SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, we just brought this home today.

As far as I know, all of the "standard" turbos for '97 were badged as "T-5".

It's got just over 180K on it, with a working odometer, which is less than both the current cars we have. It needs a few mechanical things addressed, but ran well for the almost 200 mile drive home.

I also just realized that it has the add-on fog factory fogs. Didn't even notice earlier.

The plan is to merge this with my 96 GLT NA manual car (which is mechanically sound...just un-turboed) and make a turbo manual car, with the grey interior.

·
Registered
17,681 Posts
Nice score, and excellent plan! Should be a fun project.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking forward to it.

Gotta drive the '96 on a trip next month, but after that, it's on!

Going to mess around under the hood and take care of some cleaning and maintenance and get a plan together. Timing belt was done less than 20K ago, so that's a plus.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Nice car - always loved that shade of green!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So, I've been busy with house stuff and getting the 240 running again, but I got tired of tripping over the new exhaust in the garage, so I went to install it today.

It's ab OBX 3" DP mated to a Maximizer DP-back set-up.

Luckily, the O2 sensors came out without much fuss and the flange nuts all came loose with no drama.

In addition to the flex pipe starting to come apart, this tiny section had been stuck in there at some point.

The only thing I don't like is how far the tip sticks out. I actually like the oval, however.
When my welder is back up and running, I'm going to cut this off and tuck it in a bit more.

Doesn't sound too bad, so far.

Aside from the exhaust, it got new spark plugs (the old ones were BAD) and a new fuel filter. Those really aren't picture worthy, however. :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oh, and I forgot a shot of it with the Arrakis on it, from a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
NICE!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Exhaust buddies!

I'm running the Maximizer too. I kinda got used to the ricer tip sticking out too much lol.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, since I was able to get this done last weekend (And get the temporary welder outlet in place)

I was able to get rid of this

and make it look like this

Looks much better with the couple inches chopped off of it.

Still working through all the things and trying to find time to get all the useful stuff off of the 96 GLT.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, 3 days after my last post, our baby was born. Project time has been a little limited due to baby time, and the fact that it was cyclocross season until a couple weeks ago.

I was able to get the old '96 GLT stripped and gone, but was then left trying to figure out where to store all of the grey interior stuff I pulled from it. I bit the bullet this weekend and got everything (but the dash) swapped this weekend. Also replaced the heater core, which apparently was leaking a bit.

(Don't mind the winter wheels...)

I didn't do the dash yet, as I need to swap the wiring harness,etc from one dash to a nearly perfect earlier dash I have waiting in the garage. I'll deal with the mis-match for now, as I'm glad to not be tripping over all of these parts that were cluttering up the garage.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
When they installed my exhaust my tip was out about an inch. I asked to have it moved to level and he said he couldn't. Burned myself within a month, took it back and he moved it back. About 1/4" sticks out. Not bad.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So, things have been busy, and the car has just been very solid transportation since the last post.

When we last left the T5, I had swapped in MOST of the grey interior from the old '96 GLT. All that is left is the dash, itself.

A while back, the wife and I grabbed a "good" dash from a base '95 in the yard. It's got a couple things I need to repair, but it's in much better shape than the one I pulled from the '96.

The only issue was that the wiring harnesses are different.

So...

I removed the harness from the '96 dash and rewrapped it in good "friction" tape and set to swapping it into the new dash.

Still need to test/replace all of the bulbs in the dash switches and find a good day to make the swap, but this part is done.

Two quick questions:

1. What is that box/module on the left side of the pic (would be in the outer PS of the dash)
2. The vent temp sensors for the ECC are the same between the pre-96 vs the 96-97, correct?

·
Registered
17,681 Posts
Two quick questions:

1. What is that box/module on the left side of the pic (would be in the outer PS of the dash)
2. The vent temp sensors for the ECC are the same between the pre-96 vs the 96-97, correct?
1. Does it have a part number?
2. Cross reference part numbers to verify. I know there were three different harnesses in MY95 and I'm not sure if that had any impact on the dash components.

Also you can replace the bulbs in the dash switches super easily in the car. They just pop out. I use 14v bulbs so they don't burn out as quickly.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also you can replace the bulbs in the dash switches super easily in the car. They just pop out. I use 14v bulbs so they don't burn out as quickly.
Yeah, I have the bulbs and a bunch of extra holders, etc. Just haven't gotten around to do it yet. The wife's car needs half of them replaced, as well as half the cluster illumination lights, as well as 1 or 2 of the ECC bulbs...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well, since the wife's '97 GLT is on borrowed time with the headgasket leak, I have her drive my car if she has to go outside of the city limits. Figure that's better while I'm getting the RN replacement ready for her car. I'd rather not have to pay for a tow from someplace an hour away in the sticks.

Anyway, she was driving it today, visiting family out in the sticks, and winds up playing "Dodge the Deer".

Deer #1 made it across the road. Deer #2 stuck its head out and she tagged it with the DS corner of the car. Result: Dead deer and broken stuff.

I dug what I had in the garage out to replace what I could, and made a quick attempt at straightening the hood and fender. The headlight housing was completely shattered. I had some parts from my '96 GLT I scrapped this past fall.

Still need to mess with it when I get a moment, but it straightened better than I thought. I can probably get most of that out of there.

I'm still stuck with needing a replacement DS indicator (with bulb holder), green, headlight trim, and a new wiper. *sigh* I'll need to an ad posted.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
A lot less damage than my last game of "dodge the deer". Only difference was my deer went on to get hit by another car. If there's something you have trouble tracking down, reach out to me, I may have an extra from my recent parts car experience.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, closer inspection today revealed that she flat-spotted the DS front tire and the deer put a slight dent in the driver door (down low) and managed to break the rocker trim at the rear.

It's raining today, so I just swapped wheels on that side of the car (wearing the winter 15's anyway, and the tires are done after this season). I'll drag the 17's back out in a couple weeks.

That rocker trim is going to be a harder one to find. How close are the 850 and S70 rocker trim pieces? I'm guessing different enough, as I know the mudflaps are different between the two.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, this poor car can't catch a break.

Short version of what happened. Both were traveling opposite directions on the street with a center turn lane, planning to turn left. He had a car in front of him who was turning left, but not at the intersection he wanted to turn at. I went to turn left and that's when he decided he wasn't going to wait and pop back out into traffic.
I got stopped in time, but he didn't, went under my bumper. No one hurt and no airbags deployed.

Busted the turn signal and headlight trim and put a hole in the bumper. Other broken stuff included the PS fog light bracket and the air deflector in the bumper. Gotta hunt down a turn lens, but just going to stick the other black headlight trim on there for now. Have some front end plans for the car, so I'm not too worried about replacing the other stuff for now.

Gotta get the wife's 855 back on the road, so I can give this thing a little love.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts