SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stayed out till 3am this weekend following the local yocals and there late night shenanigans, Saw a nice AWD GT Stinger - blue - with a few stickers hinting at mods. From a dig i was very please to have left neck and neck with the stinger, halfway through second i deactivate the rear wheels but still started to lose the Stinger, ultimately losing by a car length. Afterwards i lined up with his buddy - a tuned Kia Optima and was able to lose him off the line easily and still pulled on him from a roll. Afterwards i was able to exchange words with the guys and they shared their enthusiasm for their new cars, while both cars are nice especially the Stinger, two things keep me from visiting the local Kia dealership - the price of a Stinger is upwards of 40K dollars and its still a KIA.

I found some solstice in knowing my 10yr old Volvo was still surprising people, but i will be needing a larger family vehicle within the next year so maybe by then these and the new ATS Cadillac will be priced down.

On a side note i must say after installing the 320mm brakes upfront, these cars definitely deserved these. before when braking the entire car would wobbly back and forth but now it just sits into a stop nice and smooth, i dont if its from the added weight or what but the difference in the steering rack even feels more solid - highly recommend this mod.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
can you clarify what you mean by " ....halfway through second i deactivate the rear wheels...." ? Did I understand correctly that you deactivated haldex (hb or switch?) to make it quicker while drag racing? If so, does that really help for such activities?

on a general note ref Kia - that brand is really popular in Europe for decades now, and I remember watching it "grow" since its first crawling onto EU market with cheap oddities for "peasants" like Sephia or Rio but then it started to gain traction and became a strong contender among other well estabilished brands. Same thing that happened to Skoda - I wouldnt use the "but its a Kia / Skoda" argument in a bad way anymore, as very often those cars offer more for less comparing to their "well reputable" rivals (let alone small things like 7y warranty etc). And from what I know and saw, Optima (especially in estate body) is a really nice, big car and it actually stands out with design and its looks, atlest in my opinion. As for Stinger GT - heard nothing but enthusiastic reviews regarding that car, as for performance, pleasure to drive and also quality of build. Wouldnt mind having one of those :p
If its any concellation, your 40k USD seem ridiculous comparing to price in irish dealership - 53k Eur for 2.2 diesel model (!) and 67k Eur for V6 GT.... no comment :/

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i just pulled the ebrake up enough to trigger the light to come on but not lock up the brakes, feels like the power goes all to the front, and the wheels will brake free if i leave from a dead stop like this. Im sure im only helping destroy my haldex system alongside the transmission but these dang Ecoboost F150's are getting rambunctious.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
514 Posts
two things keep me from visiting the local Kia dealership - the price of a Stinger is upwards of 40K dollars and its still a KIA.
For what it's worth, back in early 1990's when I got my first R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R the most common comment I got was "it's still a Nissan". For approximately $50k (equivalent of $80k or so in today's money) mint second-hand examples went for back then. A quarter of a century, several newer GT-R:s and boatloads of their go-fast parts later, every second has been worth it.

Stinger doesn't sound that bad at all, a relatively bargain-basement coupe with a turbocharged 3.3l V6 and AWD. Sounds like a possible recipe for a 600-ish bhp, very streetable and mild-mannered daily driver, depending on how stock or slightly upgraded drivetrain will hold up. At 4000lbs or so it's definitely not featherweight, though.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
I assume you are somehow modded cause a stinger should walk you.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Signatures dont show up on Tapatalk app.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Signatures dont show up on Tapatalk app.

I have everything upgraded except the turbo, the Stinger was also carrying four medium Hispanics vs the two large ones in mine, my country math says that about evens out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
I have everything upgraded except the turbo, the Stinger was also carrying four medium Hispanics vs the two large ones in mine, my country math says that about evens out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a party

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
In the future, you're looking for the word SOLACE, not SOLSTICE. Dang autocorrect :p
Yes, putting power out to all 4 wheels takes more energy than just 2 - hence why mpg's doing 4WD are always lower.
Something about distributing force along 2 axles rather than 5 (counting the driveshaft and connectors.)

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
In the future, you're looking for the word SOLACE, not SOLSTICE. Dang autocorrect :p
Yes, putting power out to all 4 wheels takes more energy than just 2 - hence why mpg's doing 4WD are always lower.
Something about distributing force along 2 axles rather than 5 (counting the driveshaft and connectors.)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tomato - tamale you know what i meant lol, either way i cant afford a Stinger :\

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
514 Posts
Unless you're traction-limited up to at least 70-80mph with sticky tires and AWD, you're not making enough power. :D
Then again, my XC70 - the Sh*tbox Deluxe - doesn't really break traction to the point of lighting up the tires, but there's a noticeable amount of slip and the yellow triangle on dash blinks like crazy all the way to 45-50mph during full launch at 17psi target boost and 1st-2nd gear boost limiter removed. The tires are Hankook Dynapro 235/65R16:s, a far cry from R-compounds, but reasonably balanced with the fresh, stock Sachs+Lesjöfors suspension. When the Haldex pump gave up at one point it was pretty insane, smoking tires at will at highway speeds with kickdown...

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
508 Posts
Those stingers are direct injection so their fuel limit comes quick and overcoming it is expensive when tuning. But driving my V50 I can still Chris the tires in third and traction control will kick in. Fun times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unless you're traction-limited up to at least 70-80mph with sticky tires and AWD, you're not making enough power. :D
Then again, my XC70 - the Sh*tbox Deluxe - doesn't really break traction to the point of lighting up the tires, but there's a noticeable amount of slip and the yellow triangle on dash blinks like crazy all the way to 45-50mph during full launch at 17psi target boost and 1st-2nd gear boost limiter removed. The tires are Hankook Dynapro 235/65R16:s, a far cry from R-compounds, but reasonably balanced with the fresh, stock Sachs+Lesjöfors suspension. When the Haldex pump gave up at one point it was pretty insane, smoking tires at will at highway speeds with kickdown...
Do you have a rather ‘spirited’ driving style, one that likes to take a huge chunk out of an off-road trail, but is not sure what type of tires to purchase?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts