped to make a left into the turn, and the sun was behind us. My rental was grey, colored like the road, and the sun was right on my tail lights. She said she was staring right at it, but couldn't tell the brake lights were on, and once she realized how quickly she was closing, it was too late. I realized she wasn't going to be able to stop, and gunned it and tried to ditch to a parking lot on my right, but she had the same idea, and hit my rear. She was within 4 feet of a telephone pole, so had she not hit me, she might have hit the pole. My car absorbed the hit and went up and over an embankment.

Hit was probably about 30 or 35 I'd say. It was at a place that changed from 35 to 55, but I gunned it and she was braking, so actual collision speed? Maybe like 25 to 30ish?

My rental was like a 2013 or so Mazda3, decently safe. But the kids had the choice to go in either car when we left daycare and they both chose Mommy's car, and I couldn't be happier that they were in the Volvo and not the Mazda, even though the Mazda did just fine.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm so glad everyone is OK. Any pics of the rental? What did the rental place have to say after you gave them their car back?;-)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm so glad everyone is OK. Any pics of the rental? What did the rental place have to say after you gave them their car back?;-)
The rental place guy was as in shock as we were...

Really crummy circumstances, and I can't emphasize enough that my wife is truly a good driver and this sort of lapse can happen to anyone.

Rental car was pretty smushed as well.

Here's one without the bumper cover on. Really did a number on the V70.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's weird, I was more nostalgic about cutting the carseat straps than I was about saying goodbye to the Volvo.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Ouch. The insurance company is going to love you...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch. The insurance company is going to love you...
Indeed...

Well, we've had insurance with them for like 10 years and never had an accident that was our fault (my M3 did get smushed in my work parking lot by a runaway truck, but they got paid back for that).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts