SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #62
I almost forgot about some minor cosmetic changes you might have noticed in the last post鈥檚 pictures.
We installed e-code headlight lenses, clear front parking/turn signal assemblies, and a egg-crate grill. The Volvo slash is from a XC90 that I picked from the junkyard.
Jake took the car to a few Cars and Coffee events in the spring. It was fun showing off the hard work that went into the build although most of it goes unnoticed. It鈥檚 a compliment in a way as it doesn鈥檛 look radically modified but instead looks like it could have come from Sweden this way. The Volvo enthusiasts will notice, however most of the time it was the only Volvo at the show.

May 2019 Cars and Coffee Grand Rapids, MI

Photos from DMD Photographic

June 2019 Cars and Coffee M1 Concourse, Pontiac MI

June 2019 Cars and Coffee Grand Rapids, MI

Photo from DMD Photographic

Jake also got a euro plate with the same letters/numbers as his regular tag. In addition, he put the proper registration sticker on the plate. Technically it鈥檚 not legal to the letter of the law but he has the original plate in the car if he gets stopped.

Registered
Jake also got a euro plate with the same letters/numbers as his regular tag. In addition, he put the proper registration sticker on the plate. Technically it鈥檚 not legal to the letter of the law but he has the original plate in the car if he gets stopped.
Wow, around here you would be ticketed immediately. The city/state needs it's revenue!

Registered
Yeah I'm also really surprised that plate is working. I don't think that would fly in MA either. Please report back on how that works out if he ever gets pulled over lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
This damaged R front bumper was on the car when we bought it back in 2015. I took it off shortly thereafter and replaced it with a stock front bumper that we got for free (it just needed painting). I put it in the attic with the idea that someday we would repair it and reinstall it on the Platinum.
Finally the car was worthy.
I sanded the old/chipped paint off until the bumper was smooth. I bought a cheap plastic welder from Harbor Freight and attempted to repair the cracks. I failed miserably and quickly learned that I鈥檓 not a body man. I had a friend who has a mobile touch-up/bumper repair business fix the bumper and then had a local bodyshop spray the tri-coat platinum paint for me.

Registered
That platinum color looks so delicious.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Registered
Wow I've been SLEEPING on this thread! Phenomenal job on the car from the last couple posts, I'll have to read through the whole build after finals because it looks like you've done an amazing job. I've been thinking of doing brembos on my 850R, do you still have a .stp file or part file for those front brembo adapters? I'd love to get my hands on those if you're willing

Registered
Phase 2:
The rear caliper brackets were sourced from IPD.
From your post on the brake upgrade.

What rear brackets were sourced from IPD? Didn't see anything in a quick scan under either application.

(EDIT- I might also be interested in the part file for those front adapters, if you're willing to share.)

Registered
From your post on the brake upgrade.

What brackets were sourced from IPD? Didn't see anything in a quick scan under either application.

(EDIT- I might also be interested in the part file for those front adapters, if you're willing to share.)
I've been digging around, haven't found any front brackets for brembos but found this from Yother's website https://yother.com/collections/brakes

Registered
Discussion Starter #70
Sorry guys, my mistake. The rear brackets came from Yother鈥檚 not IPD.
The front brackets weren鈥檛 exactly plug and play. There are some modifications needed to the knuckle such as cutting off the steering stops and installing the time-serts. In addition, I had to trim off the steering stop pads from the front control arms to clear the brackets. I don鈥檛 know if we want the liability if something goes wrong but I will ask Jake if he would be willing to share the design (for a small fee possibly).

Registered
Discussion Starter #71

Registered

Registered
The front brackets weren鈥檛 exactly plug and play. There are some modifications needed to the knuckle such as cutting off the steering stops and installing the time-serts. In addition, I had to trim off the steering stop pads from the front control arms to clear the brackets. I don鈥檛 know if we want the liability if something goes wrong but I will ask Jake if he would be willing to share the design (for a small fee possibly).
I guess just see what he says. I've done several custom brake swaps on other vehicles before, so I'm not overly concerned. Just trying to save a little legwork. :) I'd gladly pay a fee for the design. I've paid (and charged) for similar things in the past.

Registered
Discussion Starter #74
Another part we kept from the Ghettolvo was the steering wheel. Installation required slight modification. The horn contact was removed from the original wheel and installed in a carefully drilled hole in the S60R steering wheel. In addition, I had to grind off a bit from the hub on the back side of the wheel to close the gap with the steering column trim. The airbag plugged into the existing wiring. Sadly the radio and cruise control buttons do not work but the thicker rim and slightly smaller diameter really feel good in your hands.

S60R + 850 turbo = S850R

Registered
The DOT 850 wheel is so bad. I managed to score original ECE wheels for both of my 850s. So much better. I should compare the diameter to my S60's wheel sometime.

Registered
Another part we kept from the Ghettolvo was the steering wheel. Installation required slight modification. The horn contact was removed from the original wheel and installed in a carefully drilled hole in the S60R steering wheel. In addition, I had to grind off a bit from the hub on the back side of the wheel to close the gap with the steering column trim. The airbag plugged into the existing wiring. Sadly the radio and cruise control buttons do not work but the thicker rim and slightly smaller diameter really feel good in your hands.

S60R + 850 turbo = S850R

Looks great! I dream of steering wheel control buttons in a p80 lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #77
It鈥檚 funny how you can live with things like a saggy headliner for years. However, once you fix up a few other items and take it to a couple car shows these things start to bug you.
I bought a couple yards of Moleskin, Faux Suede from the local Field鈥檚 Fabric store. It鈥檚 sometimes called microsuede and it was only about $10 per yard. Unlike the tailgate on the wagon, the headliner comes out the passenger side front door on the sedan. You need to recline both of the front seats and angle the headliner so the passenger side of the headliner is at the top/back side of the door opening and the driver鈥檚 side is at the bottom/front. The old fabric was stripped off and the headliner was cleaned with a wire brush. We used a can of 3M Headliner and Fabric Adhesive to stick the faux suede to the original panel. We also used fabric spray paint on the sunroof trim and the clips that secure the headliner near the back window. The grab handles and visors will get the same treatment eventually.
Overall, I鈥檓 happy with the way it tuned out. It has the look of Alcantara but is much cheaper and simpler to install. The stretch of the microsuede makes it much easier to follow the contours of the headliner.

Registered
Looks good. I just used the standard headliner fabric when I did my 854.

I took my headliner out the trunk, though.

Removing the side trunk panels gives just enough room to get it through.

Registered
Discussion Starter #79
August 2019 Cars and Coffee Grand Rapids, MI

German Auto European Car Show August 2019

Northern Worthersee September 2019, Frankenmuth MI

I trimmed and installed the P2 injector rail cover. Should be good for +5hp

The Platinum with our 鈥95 N/A 854

Registered
Such a nice car and that color!

61 - 80 of 117 Posts