SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never had a dedicated thread about my car mainly because I was never really into modding it much. But now that I've hit 200k miles with it, I think it's time!

Officially hit 200k miles on 7/16/19:

This was quite literally a milestone for me and the car. I was lucky enough to special order this car to my exact specifications way back in July of 2001. Back then, it was pretty much my dream car. That dream is still a live and well to this day.

The '01s have a pretty bad stigma about them but other than the dreaded "neutral-stop" feature that probably grenaded my transmission in 2009, this car has been a blast!

One thing that still amazes me is just how good it still looks and how well it cleans up. I've been super busy for that past few years and it has literally been about 3 years since I have been able to even wash the car.

Took the wife out for dinner Friday night after finishing a two day detail session. She still enjoys the car too.

Besides an oil change, and new coil packs, she got some ethanol free REC 90 for a treat:

Some interior shots:

Obligatory bay shot:

I will hopefully have time to update this thread regularly with updates about repairs and maintenance as I complete them.

I'm also happy to answer any questions about the car, its maintenance, issues, mods, etc.

Looking forward to many more miles and even more smiles!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
SUPER clean, I love it! Your black molding seems to be pristine and not faded like almost every other S60 out there that I see. And your seat skins as well seems to be in great shape! What's your secret to those to things? And what specs/packages did you order your car new with? Looks like at least the sport package since you have the sport seats and Tethys wheels like mine has...

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! My secret for the trim is two fold, garage kept and an application of Solution Finish. When I have the time to do regular washes, I spray the car with Meguiars' Spray Wax as I dry it.

Luckily my seats have held up very well. I'm not rough on them and again keeping the car in the garage when possible helps as well as the window tint.

The interior is overall in very good shape like a 9 out of 10. The two worst offenders are the shift boot is just starting to flake and the e-brake boot is doing the same but slightly worse.

I ordered all available options except for GPS. So my car was ordered with sports seats, sport suspension (just thicker sway bars but now I have the ipd bars as well as Bilsteins and TME springs), the cold weather package (heated seats, and headlight wipers), interior air quality sensor, auto climate control, fog lights, LAMINATED windows (no longer available on new Volvos), and one of my favorite options, AUDIOMAX. And of course some other common options like power seats with memory, and geartronic transmission.

I still remember anxiously waiting for my car to arrive 2 or 3 months after I put in the original order. It was tough to have to wait for it but so worth it when it arrived and was exactly how I wanted it.

It did have Tethys wheels but I replaced them a few years ago with OZ Superturismo LMs:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Really nice car. Your results show what these cars could be if they were taken care of. I try to take good care of mine by keeping it garaged but the kids take it over sometimes. I think the biggest way I have kept mine up is by preventing my wife from driving it. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really nice car. Your results show what these cars could be if they were taken care of. I try to take good care of mine by keeping it garaged but the kids take it over sometimes. I think the biggest way I have kept mine up is by preventing my wife from driving it. Seriously.

LMAO! So funny that you say that. One thing that has been wrong with my S60 for the past few years that I've been hesitant to fix is the power driver's seat controls. The seat is stuck in my position. My wife is 11" shorter than me so there's no way she can drive it like that and maybe that's a good thing? She has been known to go curb surfing from time to time.

Thanks for the compliment! I agree that these cars are capable of going the distance (in the right hands) but I can also understand people that aren't able to work on their own cars not wanting to keep them for too long.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Beautiful! Great logical mods and it has stayed super clean and proper. Very well done!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In Flo-Rida, that is key!
So true. I always tell my wife we can never move up north because it’s too rough on cars!:nono::D

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got some new rubber today. Other than the original Pirelli P6 tires that came from the factory, I've always run Bridgestone tires on this car. Mostly the RE-750/760 which I really like but they have discontinued them. Today I got the S-04's. So far they seem really nice! Sticky, quiet, smooth, and sporty enough.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
This is why I'm thankful for living in So Cal... Not much moisture anyways, but they don't salt the roads here in places it does snow. Sun isn't very forgiving on paint though, so a garage is a must! I'm fortunate that I park underground by day at work, so my car is generally covered 75%+ of the day, and always during the peak sun hours.

After looking at your pics more above, I think black is one of the best colors for our cars. Those OZ wheels are really sweet!! Very Tethys'ish, but way better and I'm sure a bit lighter as well. Thanks for the tips on my questions asked above on keeping your black trim fresh. My driver's seat was quite mint when I bought mine 4.5 years ago. I'm not rouch on mine by any means and very clean car oriented, but I do need to replace my driver's seat skin (which I have a used good condition one on hand) due to cracking of the leather, and also a nice hole in the left bolster that came to be during my summer vacation camping trip last year... :facepalm: I do try to keep all of the leather surfaces up regularly by wiping them down with Chemical Guys leather quick detailer. If I need to give them more attention, I have the Zymol 2-part (cleaner and separate conditioner) solutions. I have some Black Magic I think it is, trim restorer that I need to put on my ill faded trim.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Great summers. What will you do for winter? Oh, I forgot - FLA. LOL!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great summers. What will you do for winter? Oh, I forgot - FLA. LOL!
Yup. In Florida a summer tire IS an all season tire!:D

@Phixion, if you're gonna put the time in to do the trim restoration, I highly recommend "Solution Finish." After trying many of the readily available options it's really the only "once and done" solution to trim I've used.

If you want, check out this guy talking about it vs. other types of trim products. He is a bit pedantic and neurotic but he is usually right on the money when it comes to realistic detailing.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Your 01 looks fantastic ! Mine is a 10 footer, but still fun to drive. Have you had the mystery coolant leak on really hot days ? It pukes about a quart on the driveway passenger side and appears to be dripping down from around the oil pan. No hose leaks and radiator is dry. Im guessing its the thermostat housing gasket to the block. Cant really see it with the alternator in the way. Have any of you guys had this issue ?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your 01 looks fantastic ! Mine is a 10 footer, but still fun to drive. Have you had the mystery coolant leak on really hot days ? It pukes about a quart on the driveway passenger side and appears to be dripping down from around the oil pan. No hose leaks and radiator is dry. Im guessing its the thermostat housing gasket to the block. Cant really see it with the alternator in the way. Have any of you guys had this issue ?

Thank you! Although it may appear to be perfect in the pictures, mine has blemishes too, but shouldn't it for 200k miles and almost 20 years?

Not sure about your mystery coolant leak. I've never had that myself. I would say you may want to inspect a little further as it sounds like it may be your water pump or its gasket.

If it's leaking from the thermostat housing, then you would see dry coolant residue built up in that area. I've never had any leaks from the t-stat but I'm also in the habit of any time I have to do any work that I have to remove the t-stat, it gets replaced.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes it's the little things...

That filter was only in there for about two years (20k miles). I don't leave them in there for longer than that.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
That reminds me I need to put in my charcoal cabin filter. It’s been over 2 yrs. since I put the last one in.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That reminds me I need to put in my charcoal cabin filter. It’s been over 2 yrs. since I put the last one in.

I did that a few months ago while I was replacing the blower motor and resistor. It was nice to be able to do it while I was in there. It's kind of a pain replacing just the cabin filter.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 32 Posts