Registered
668 Posts
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Your ignorance makes me ill ..."
Hopefully you will evolve past it, like David McCallum did shortly after this scene.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Statement followed by a long stare....................and loud tunes..............works best.

P

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr P -- Hoping you would post. This GOOD NATURED jest at BMW owners was prompted by your survey from the home country (the UK) that showed BMW owners at the top of a bad driver list. Funny YouTube video too. Kept waiting for something to happen.

Tommm--I forget if you're a BMW owner or not, but I'm not trying to make a nasty statement. I've seen several car reviewers who, when they talk about the joy of driving, say something great about a BMW.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know that there are several ex BMW drivers on here, that would quickly go back to BMW if BMW could even come close to the dependability of a 01 XC70 or T6 XC90. I would strongly encourage anybody who has not had the chance to, find a friend with an older BMW and go for a long drive. I am sure that there are vehicles that are more of a pleasure to drive, but I have yet to drive one. I enjoy driving the XC90, but I miss driving my 98 750iL.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,286 Posts
I've always alternated between BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes with the occasional Japanese interloper.

I would say that my favorites would be the GL's (especially the diesels), then the X5M, then the X6 and the XC90 V8.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mr P -- Hoping you would post. This GOOD NATURED jest at BMW owners was prompted by your survey from the home country (the UK) that showed BMW owners at the top of a bad driver list. Funny YouTube video too. Kept waiting for something to happen.

Tommm--I forget if you're a BMW owner or not, but I'm not trying to make a nasty statement. I've seen several car reviewers who, when they talk about the joy of driving, say something great about a BMW.
Hey Tostik, I hear ya, we're ALWAYS good natured compared to the BMW guys, er "to" the BMW guys.
It sure is not uncommon to hear them lament the passing of the 740IL, as it was a fine car mechanically and it looked great too.
It was a better car without the aluminium block with Nikasil plated cylinder bores, because if there was a flaw there, the motor was junked.
I parked next to one for years, always admired it. The series ran from 1994 to 2001, and then in my mind it was "over" at BMW.

The "old school" autobahn bruiser was replaced with a car that did not live up to the one it replaced, nor did it live up to many expectations.
How do I know this? I work with the guy i parked next to for those years, and I am still hearing about it today, he is presently leasing a BMW because he thinks he should.

I told him his ignorance makes me ill and angry, but he just looked like he didn't understand, but hey he doesn't know what toe & heeling is nor does he know what to do if the place setting has more than one fork.

Angry BMW driver thread
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?181294-The-myth-of-the-slow-3.2-volvo-XC90-PART-A&p=1996952&viewfull=1#post1996952

Regards,

P

·
Registered
668 Posts
P I agree completely with what you said, the 94 to 01 7 series is called the E38 and it was the last great BMW.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hey Tostik, I hear ya, we're ALWAYS good natured compared to the BMW guys, er "to" the BMW guys.
It sure is not uncommon to hear them lament the passing of the 740IL, as it was a fine car mechanically and it looked great too.
It was a better car without the aluminium block with Nikasil plated cylinder bores, because if there was a flaw there, the motor was junked.
I parked next to one for years, always admired it. The series ran from 1994 to 2001, and then in my mind it was "over" at BMW.

The "old school" autobahn bruiser was replaced with a car that did not live up to the one it replaced, nor did it live up to many expectations.
How do I know this? I work with the guy i parked next to for those years, and I am still hearing about it today, he is presently leasing a BMW because he thinks he should.

I told him his ignorance makes me ill and angry, but he just looked like he didn't understand, but hey he doesn't know what toe & heeling is nor does he know what to do if the place setting has more than one fork.

Angry BMW driver thread
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?181294-The-myth-of-the-slow-3.2-volvo-XC90-PART-A&p=1996952&viewfull=1#post1996952

Regards,

P
Your post about angry BMW owners was hilarious. But I can't speak as to how well BMWs drive, or how comfortable the Mercedes ride is, since, before becoming a Volvo owner, I had only owned BIG Chevy's and Fords (SUVs in later years). Then I drove an 850, and thought, this is a fun car to drive. I wasn't sure exactly why---it just was. I've since become a three Volvo owner. (And I've found a fantastic Volvo mechanic in my area, which only seals the deal on Volvo ownership.) Some people have said BMWs are more fun to drive, and Mercedes have a more comfortable ride, but I just can't imagine how. My fun-driving and comfort meter are pegged out in my XC90 (and my other Volvos). And Volvos don't have the bloated price tags of German luxury cars.

Also, the British professional race car driver, and former co-host on the BBC's TopGear program, Tiff Needell, just recently rated the S60 as better driving car than the BMW 3 series. Some people say he's on the Volvo payroll, but still, the driving experience would have to be very close indeed for him to say that and remain creditable. And the rumor is that Volvo CEO Jacoby, who is a German, is out to challenge Mercedes and BMW in the areas that there cars are best known for, and still keep Volvo as a less expensive alternative.

Here's Tiff doing some comparing:

·
Registered
668 Posts
And the rumor is that Volvo CEO Jacoby, who is a German, is out to challenge Mercedes and BMW in the areas that there cars are best known for, and still keep Volvo as a less expensive alternative.
I hope that volvo can pull it off, and for me the priorities are safety, longevity, ride/handling, and finally cost.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope that volvo can pull it off, and for me the priorities are safety, longevity, ride/handling, and finally cost.
I hope he can too. I agree with your priority list, but I noticed you left reliability off. I think that most car brands are reliable enough these days, that to get a bad car is just to get an unlucky outlier. Then there's the funny remark Jeremy Clarkson (of BBC TopGear) made when comparing the perennial reliability champion, Toyota, with European car brands. He said, "Buying a car because it's reliable is like marrying someone because they're punctual. Don't you need something more?" Hilarious! Sure, a decent level of reliability is important, but it's not #1 on my priority list either.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Your post about angry BMW owners was hilarious. But I can't speak as to how well BMWs drive, or how comfortable the Mercedes ride is, since, before becoming a Volvo owner, I had only owned BIG Chevy's and Fords (SUVs in later years). Then I drove an 850, and thought, this is a fun car to drive. I wasn't sure exactly why---it just was. I've since become a three Volvo owner. (And I've found a fantastic Volvo mechanic in my area, which only seals the deal on Volvo ownership.) Some people have said BMWs are more fun to drive, and Mercedes have a more comfortable ride, but I just can't imagine how. My fun-driving and comfort meter are pegged out in my XC90 (and my other Volvos). And Volvos don't have the bloated price tags of German luxury cars.

Also, the British professional race car driver, and former co-host on the BBC's TopGear program, Tiff Needell, just recently rated the S60 as better driving car than the BMW 3 series. Some people say he's on the Volvo payroll, but still, the driving experience would have to be very close indeed for him to say that and remain creditable. And the rumor is that Volvo CEO Jacoby, who is a German, is out to challenge Mercedes and BMW in the areas that there cars are best known for, and still keep Volvo as a less expensive alternative.

Here's Tiff doing some comparing:

well that explains it. like a virgin teaching the facts of life.

if you were local and if you know how to drive a manual i would toss you the keys to my current bmw so you can feel the difference.

as for price, how much less is a S60r than a 330XI?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

if you were local and if you know how to drive a manual i would toss you the keys to my current bmw so you can feel the difference.

Just poking a little fun at the air of superiority that often comes through with BMW drivers. I've never pretended to teach anybody anything. Several of my posts have said that I can't IMAGINE that BMWs drive significantly better than Volvos, indicating I really don't know. I've also said my fun and comfort meter is "pegged-out" with my Volvos, indicating I had no interest in going to the "next level" with BWM or Mercedes. Notice I accept what others have said about BMWs and Mercedes.

And everything I've seen shows BMWs and Mercedes are more expensive than Volvos, sometimes significantly so.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts

I do know how to drive a manual, probably much longer than you...I can feel the difference...but...

Going back to the point...I also no MANY BMW owners of both genders that do NOT know how to drive. (period)...but consider themselves capable to win the next Grand Prix, and thus are significantly more rude and dangerous on the road...

As to the price - S60R was about $2K less than a comparable 335xi (no 330 back then), but...the S60R was still a legit young family sedan with the usable back seat and decent size trunk...335xi on other side...I think I do not need to educate you on that...

http://autos.msn.com/research/compa...0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t103558&v=t104876

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do know how to drive a manual, probably much longer than you...I can feel the difference...but...

Going back to the point...I also no MANY BMW owners of both genders that do NOT know how to drive. (period)...but consider themselves capable to win the next Grand Prix, and thus are significantly more rude and dangerous on the road...

As to the price - S60R was about $2K less than a comparable 335xi (no 330 back then), but...the S60R was still a legit young family sedan with the usable back seat and decent size trunk...335xi on other side...I think I do not need to educate you on that...

http://autos.msn.com/research/compa...0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t103558&v=t104876
I think that the S60r must be getting very competitive with the 335xi, which is why the price range is getting close. Either BMW price increases are less than they would have been, or Volvo is more, or both. Competition is great. And, yes, there is the utility question, and Volvo almost always wins that comparison. Personally, I need utility.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I hope he can too. I agree with your priority list, but I noticed you left reliability off. I think that most car brands are reliable enough these days, that to get a bad car is just to get an unlucky outlier. Then there's the funny remark Jeremy Clarkson (of BBC TopGear) made when comparing the perennial reliability champion, Toyota, with European car brands. He said, "Buying a car because it's reliable is like marrying someone because they're punctual. Don't you need something more?" Hilarious! Sure, a decent level of reliability is important, but it's not #1 on my priority list either.
I lumped longevity in with reliability. I have never had a BMW strand me, but I have had a lot of "features" break very early in the the car's life.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
i tracked my M3 regularly... with 185k on the clock and a clutch with at least 85k on it. not much different than many 944s I know of.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts