SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The left third row seat on a '07 Volvo XC90 is stuck underneath the collapsible backrest. Looking from the trunk from behind the seat, it seems to be stuck on the right rail, it won't budge at all. The seat seems as if it would move freely on the left rail.

After searching the internet for hours, I was only able to find info on stuck backrests or headrests. To be clear, the backrest is working fine. I can lift it and I can collapse it. It's just the actual seat (the part where you put your bottom) that is stuck.

Any ideas what might cause it to remain fixed and how I can pull it out so that I may use that seat?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I had a quick look. Take everything out of the back and remove the rear panel that covers the battery area. Seat cushions are right below, they should move forward some small amount with the seat backs down, if they don't move at all you can start there. Seats function independently so you should be able to do a comparison between the two.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
There's an interlock between the seat back and bottom. Maybe something isn't releasing when you stand the back up?

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
948 Posts
Years ago on my ‘04, the plastic piece of the interlock broke off and wouldn’t release the seat bottom. I was able to get my finger inside the rail next to the spring and release it. Did that for a while until I could get to a jy and pull new seats (I found it was easier to replace the entire third row than tear apart the rail and remove the seat bottom to get to the broken part).

BD

1998 S70 GL, 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P* (1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60. 2.5T FWD RIP)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the hints, guys. I've just returned from a vacation so I will look deeper into the problem later today.

88domer said:
Years ago on my ‘04, the plastic piece of the interlock broke off and wouldn’t release the seat bottom. I was able to get my finger inside the rail next to the spring and release it. Did that for a while until I could get to a jy and pull new seats (I found it was easier to replace the entire third row than tear apart the rail and remove the seat bottom to get to the broken part).

BD

1998 S70 GL, 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P* (1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60. 2.5T FWD RIP)
Was it the right or the left rail? I kept poking my finger around trying to find a latch to pull / push but only managed to find the back rest release.

John C said:
There's an interlock between the seat back and bottom. Maybe something isn't releasing when you stand the back up?
Do you happen to know where this interlock might be?

ggleavitt said:
I had a quick look. Take everything out of the back and remove the rear panel that covers the battery area. Seat cushions are right below, they should move forward some small amount with the seat backs down, if they don't move at all you can start there. Seats function independently so you should be able to do a comparison between the two.
Kind of tried that already. The right seat moves a little but the problematic one, as said in the op, seems to move freely on the left rail but is completely stuck on the right rail. If I push on the cushion, the left side moves a little but the right side is completely stuck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone has access to it, isn't there some sort of procedure for this issue in the service manual? It's a 4 hour drive to the nearest Volvo stealership and I don't really trust them since they cracked some plastic trim pieces when I last took it in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link. I managed to install it after several attempts but, to my disappointment, it does not offer any information for my particular case. It does show how I can remove the frame altogether. I will try and follow those instructions and hopefully can determine what is wrong before I completely remove the seats from the car. Will report back once I do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As I said in my previous post, I decided to go ahead and try to remove the seats and their frames. As I was going about checking all the screws that I needed to undo, I noticed that the stuck rail was missing a nut:

You can probably already spot the culprit but it was almost impossible to see with the naked eye. Here it is from a different angle:

I wasn't able to find the nut so I replaced it with a locknut and also used thread lock. In fact, I replaced the one on the other seat as well since I was able to loosen it by hand.

I can't understand how on Earth that screw didn't just fall out of there since it did have some small amount of play. If one's life would depend on that screw jamming that seat in that way, I'm pretty sure it would just fall out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts