SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
well its nice to hear its coming to android auto, but too bad volvo doesn't have this
It will in 2016 from what was posted here.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm on a few other forums including the Chevy Volt Forum. Android Auto is delayed until early Spring at the moment on the Volt (which seems to be pretty typical for most of the automakers and AA). Apple Carplay was available at launch in October for the Volt (whole car was delayed a month). Interesting reading the various Carplay reviews on both forums - many of the problems are similar suggesting the issues are as much with Apple as any of the manufacturers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm on a few other forums including the Chevy Volt Forum. Android Auto is delayed until early Spring at the moment on the Volt (which seems to be pretty typical for most of the automakers and AA). Apple Carplay was available at launch in October for the Volt (whole car was delayed a month). Interesting reading the various Carplay reviews on both forums - many of the problems are similar suggesting the issues are as much with Apple as any of the manufacturers.
I think the problems are really around what users' expectations are for CarPlay - it's a version 1.0 software product. Apple is very well known to be conservative about features in 1.0 of everything, instead focusing on making it work and adding much more later. This has been true of everything they've created since the first iPhone...but still seems to be missed by the general public when they run out to get the next great thing Apple makes. As far as CarPlay goes, I expect that in a couple of years it will do what everyone wants - and may do it a little later than Android Auto, but will likely do it more smoothly.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Do you choose either Android or Carplay when you order the car? does it have both?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think the problems are really around what users' expectations are for CarPlay - it's a version 1.0 software product. Apple is very well known to be conservative about features in 1.0 of everything, instead focusing on making it work and adding much more later. This has been true of everything they've created since the first iPhone...but still seems to be missed by the general public when they run out to get the next great thing Apple makes. As far as CarPlay goes, I expect that in a couple of years it will do what everyone wants - and may do it a little later than Android Auto, but will likely do it more smoothly.
CarPlay has been on the market for almost 2 years. It took a long time to start showing up in factory-spec'ed cars but you could get it by upgrading to after market Pioneer and Alpine dash systems for a while now. Also, Apple announced that with iOS9 they had revised CarPlay functionality. They have not publicly referenced version #'s with CarPlay -- the spec is provided under NDA and only if you have a reason to have it. But the announcement of new features would suggest it is effective a 2.0 or at least a major 1.X update.

·
Registered
175 Posts
CarPlay has been on the market for almost 2 years. It took a long time to start showing up in factory-spec'ed cars but you could get it by upgrading to after market Pioneer and Alpine dash systems for a while now. Also, Apple announced that with iOS9 they had revised CarPlay functionality. They have not publicly referenced version #'s with CarPlay -- the spec is provided under NDA and only if you have a reason to have it. But the announcement of new features would suggest it is effective a 2.0 or at least a major 1.X update.
CarPlay has absolutely not been on the market for two years. It was soft launched in March 2014, first appeared in a Ferrari in September 2014, and has since seen major delays from virtually every manufacturer after that. You could consider that a 0.9 version from what I understand, and it will progress very slowly until most manufacturers adapt the new resizable window. There is absolutely no way you could call this a 2.0 version but possibly a 1.1/1.2 at best, with 1.1 being the multiple resolution and shape additions - however, I would say that is when the true 1.0 version launched, with iOS 9.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I just saw somewhere that Mercedes-Benz is charging $350 for standalone CarPlay functionality for certain models, and in $3,5K media pkg for other models.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
CarPlay has absolutely not been on the market for two years. It was soft launched in March 2014, first appeared in a Ferrari in September 2014, and has since seen major delays from virtually every manufacturer after that. You could consider that a 0.9 version from what I understand, and it will progress very slowly until most manufacturers adapt the new resizable window. There is absolutely no way you could call this a 2.0 version but possibly a 1.1/1.2 at best, with 1.1 being the multiple resolution and shape additions - however, I would say that is when the true 1.0 version launched, with iOS 9.
Okay 15 months, not "almost 2 years." It was announced 2.5 years ago. I wasn't looking it up and knew it had been sometime early than now in 2014. It showed up in the after-market Pioneers at the same time as the Ferrari and Alpine followed. That's still a long time. We're really arguing over nothing though -- it's just semantics. You can call it version 0.9 I guess, but generally Apple doesn't sell Beta products to consumers like some other brands and the bottom line is it's been a consumer-available product available at a cost to users for 15 months, and they announced a major "upgrade" of the product with iOS 9, including a huge up-tick in features like the ability to use it via Bluetooth and the ability for CarPlay to control car-specific functions like your radio, AC, diagnostics, etc. -- all features that didn't make it into the Volvo version.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not really arguing here, we're pretty much agreeing that the coming functionality is far more robust but it's moving slowly. This is not standard Apple stuff though, it's difficult to find a good analogy with other Apple products here but the closest examples are WatchOS and iOS 1.0. Both severely lacked features.

If you're counting the time that it was called iOS in car or whatever, I think there was an evolution of design philosophies from those days before they even had a proof of concept going.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I just saw somewhere that Mercedes-Benz is charging $350 for standalone CarPlay functionality for certain models, and in $3,5K media pkg for other models.
It's included at no extra cost for many models equipped with the company’s COMAND Navigation system. The bad news is that it will be an extra cost option for CLA, GLA and B-Class models; the necessary COMAND packages on other models aren’t cheap; and – very disappointingly – it won’t play nicely with COMAND.

Details on MB, cost and CarPlay here: http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/11/mercedes-carplay-2016/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts