SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6 days of ownership :
The low brake fluid light came on the other night.
I drove my other car to work the next morning. When I got home I tried to back the R out of the garage to look at it, and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor.

I'm assuming it's a bad master cylinder or something
So now my car is stuck in 1st gear and stuck in the garage. How can I move it? :confused:

This might sound like a dumb question but I've never had a manually tranny car that broke down. Can they even tow a car thats in gear w/o damaging it?

I'd appreciate any help u can give

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
You have unfortunately experienced a clutch slave cylinder failure. Hopefully the failure didn't leak brake fluids all over the clutch and flywheel either (otherwise you'll need to replace those, too).

Put the car in neutral with the key out of the ignition switch. You'll need to get her towed...

Replace the angle gear collar sleeve gear while you're at it. Let me know if I can help with parts, recommend a local indy, etc.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sorry to hear. I caught my slave failing early luckily.

Take George's advice and help as he is in your area.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Rock it back and forth while trying to pull it out of gear. I assume that your car is sitting on an incline and there is pressure on gears inside transmission.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hmm, what are/were the signs of it failing?
Check the bottom of your transmission, where it connects to the engine. You will find your brake fluid leak there.
Where did you buy it? Any warranty?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
It should still come out of gear, even if the slave failed. try rocking the car back and forth a little to pop it out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did you buy it? Any warranty?
A dealership in RI. It's got a 30 day warranty. Of course now the dealership isnt really returning phone calls and giving noncommittal answers. I live like 90 miles away from the dealer tho...

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I would push for a new clutch and inspection of the flywheel if under warranty. Typically the partial engaged clutch burns up the pressure plate... depending on the length of time it was running.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Wow, yeah that sucks. Symptoms of a failing slave include low brake fluid warnings, a clutch that sticks to the floor, and squealing from the clutch (most of the time on start up).

Definitely take it back to the dealer, this is easily a $2k repair because of labor and the fact that it often ruins the clutch and flywheel. Don't let them give you crap about it being a "wear item" either, because it's not.

The good news is, you get a new clutch, a chance to swap in a single-mass flywheel if you want, and the slave rarely fails again! Take George's advice and have them look at the angle gear collar as well, since if that fails (no AWD), it's another $2kish repair and easy to replace while they are in there if it needs it (if it looks stripped).

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
And don't get discouraged! If you get the dealer to handle this, you have taken care of the two major repairs that every R owner dreads and should be good for tens of thousands of miles (if not the rest of the car's life).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And don't get discouraged! If you get the dealer to handle this, you have taken care of the two major repairs that every R owner dreads and should be good for tens of thousands of miles (if not the rest of the car's life).
:D Thanks. The R only has 60k on it. Doesn't that seem premature for slave failure? Or could the fact that it wasn't driven much contribute to the issue?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
:D Thanks. The R only has 60k on it. Doesn't that seem premature for slave failure? Or could the fact that it wasn't driven much contribute to the issue?
You really shouldn't care other than to use it to get them to do the repair. The timing is perfect for you! Take advantage and do any clutch and angle gear related upgrades now while they have it opened up. The warranty will take care of most of the labor costs that would normally come up at some point soon anyway. And for most R owners these expenses come out of their pockets. Essentially you're being subsidized. Just take it, say thank you and run with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts