SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow, nice option with the full leather seating for RD. I must have missed it when making my selection because I wanted RD but gave it up for an Inscription because the US configuration seemed to force partial nubuck seating if you pick RD. And no cooled ventilated seats up front for RD. Your black leather plus carbon fiber interior looks very sophisticated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What else can you say other than "that R-Design interior is a work of art"! Absolutely stunning design and execution.

·
Registered
121 Posts
man, I wish the stitched leather dash was an option for the R-design in the US market. nicely spec'd!
Totally agree!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Modification 1: Emergency Triangle

Again, thanks everyone for the kind words.

Modification #1: Warning Triangle, Part #31377845

I'm using this thread to document my experience with our XC90 T8 and today I added a few accessories. The first one was the emergency triangle that fits in the empty compartment on the back hatch. I'm one of those people who hates empty buttons and missing items in a car to show me the options that I DIDN'T order. Knowing that there was an empty space back there meant I needed to order the triangle right away:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Modification 2: Sunglass Holder

Modification 2: Glasses Holder, Part #31403479 - Charcoal Solid

I wear prescription sunglasses and wanted to have somewhere convenient to place them in the XC90. The case that I had to hold them was quite big. What I didn't realize was that the storage compartment next to the steering wheel was big enough to hold the case very easily:

Too late, I already ordered the Glasses Holder! Well, I had something similar in one of my other vehicles I told myself, and it makes it much easier to swap glasses while driving. First I needed to remove the driver's side grab handle. After removing the 8mm bolts, it just needed a little wiggling to come out completely:

Then I just reversed the process to install the sunglass holder:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Modification 3: Lighter Plug

I apologize for my very wide definition of "Modification" vs. "Accessory." I figure that if something has been added to a vehicle that doesn't with the vehicle from the factory, then it is a modification. Hence, this item that I added not because I am a smoker, but for emergency situations where I find myself stranded somewhere. I just take personal comfort in knowing that I would be able to start a fire without having to resort to rubbing two sticks together--*insert neanderthal comment here.* It's probably the same reason why I carry a pocket knife.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I apologize for my very wide definition of "Modification" vs. "Accessory." I figure that if something has been added to a vehicle that doesn't with the vehicle from the factory, then it is a modification. Hence, this item that I added not because I am a smoker, but for emergency situations where I find myself stranded somewhere. I just take personal comfort in knowing that I would be able to start a fire without having to resort to rubbing two sticks together--*insert neanderthal comment here.* It's probably the same reason why I carry a pocket knife.

Nice!

Did your car not have a cigarette lighter in the other opening just below the centre dash? What was in there before you added your accessory?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Nice!

Did your car not have a cigarette lighter in the other opening just below the centre dash? What was in there before you added your accessory?
That opening in the front compartment is just an unusually-shaped compartment. No plugs or openings at all. Is it a cigarette lighter in other markets? It would make more sense for the shape. Right now, because it is so small, it's kind of useless. I use it for storing mints :D.

There was just plastic plugs in both 12v outlets in the center console. In the one for the 2nd row I put in a 2-USB adapter.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
SG1, I think you are describing the first sliding console cover that slides towards the dash that is in front of the DC power (that has a plug cover in US but you replaced with a cigarette lighter). Correct? Most markets probably get the cigarette lighter and maybe ashtray as standard.

I doubt most people even slide that first cover forward (unless that is where the ashtray goes and people use it). Dunno. I set my car keys in that far front section for extended road trips. Most of the time, I leave front cover closed as it maybe more decorative in US to tie in with the primary sliding cover. I will look to see where the optional ash tray goes. I am curious now - not that I would ever order one personally.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wow, thanks for the interior shots. Nice upgrades available in Canada we cannot get in US.

Mike

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
First Snow Storm

Well, even though it was pretty late in the season, we got hit with a big (for Metro Vancouver) snowstorm yesterday. At the higher elevation where I live, we received about 36 cm of snow (about 14 inches) through the day yesterday and overnight. It was my first chance to test the XC90's snow capabilities. I posted my impressions in this thread T8 Owners - Snow Mode.

I'm quite impressed. The XC90 is very capable and sure-footed even with the stock all-season tires, as long as you know how to drive in snow. In fact, if you are an experienced snow driver, you'll appreciate how the entire safety system takes care of you without being too intrusive. That means it's still possible to have fun in the snow, in a big-empty-parking-lot-late-at-night kind of way ;). I've driven in other vehicles that are killjoys to the point where you could be placed at risk because you couldn't power yourself out of a slippery situation.

Anyway, because the roads weren't plowed at 6 am this morning, I drove my wife to work in downtown Vancouver and was able to make it back to my place just before the sun rose above the horizon.

Here are some pics of the XC90 in the snow from this morning:

I took this last picture to show the Air Suspension at work. At the far end of the driveway, I was in AWD mode and you can see that the undercarriage cleared the snow. As I pulled into my garage, I switched to Pure mode to cut the engine and you can see how the XC90 lowered itself and scraped the top of the snow:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
That's a lot of snow 🌨❄ Our snow pretty much melted here in Toronto 😀

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
3 month fuel consumption average

The price for premium fuel here in Metro Vancouver is the highest in North America, reaching $1.799/L (about $6.80/gallon) earlier this week.

Luckily, the last time I needed to fill the tank in the T8 was over a month ago! Since picking up our XC90 at the end of January with a full tank of gas and 12 km on the odometer, I've filled it up 3 times.

Using an app that calculates consumption based upon distance travelled and fuel filled, our 3 month average fuel consumption is currently 4.58L/100 km (over 51 mpg). We're averaging over 1000 km per tank. Not bad for living at the top of a mountain, hauling our large family around, and even helping my daughter move all her things between apartments from city to city.

I like the XC90's 50L tank because it only cost me $75 for the last fill and I expect I won't need to fill it again for another month. My last vehicle had a 120L tank and it would only last about 10 days. That's significant savings for us.

·
Premium Member
39,289 Posts
SG1,

You take great pictures and you also have very good (and expensive) taste with regards to vehicles and personal wear! ;)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Warranty Replacement / Ownership Report

Well, after almost 6 months of ownership and over 6000 km on the odometer, I had my first warranty issue fixed today. Actually, the problem existed on delivery day when I picked up the XC90 but I couldn't be bothered to deal with it until now.

The cover for the battery compartment in the cargo area didn't fit correctly. At first I tired adjusting it. Then I used a little heat from a hair dryer and tried to permanently bend its shape. None of it worked.

When the tech at the dealership looked at it, he immediately said that it needed to be replaced and that it was a common problem. It took about a week for the part to come in and now it looks great.

With this being the only official issue I've had with the XC90, I'm really enjoying ownership. Everyone who has been in it has had nothing but praise. I've have several opportunities to accelerate hard in Power Mode and do some "enthusiastic" driving and I'm impressed. While it doesn't handle like a sports car, its behaviour and attitude is stable and the limits of grip around corners and tire squeal with AWD is progressive and predictable.

One of my favourite moments was when we suddenly got behind a fender-bender accident on the highway and had to come to a complete stop. I knew we were in a dangerous situation with the risk of being rear-ended so I immediately put it into Power Mode and, when it was clear, I floored it and got out out of there. I love ❤ the 0-60 take-off!

There was also another time while I was accelerating through a dip in the highway, that I lifted off the driver's seat (ever so slightly!) and I felt the seat belt pull me back. That felt very reassuring!

Anyway, I suppose you can tell the reason why having 400 hp was so important to me, ha, ha. It's been a great 6 months of ownership so far and I'm looking forward to more ?.

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Enjoy your T8. I cannot find a match one in the market so far (Plug-in Hybrid SUV with semi-autonomous driving feature).
Thanks! Even with the increased advertising for the Outlander PHEV, it can only carry 5 passengers, so I don't see it as a viable option. There really isn't much competition out there.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.