SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many times has yours been in for paint work?

This time:

Door getting repainted AGAIN

Rear bumper/spoiler paint/repair - got hit - again

Drip moulding repaint (clear coat started peeling wtf)

PDR on one door from a couple dings

$600

The car has had the following painted already:

All 4 doors

Front bumper

Rear bumper

Quarter panels

Fuel door

·
6,436 Posts
Having my car painted like that would bug the hell out of me

for me, the only pieces I had professionally painted were the body-kit stuff

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Having my car painted like that would bug the hell out of me

for me, the only pieces I had professionally painted were the body-kit stuff
Why would it bug you? My car looks like brand new :)

There was a piece of dust in the paint, and I made them re-do. I was fortunate enough to find the clear coat issue on the drip moulding before I dropped it off yesterday, so it's all getting repainted.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Once a year for me. It seems like I've had the entire car repainted, sections each time. I've kept my mouth shut when an incident takes place.

Never had an issue after it was painted nor could you tell.

I know of some here that have trouble with the body kits getting painted. This is due to not enough flex in the paint.

·
6,436 Posts
Why would it bug you? My car looks like brand new :)

There was a piece of dust in the paint, and I made them re-do. I was fortunate enough to find the clear coat issue on the drip moulding before I dropped it off yesterday, so it's all getting repainted.
it would bug me because it's not how it came from the factory...i know I'm weird like that

Also I'd never buy a used car which has been painted before....

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
it would bug me because it's not how it came from the factory...i know I'm weird like that

touché... factory paint > re-paint.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Unless it's custom. How come no custom paint on any R's around here (SS)? you guys aren't that old are you?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

It's true, I was actually pretty annoyed when I got hit. I figure though, better new paint than old.. You really can't tell the difference, only if you look extremely closely in very intense light can you see the difference in the clear coat. The texture is 99% identical, but that's also due to the experience the paint guys have.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
The after market process is not the same as the OEM. The bake temps are much higher at the factory, which yields a much stronger finish.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
+1 for two primary reasons:
1.) no mask lines
2.) better chip resistance, especially the nose.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My caR is due for a repaint in the next year or two - TONS of small chips along the hood, some scratches here and there - figured if someone seriously dings it, will just have the paint the whole thing. I think my paint is too far gone for even a good detail to bring back - but will probably try that first come spring.
No custom paint for me - was thinking about black pain for the roof or a gunmetal off-center stripe. :)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I think my paint is too far gone for even a good detail to bring back - but will probably try that first come spring.
Mitch, your car isn't that old. I think you would be surprised what a good polish can do. Here is the hood on my car. On the right: after just 5 min of polishing with a random orbit polisher with foam pad and 3M Machine Polish. On the right: before polishing. Notice all the spider webs, ugh! It was even worse in sunlight.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This is my before, I don't have so much spider webs and I do pot holes...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The after market process is not the same as the OEM. The bake temps are much higher at the factory, which yields a much stronger finish.
is there any way to avoid this besdies buying a pre-painted piece from volvo? because someone obviously repainted my front bumper and now little chips seem to appear out of nowhere and go all the way down to the plastic. very frustrating

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
is there any way to avoid this besdies buying a pre-painted piece from volvo? because someone obviously repainted my front bumper and now little chips seem to appear out of nowhere and go all the way down to the plastic. very frustrating
Yes, on the front bumper, if you repaint and then wrap with the 3M clear gaurd, it pretty much solves that issue. There isn't much difference in plastic pieces, like bumpers. The higher bake time at the factory is because the car is stripped of all plastic pieces... which would melt if they were all there. So I would think the bumpers being plastic would probably see the same controlled bake temp as if done in the outside world. I also lean towards that there are a few selected colors like blk and red that you could have shipped painted.

A few us do use the 3M clear gaurd to help the Elevate Custom bumper hold up better. I've used the clear gaurd for years on both the Evolve bumper and OEM bumper with no problems.

You can't see the 3M unless you really look for it.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I got my brand new MS3 repainted after having it for 4 days because some idiot didn't clean his dump truck trailer off. He was about 500ft in front of me in the right lane. I was in the left going ~80. He hit a big ass pothole (mass roads) and gravel plus clay dirt covered the road. Anyways, after $4300 later, I have brand new headlights ($900 each), brand new bumper, repainted roof, spoiler, hood, doors, etc... It looks quite amazing now but omg was I pissed. I only paid the deductible.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I got my brand new MS3 repainted after having it for 4 days because some idiot didn't clean his dump truck trailer off. He was about 500ft in front of me in the right lane. I was in the left going ~80. He hit a big ass pothole (mass roads) and gravel plus clay dirt covered the road. Anyways, after $4300 later, I have brand new headlights ($900 each), brand new bumper, repainted roof, spoiler, hood, doors, etc... It looks quite amazing now but omg was I pissed. I only paid the deductible.
Similar thing happened to me with my S60 T5. Huge spray of rocks from a truck of some sort. It was night time so couldn't tell exactly what was up but I definitely hear the damage. New paint for pretty much everything forward-facing, even the wiper arms. New headlights AND fog lights. Just paid deductible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts