SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So there I was knowing I had parked on a street that is cleared at rush hour (4pm, king street for zigger and LTA) and things took a little longer than I had thought they would, walking back to my car to my suprise, or well, disbelief that it actually happened it was gone, and I assumed towed.

Asked some speedy auto techs standing out smoking confirmed it, that "siren" that I thought was rather odd was the *%$* R's alarm

I should have known it was going to happen, for the tow truck driver it's an easy $94 bucks. So off I went for the impound lot.

The entire way there I was just imagining what could have, and did go wrong, and what had been destroyed, to my relief every car I saw go into the lot rode in on dollies.

I get in, turn the key and EVERY singal idiot light on the dash comes on, afraid that the worst had come true and the tow had infact screwed up some of the electrical bits on the R which seem to be all to finicky to begin with, I almost had a heart attack. Untill I realised that this was Volvo's way of making one realise that the alarm had gone off as the display box read "alarm triggered check car".

That dingy lot was home to some real nice cars, the R was inbetween a continental GT and an A8.

I guess you've gotta pay the price for your stupidity once in a while.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: The R had a visit to the Impound lot today (ibanezplayer)

Hmmm. Years ago parked on 6th ave in NYC while staying at the St. Moritz and blew the parking restriction.

Towed to Pier 76 on The West Side Highway, radio gone, contents pilfered, car dented (and we're not talking a ding), parking and towing fines due on receipt of car. Something to the tune of around $200 USD + cab-fare over to the West Side.

Plus a couple smug humps spouting this:

"Eh, that's the way it was when we towed it." "You want your car or not?"

You got off easy. I love NYC.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: The R had a visit to the Impound lot today (ibanezplayer)

Sorry to hear that. I am sure that it was put on a flatbed.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Re: (nikhsub1)

Quote, originally posted by nikhsub1 »
Thank your lucky stars that it was only $94 Canadian... here in LA, that would have been round $250 USD

... and here in Chicago, some cars have a mysterious habit of disappearing from the impound lot and appearing at chop shops...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Can't the way the car is put on the flatbed damage the car as well? I admit I read the manual quickly but I recall something about pulling the car via winches onto the flatbed will result in damage to the vehicle.

I thought that sucks b/c I have no clue short of getting a crane and hoisting the car up how a tow operator would get the car on the bed w/o damaging it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Mash)

Yep Manual clearly states flatbed only, but really, these guys, i'm suprised the looked over teh car before they towed it, and wrote down the front spoiler damage, kind of suprising. I know for a fact that they used dollies, but even then still not the best way.

What I posted above was a little misleading, the driver gets $94.00 from the city for the tow, me picking up the car not 5 minutes after it got there had to pay $107 to release it, another half hour or so and they'd start adding on the $24.00 holding fees, then ontop of the release fee there's still the $60 ticket

hey, c'est la vie.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Re: The R had a visit to the Impound lot today (StaggRLee)

Quote, originally posted by StaggRLee »
, radio gone, contents pilfered, car dented (and we're not talking a ding

Didn't you take them to court for the damage? That's an easy win here in California's small claim courts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Manual Says flatbed only but if you go to Haldex's website the center coupling doesn't engage unless the vehicle's engine speed is at a certain speed. So in theory AWD or any Haldex car can be towed by just two wheels

http://www.haldex-traction.com/default.htm

In Control, Regardless the Driving Situation
Controllability of the vehicle is an important promotional factor for All-Wheel-Drive. AWD provides enhanced road handling and is safer in all driving conditions.

Meeting these requirements, the Haldex LSC offers fully controllable torque transfer characteristics and extremely rapid activation and deactivation - automatically.

Maximum performance and safety is achieved in all driving situations, as shown here:

Parking
Low or zero torque transfer enables easy and comfortable manoeuvring in parking situations.

Acceleration
High torque transfer for maximum traction, instantly, on all four wheels.

Driving on slippery/
wet roads
Swift activation of the coupling for maximum traction and safety depending on the slip of the wheels. The coupling communicates on-line with other safety systems in the vehicle.

Different tyre wear and pressure conditions
An algorithm in the ECU detects differences in the diameters of the tyres and compensates the characteristics accordingly.

Braking/ABS
ABS braking overrules the coupling to ensure full function of the ABS system.

Brake testing
Coupling is not activated until a preset engine speed is exceeded. This means that the coupling is not activated, even if the ignition is on.

Towing
Coupling is not activated until a preset engine speed is exceeded. The ignition can be on for lights etc. Towing with one axle lifted is not a problem.

ESP
Immediate deactivation on ESP signal to ensure full function of the ESP system. An alternative is to communicate with the ESP system to add the control possibility of the Haldex LSC to the ESP system.

Run-flat-tyre
Maintained traction capability and secured against damage.

Off-road
Instant activation with high torque transfer for maximum traction. Alternative, separate off-road mode (switch) to lock the coupling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts