SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have you ever just realized how great your car is, and not want to stop driving it?

a month ago, my 86 245 DL basically pooped itself. I was really sad, and pissed too. but i just got it back this weekend, and drove it from CT to NH, then areound for a while... maybe 400 miles this weekend. This car is so perfect for me, it looks good, it feels good. i am totally back in love with this car....

anyone else feel the same way.

now to get some more money and get a full suspension re-do, ipd swaybars, etc. etc. then i dunno. but for now im trying to think of easy things which i can do to my car. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: The joy of driving... (jrocheunh)

Oh yeah... I feel the same way... http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

I just waxed my 240 yesterday, and man I just want to drive it for the next the week... I bought some euro turn signal indicators on ebay yesterday, and I can't wait to get them so I can put them on and drive some more. My gas expenditures have been slowly but steadily increasing for a while now http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

[Modified by FMonk, 6:03 PM 9-29-2002]

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Oh Yeah!
I get these urges to go for long destinationless drives for no reason whatsoever. Oft times, I have wondered what the Swedish word for the Love Of Driving is. Whatever it is, I've got it. It's like I can't stop sometimes. The only things that would keep me from going further would be running out of fuel or running out of pavement. The pavement goes ever on and on in this country, so running out of it anytime soon seems unlikely.

The feel of the road transmitted to my hands and the pull of the engine's torque when I torture the tires to re-direct my trajectory over the next hill is exhilerating! The canopy of trees over the last straight opens out to a rolling, twisty welcome mat with my name on it. Suddenly, it is then that I realize, there is no antidote for my sickness. If one existed, I should shun it with all my will and embrace my affliction wholly. Driving is. Driving calms. Driving envelops the senses and never releases you. It is truly a beautiful thing.

That's just a bit about how I feel about driving my car. Good stuff? A bit weird I know, but driving is so much more than turning your key and going from point A to B. That kind of thing is such a terrible bastardization of the unique relationship between man and machine. We need to talk to our cars folks. The Throttle, Clutch, Brake pedals, Shifter Knob and Steering wheels are the communications devices we use to speak the poetry of speed and sport to our mechanical kindred.

Yeah, I guess you could say I feel the same way.

[Modified by kowalski, 10:26 PM 9-29-2002]

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Re: The joy of driving... (kowalski)

well all i can say is im the same as you.i feel it is my duty to free my car and let it do what is was born to do....race! sometimes i will say to my self, i wanna drive. i jump in my 242 GT and we lay rubber! we just drive and drive till we start smelling the brakes burn. take every corner with speed but at the same time care.. But the best feeling is when you no youve lived http://********************/smile/embeer.gif http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

John,

I think you should buy another one exactely like yours... like mine. Double enjoyment!

[Modified by ACD, 2:10 PM 10-2-2002]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: The joy of driving... (ACD)

quote:

John,

I think you should buy another one exactely like yours... like mine. Double enjoyment!

[Modified by ACD, 2:10 PM 10-2-2002]
but i can only drive one car at a a time...

someday though i will take time and money and throw it at this car like its my pimp. v8 conversion, totalt strip down and repaint, a crap load of work.

oh but back to your car... you are missing (or were) missing the drivers side bumper trim, right?

me too

crazy ****e.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Kowalski,
quote:

I get these urges to go for long destinationless drives for no reason whatsoever.
Hey, me, too! When I first moved here to southeast Michigan, I would go out every single Saturday and pick a new route. Just for fun, and just for the driving!

quote:

The only things that would keep me from going further would be running out of fuel or running out of pavement.
I'd drive and drive, usually a good hour or two, always in a new direction to a place or road I hadn't yet explored. Never dared to go longer/farther than that because my then-10-year-old Jetta had given me one or two heart attacks. As in, wouldn't start up. GET THIS. I had driven to Hell, Michigan. Yes, it's a real place, and I just drove there so I could say I'd been to Hell and back. (What a smart-arse I thought I was. Ha ha.) It wouldn't start, but upon careful inspection of everything I could see (lacking tools, etc.) from over & under the engine compartment, I found the disconnected electrical plug for the starter motor and plugged it back in. (I still wonder how it came undone...) No matter. But that's why I never ventured farther...

quote:

Driving is. Driving calms. Driving envelops the senses and never releases you. It is truly a beautiful thing.
Yes, yes, YES!!!

quote:

That's just a bit about how I feel about driving my car. Good stuff? A bit weird I know, but driving is so much more than turning your key and going from point A to B.
Well halleluiah and amen! I couldn't agree more! (Gee, I thought I was the only one with this bizarre "affliction". Oh, sure, I know there are folks that are all ga ga over their actual cars, which I *can* appreciate, mind you, but there's a certain love for the actual DRIVING that I rarely hear other people talk about!!!)

quote:

The Throttle, Clutch, Brake pedals, Shifter Knob and Steering wheels are the communications devices we use to speak the poetry of speed and sport to our mechanical kindred.
Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit bummed that I have an automatic. Every once in a while my hand slides down to the shift knob and fingers it playfully...as if the mere "wish" that there was a little sporty short-throw shifter there in place of that goober-lookin auto shift knob just might make it so! I find myself wishing I could take my car through the paces on my command rather than having it shift because it got some bleeps n blips sent from the adaptive tranny's controle module.

Yeah, then reality hits, and I remember the aching left leg I'd get from my Dad's '78 244 (mustard yellow, and still running, I might add) after only about 20 minutes of driving. Can you say "heavy clutch"? My '71 Bug also had clutch issues, as did my '84 Jetta. I vowed to never again get a stick shift, no matter what the price. I know they've come a long way since these cars, don't anybody flame me, there was just a certain allure to an auto trans for some of us with less-than-favorable opinions of clutch pedals. I sit in traffic a lot, and I am grateful for my S60's automatic (not geartronic, obviously) more often than not.

But I still daydream about that googly-bumbly auto shift knob magically turning into a spaceball right there before my very eyes. Overactive imagination? Maybe. But it's not due to insanity or lack of sleep. It stems from pure love -- for my car and for the actual act of driving it! http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

[Modified by Lisa62, 9:13 AM 10-3-2002]

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Yeah I acquired the driver's bumper piece from a 240 that was falling apart. You could always buy mine for that piece you've been missing. http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

To be more on-topic, there is definitely something wonderful about driving standard shift 240s. I can't put my finger on it. I sold my '95 Golf because it wasn't fast enough. People always ask what I have now then...a Volvo 240 wagon. "That's not fast!" Yeah, but it's enjoyable and satisfying. That is until you've got to pass a semi at 80mph and realize you got no pull.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

the stick on the 240 is such a nice feel compared to the others i have driven, it is by far my favorite

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

oh yeah, ACD....

i bought that trim peice too, from ebay. But i couldnt get the darn thing to work. I could only get the rear most clip in place. Any hints for easier installation?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I don't know what aspect of shifting the 240 manual trans is appealing, but I find it to be clunky and slow to shift. It's not smooth, the throws are long, and the gearing is not all that great. The only part I like is the feedback you get from shifting....you know when it's in gear, and you know what gear it's in.

But it's 100 times better than an auto!!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Re: The joy of driving... (towerymt)

My shifter is nice and smooth. However, I've driven about half a dozen standard 240s and each one is unique.

I prefer the short shift of the Mini Cooper S that I test drove. God was that pleasure! I would describe the 240 as leisurely. It's so ironic how this car and I are so different yet we work well together.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts

I have been driving an auto for 3 years now, and I am totally ready to own a manual again. It is so much more satisfying to be in control of the car in the way a stick lets you be. It is a crime that the person who bought my current car new ordered it in an auto, because it is a Canada Spec car and available in a manual! GRRR! Its still a fun car though http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Re: The joy of driving... (Lisa62)

Yeah,
I hear you. I have never driven to Hell though. I think that some day I shall make it to strange and wonderful places in my Volvo. For the time being, I have to stick close to Fairfax. The driving's good out here though. So it's not all bad that I don't get to go adventuring in other states as much as I'd like. Some of my friends and co-workers think I'm nuts for driving so far to get to a road JUST to drive it! But there are some roads in WV that are great tire-torturing, gut-busting, roundabout ways to get home from visiting my brother at school.

Some days I just feel like I want to be back in Oregon on Rt 101. Coming out of California on that bendy mountain road is fantastic fun in pretty much any vehicle, but I imagine it would be a scream in the Volvo. (Family vacation, driving, VA to WA)
My love for driving came out of growing up doing travel as a regular thing for the summers. We'd all load up into the van and go for these long hauls to other states eventually finding the right one with our extended family residing in one of it's cities. Along the way, we'd find Mom and Pop places miles off the Interstate that offered piles of home-cooked food for a small stack of change. The road never seemed to get old either. We chugged along our merry way with a can of pop on the dash, munching away at a sourdough pretzel like it was the only nourishment for the next thousand miles. All the while in the back of our heads was the knowledge that there was a huge cache of food hiding in the big green cooler reserved for the occasion when we couldn't find one of those Mom and Pops. Grapefruit juice cans and smelly socks clogged the side doorwells and the hum of the tires on the road seemed more welcome than the silence of the night air that we cut through. It's a strange thing to think that, I know but that is what got me hooked. I needed the loneliness and the romance of the road and the silence that comfortingly accompanies the symphony of tire noise and engine whine. I had to have the surface of the road pass beneath me. It's like I'm never happy until I know that what I'm seeing is soon to become a dot in my mirrors at the same time hungering for what's over the horizon hiding just beyond the reach of the breaking sun. As well as that next pretzel.
It always amazed me how this country could change in landscape and with such drama so rapidly. From Utah into Nevada, you go from the blindingly boring white stretches of parched earth to rolling black mounds that melt into steep wooded grades all in a matter of hours driving time. In Kansas, you pass fields of smiling sunflowers that wake up still facing west as if they were expecting the sun to come back that way. They never learn though. So if you catch the fields just at the right time in the morning, you see them for a few hours along the highway and it's like one big drawn out movie about the way flowers find the sun. The same sun we alway tried to beat to the other side of the country. We never learned. It was always a good race though.
So, someday, I will make the trek in the Volvo.

Yeah, I love driving. A lot.

Daily round trip commute: 33 miles.
Average monthly mileage: 2200 miles. Hmmm...something just doesn't add up!
Even with all that extra-curricular driving, I think Irv's P1800 still may have a few more miles than mine when it gets to that age, but getting there is all the fun.

·
Registered
691 Posts

I just drove my 240 up from NC to CT (with the wife in tow in the 940). By modern standards, I should consider this beast to be rude, crude, loud & obnoxious - but I can't get enough!

Owning a car for 10 years, you get to know each and every one of its characteristics, and you end up with an unparalleled symbiotic driving experience. I sometimes go out just to drive - no destination, no itinerary - just looking for curves, hills, entrance and exit ramps. The shifts are long, but smooth (Michael - shift your M47 for another 100K, then see if it's smoother! And Lisa62 - I think your dad needed a new clutch cable. When I replaced mine, I nearly put my foot through the floorpan because of the reduced pedal effort!)

I keep thinking I should get a newer Volvo, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon. I love driving this car, and I still have more improvements planned for it. If I wasn't already in my PJs, I'd go for a drive now! http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: The joy of driving... (11110000)

quote:

(Michael - shift your M47 for another 100K, then see if it's smoother!...)
In 100K I think I'd be pushing for the record on M47 mileage! Remember, a 300K M46 is like a 150-200K M47. Mine's got 163K, and it feels great compared to what I think it should feel and sound like at this point. I've heard about M47's that whine loudly and eventually die at 100-150K. The oiling problem doesn't help these fragile transmissions, and my driving style can't be helping the longevity, but I don't plan to have this trans long enough to find out what happens with it takes a dump on the road.

I plan to have my car dyno'd at some point since I've recently had a VX3 cam installed and I'm curious about how much power it makes. Maybe that's when the trans will break. Or it'll just throw the #1 rod through the block at 5999K RPM. I just have a bad feeling about the dyno, but I really want to do it (if I can get a discounted rate http://********************/smile/emwink.gif ).

·
Registered
287 Posts

quote:

My love for driving came out of growing up doing travel as a regular thing for the summers. We'd all load up into the van and go for these long hauls to other states...
Me, too! Except in a mustard yellow '78 240 DL. (Ok, it's starting to look like we were both brainwashed from a very young age... ha ha ha!)

quote:

...We'd find Mom and Pop places miles off the Interstate that offered piles of home-cooked food for a small stack of change.
Us, too. And much to the chagrin of the rest of the family, my Dad LOVED little greasy spoons...the farther off the beaten path, he figured, the better they had to be! (I suppose the logic went "If they're that hard to get to, the food & the service HAS to be better, or people wouldn't drive that far to get to them.") We cringed at the looks of some of these places, and we would practically crawl under the car as our Dad brazenly approached anybody he could find to talk to about the weather, the nice scenery they have in these parts, or more often than not, what a neat car or motorcycle the person had. Funny thing is...my genes have started to mutate. Now I seek out interesting people and chit-chat with folks in random places. Hubby cringes. (But toddler daughter is taking note...and is starting to mimic Mom's gregariousness!)

quote:

The road never seemed to get old either.
Yeah. It's amazing what a kid/teen's mind can do on a 26 hour drive. All you need is scenery passing by the window, a little conversation, and a little imagination and BAM, you're there before you know it.

quote:

It always amazed me how this country could change in landscape and with such drama so rapidly.
After grad school I wanted to DRIVE to my next destination, rather than fly, despite the sarcastic comments from friends & family about how nuts that was in this day and age. I figured "time to take a nice, long drive" was a luxury that life might not afford me in the future, so drive, I did. I left Boston with all my earthly possessions in the trunk of my tomato-red Jetta and I headed West for L.A.!

Over the next 5 days I saw all the treats-for-the-eye that I-90, I-80, and then I-76 into Denver had to offer. Approaching Denver I couldn't stop humming "For purrr-ple mountain maaaa-jesties, ahhh-bove thy fruited plains!!!", and so on. Got my oil changed in Denver. Then turned South before continuing West (partially because I didn't trust my 10-year old car to get me up and over the Rockies, and partially because the southern route took me by the Grand Canyon). I finally got to LA five days after I left the east coast, but it felt like I'd been on a two-week cruise through heaven!

That's the last "long-distance" drive I ever did, and that was eight years ago, now. But luckily for me, I have a hubby and a kid that both share my love for road trips, so I drag them all over the place...every chance I get! I dreamt up a beautiful 6-day driving tour for us through the Canadian Rockies (Columbia Icefield Parkway in Alberta, with stops in Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper, then Westward to/through the Eastern national parks in British Columbia). We reserved a Taurus at the Calgary Airport (this was 2 years ago now), but when we got there the lady offered us an S70, which we gladly took, instead! (This was what helped me begin my "campaign" to get a Volvo with my other half!)

As far as big drives go, I also got us out to your "homeland" area, kind of -- Southern WA and Norther OR in Spring of 2001. We drove US1 (PCH) about half-way down into Oregon, took the scenic routes (wineries, etc.) back inland, and then took in the Columbia River Gorge (with lots of nice stops along the way, Mount St. Helens, Astoria, Tillamook Cheese Factory, Bonneville Dam & Fishery, windsurfers in Hood River at the Gorge, etc.!).

I checked out the Volvo United States website's scenic drives, and as it turns out I drove one stretch of "scenic road" last weekend and didn't even know it! I was on I-70 heading West, the stretch from Richmond to Indianapolis. If I ever drive that stretch again, I'll sit up and take notice.

Yes, I like to drive, too...a LOT! If I win the lottery and don't have to work some day, that's what I'll do. Drive. Anywhere... EVERYWHERE!!! And if I see you, I'll be sure to wave. I'll know it's you, because you'll be the other freak on the road with the mad, crazed, I-love-to-drive sheet-eatin' grin on your face as you barrel down the highway & navigate the twisties. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif Happy motoring!

[Modified by Lisa62, 3:20 PM 10-5-2002]

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Yesterday, I had a half day of school. So I called a friend who had the entire day off and asked if he wanted to go get some food. I told him it didnt matter where we went, and he suggested a place about 15mins away and one in town. I took the farther one because I just wanted to have a little road trip. If he would have suggest a place an hour away, I would have taken it. I love driving, especailly in my volvo because it's just so easy. Sometimes, I leave for work early and go to Best Buy to purchase a CD only because its a far drive to go out there, then turn around to go to work.
BTW, I think this should be moved to the main forum because I think all of us love driving.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re: The joy of driving... (omega6_virus)

Yup, you've got "the illness", too! Ha ha. And yes, this is probably something that plenty of people over in the main area might be interested in!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

I have it bad. I just realized while driving today that after I cut my yard, I hopped in my Suzuki Swift, mostly cause the manual is fun, and just started driving. I was crusing along and it hit me that I read this earlier about the joy from driving. I then came home, got into my 944 and had some fun. Took out a Jeep Liberty(easy kill) at one street light and a "supped-up" Dodge Stratus manual that I've seen at my school a few times. If he is at school Monday, I'll be sure to park next to him so he can get a look at the front of my car, not just my tail lights! http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts