SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from my dealer today that they expect the "Final" software update to arrive near the end of November. She presumes the word final refers to the last update to bring 2016 XC90 into its intended state, and not that there will not be others. She believes the person who told her, although it is not really clear what the update will contain, other than that it will apparently be substantial.

So it's more than a rumor, but less than a fact. I suspect its largely accurate although end of November sounds like a date push back and that could happen again. The lack of specificity indicates Volvo probably has has some things to work out.

It would be great to hear from those who may know about the verity of this report, or those who have additional information.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
how do you get the update if you already own the vehicle?

do you have to take it into a dealer?
does it update online?
You book an appointment for service at your dealer and it is performed there by them. They need to hook up to the car to do it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Lol at 'final' update. More like 'first' update for most people with this car. And pushing to the end of the month is annoying. But thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Lol at 'final' update.
Me too. Sounds like the last line in a tragic Italian opera: l'ultimo aggiornamento! And we know those operas don't end well. :(

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Me too. Sounds like the last line in a tragic Italian opera: l'ultimo aggiornamento! And we know those operas don't end well. :(
Au contraire, in the end, they all culminate with a standing ovation...

·
Registered
673 Posts
"The Final Update"

Wasn't that a big hit for the Swedish rock band Europe in the 80's?

·
Registered
361 Posts
"The Final Update"

Wasn't that a big hit for the Swedish rock band Europe in the 80's?
That was Final Countdown. I think Final Update is the name of the next Terminator movie.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally the (first official) update. Maybe this is what they mean.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
There may have been some other small official updates along the way. At least that is what I understand.

An ovation, well, we will have to see. I say 60% chance it does not arrive in November and 80% chance it ends up falling short of what they originally had in mind. Of course , the are so opaque at Volvo Sweden that we will never know the truth.

I do know that "Final Update" was the terminology the dealer heard, and it matches my perspective that Volvo knew the software was not final when they released the SUVs, and this update was iintended to make it final. My dealer told me about the software complaints they have verified, and it far exceeds anything I have seen here. They have someone just to pass these along to Volvo Sweden, someone who is not impressed with the Volvo engineer's work ethic.

Put me down as loving the SUV, but being really disappointed with the software. Whenever you're driving along and both "screens" go dark, depriving you of vital information, things are bad. Apologists please hold your fire. Volvo does not have the software right.

We will have to wait and see if that really changes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally the (first official) update. Maybe this is what they mean.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
There may have been some other small official updates along the way. At least that is what I understand.

An ovation, well, we will have to see. I say 60% chance it does not arrive in November and 80% chance it ends up falling short of what they originally had in mind. Of course , the are so opaque at Volvo Sweden that we will never know the truth.

I do know that "Final Update" was the terminology the dealer heard, and it matches my perspective that Volvo knew the software was not final when they released the SUVs, and this update was intended to make it final. My dealer told me about the software complaints they have verified, and it far exceeds anything I have seen here. They have someone just to pass these along to Volvo Sweden, someone who is not impressed with their work ethic.

Put me down as loving the SUV, but being really disappointed with the software. Whenever you're driving along and both "screens" go dark, depriving you of vital information, things are bad. Apologists please hold your fire. Volvo does not have the software right.

We will have to wait and see if that really changes.

·
Registered
673 Posts
All I know is that people are going to be pretty disappointed if this update doesn't add support for profiles.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would be nice if those on the Board who have official contact with Volvo would tell us what they know will be in update, what they believe will be in the update, and what they know will NOT be in the update.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
It would be nice if those on the Board who have official contact with Volvo would tell us what they know will be in update, what they believe will be in the update, and what they know will NOT be in the update.
Anything I've been told in the past and have been allowed to share I have. Unfortuntely, at this point, I still don't have anything I can share concerning this update other than what I've mentioned in 'my thread' in the past.

Hopefully soon we'll all get some info and specifics, it'll really be great to see just what is getting fixed and added.

It was just mentioned by someone in Norway that the update was moved back from week 46 to week 48. That kinda sucks for me here in the US because that's Thanksgiving week, which can be hectic come Thursday through the weekend. If it follows that schedule for here in the U.S. I'll try and get in early that week. If not I'll be reading about how people like it on here because I won't be able to go to the dealer to maybe third week December after Thanksgiving week.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anything I've been told in the past and have been allowed to share I have. Unfortuntely, at this point, I still don't have anything I can share concerning this update other than what I've mentioned in 'my thread' in the past.

Hopefully soon we'll all get some info and specifics, it'll really be great to see just what is getting fixed and added.

It was just mentioned by someone in Norway that the update was moved back from week 46 to week 48. That kinda sucks for me here in the US because that's Thanksgiving week, which can be hectic come Thursday through the weekend. If it follows that schedule for here in the U.S. I'll try and get in early that week. If not I'll be reading about how people like it on here because I won't be able to go to the dealer to maybe third week December after Thanksgiving week.
I don't get why people who have spent $70,000 on an automobile can't know what is happening. It's just nuts.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Other than confirming there will still be a "late November" update and that it includes CarPlay, my Volvo contact has been silent on the details even when I asked specific questions.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If it follows that schedule for here in the U.S. I'll try and get in early that week. If not I'll be reading about how people like it on here because I won't be able to go to the dealer to maybe third week December after Thanksgiving week.
Might be a good thing, in case there are unexpected bugs with the update.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Might be a good thing, in case there are unexpected bugs with the update.
I was actually thinking that it might make sense to wait a bit and let other people be the guinea pigs ... :) The system currently has some glitches, but at least it appears to be stable. I'd hate to update the thing and break it. I've had this happen with cell phones in the past. The phone is working fine, and then a big Android update comes out and completely breaks the phone. It's rather frustrating to say the least.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts