The M56 uses a completely different mounting system when in the S40. Luckily the transmission case still had the threaded holes to bolt on the P80 trans bracket and mount. I just had to clean/chase the threads in the case and swap the bracket from the original automatic transmission.
I had a brain fart and forgot to replace the engine mount bracket for the motor mount at the front subframe. This skews the engine and will not let the block bolt to the mount on the passenger side of the subframe. So I made another trip to the junkyard only to find the bracket was already gone from my favorite V70 donor car. The salvage yard had several other P80s but all were pre-‘99. I felt like I was making good progress and didn’t want this to slow me down so I drilled out the top hole on the N engine bracket and bolted it to the block as a temporary fix until I could source the correct bracket. I replaced all of the engine mounts including the lower torque mount with new OEM parts. I think it was about 4 or 5 anxious weeks before a ‘99 XC70 showed up at the yard to donate it’s bracket. There were, however, plenty of things to do in the meantime.
The wrong bracket
The temporary bracket
Make sure to “clock” the knock sensors and torque to 15ft lb. Over tightening can damage the sensors.