SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Glad you guys got it figured out. Platinum is such a great color, the car looks great!

And you got to see Robert too

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
Glad you got it back on the road.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Glad you guys got it figured out. Platinum is such a great color, the car looks great!

And you got to see Robert too

Thanks!
I kept the M66 slave/TO bearing to use in the sonic VR (someday).
Red, white and blue!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Any pics of the rear R brake install?

Trying to sort out orientation, etc of the brackets.

You also had to move your brake hose bracket for the front brakes, correct? Using a couple factory-length aftermarket lines, and it looks like they're going to be too short.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I couldn’t find any pictures of the rear caliper install although I remember it being a pretty straight forward job. The calipers are moved up. You will need to bend the rear brake lines a little to get them to fit the caliper. In addition, you will need to trim part of the backing plate to clear the caliper.

And yes, we had to move the bracket for the front flex line connection as the hoses were too short to reach the calipers. We installed new braided stainless steel flex lines (from FCP) but could not find any that were longer than the stock rubber ones. I had to revise the first relocation position because I found the flex line was rubbing on the axle once the suspension was compressed to normal ride height.

Sorry but I can’t find a better picture of the bracket relocation. I’ll try to get a better pic next time the wheels are off.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thanks for that info. I actually saw one of the pics of the car from earlier in the thread that helped me with the new caliper location. The dust shield trimming was evident after that point.

Did you run into any issues with the parking brake shoes? As mentioned in my build thread, when I tried to bolt down a rotor for test fitment (Brembo), it contacted the parking brake shoes and bound everything up. Looking at some info online, the P80 and P2 shoes are similar in diameter and width, so my theory about the P2 pads being narrower was busted.

Since it's not a mission critical part, I was thinking of just removing the shoes, and putting a bevel on them on the outboard edge to give me some clearance.

You picture of the front brake hose bracket was about where I was looking to move mine. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
The low coolant light came back on. It took a while to find but finally traced it to one of the heater core hoses. I know... I should have replaced them when I replaced the heater core coupling during the engine swap. Replaced both with new oem hoses.

Hose cut right where it was clamped. Hoses were old. Maybe original?

New parts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Nice. Those hoses are such a pain to get to. I just finally replaced the smaller one the other day.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Jake picked up some seats from a ‘00 V70R (I think?). I thought it would be an easy swap. While it wasn’t too difficult it did come with a few challenges.
The new (used) seats

The first being that the seatbelts will not directly bolt up.
The 850 seatbelt mount

The V70 seatbelt mount

I drilled out the rivet holding the bracket to the 850 seat frame

Bolt the 850 bracket to the V70 frame

Bolt the seats back in the car

The second challenge was making them move. The driver’s seat functions normally after plugging in the 2 plugs from the 850 harness but the passenger seat does not. There are 2 additional plugs in both seats that that have no mates. I understand the sips bag is triggered differently on the newer cars so that is probably one of the sockets. What is the second socket for? The seat switch plug on the driver’s seat looks the same as the 850 switch however the passenger seat switch is not.
Pic of driver’s seat plugs

Pics of passenger seat plugs

Has anyone here performed this swap? What modifications do I need to do to get the passenger seat to move?

We have the rear seats also. These will require swapping the skins as they are from a wagon going into a sedan. This will be a project for another weekend. Any helpful hints on this job as well?

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Grey is seat belt sensor green is SIPS bag

I think the easiest solution here might be to swap it all onto -98 seat frames.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not sure if you've seen this (Or are in the "Volvo 850, T5, T-5R, 850R and Turbo group" on FB), but it looks like someone has copied your son's brake bracket design and is selling them.
HERE

Up for sale are the highly sought after caliper adapters designed by Duncan Cassidy to fit the P2R Brembo front calipers to the 850. I currently have 2 sets ready to go now with discussions for a possible 5 to 10 more sets to be made. The 2 current sets come with the bolts and brake lines but the next lot will be adapters by themselves for the same price. $600 Australian dollars is $430 US and £335 plus freight so send a message if you're after a set and it will be done as first come first serve.
They look just like your son's design.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Not sure if you've seen this (Or are in the "Volvo 850, T5, T-5R, 850R and Turbo group" on FB), but it looks like someone has copied your son's brake bracket design and is selling them.
HERE

They look just like your son's design.
Someone had a pair of those brackets at Carlisle last year. I asked what the story was and was told they were made by Duncan Cassidy. That predates the post in this thread from the following September, although the drawing is dated 2019-03-26. There are also some subtle differences if you look closely.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Someone had a pair of those brackets at Carlisle last year. I asked what the story was and was told they were made by Duncan Cassidy. That predates the post in this thread from the following September, although the drawing is dated 2019-03-26. There are also some subtle differences if you look closely.
The only difference I see in the pics is these have counter-sunk bolts for the calipers, which was already discussed as being done after-the-fact on the set in this thread (Or in my thread on my build) because of interference issues.
In that case, they look the same to me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Duncan Cassidy’s brackets were the inspiration for my son Jake’s design. Jake still had to do the work of mocking up, measuring, and drawing the the plans, however Duncan deserves the credit for the design. This (along with the amount of modifications needed to the knuckles) is the reason why he has been reluctant to sell/share his cad files. It wouldn’t be fair to Duncan.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Duncan Cassidy’s brackets were the inspiration for my son Jake’s design. Jake still had to do the work of mocking up, measuring, and drawing the the plans, however Duncan deserves the credit for the design. This (along with the amount of modifications needed to the knuckles) is the reason why he has been reluctant to sell/share his cad files. It wouldn’t be fair to Duncan.
Well that clears that up. :)

I followed along in theory, just not in execution. Been happy with my version, so far. (Especially seeing as I paid maybe a 1/4 what is being asked for the Cassidy version).

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
I followed along in theory, just not in execution. Been happy with my version, so far. (Especially seeing as I paid maybe a 1/4 what is being asked for the Cassidy version).
There's a huge rarity premium built up around the Cassidy brackets by the people who have no idea how to make stuff on their own.

·
Registered
707 Posts
There's a huge rarity premium built up around the Cassidy brackets by the people who have no idea how to make stuff on their own.
That's typical with a lot of stuff, really. A lot of people don't take the time or initiative to learn anything new.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts