SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2012 S60 T5 in the Spring of 2011. I always went to the dealership for all services and even changed the oil twice as often as required by Volvo. My car turned out to be one of the oil burners so the dealer, after a year of prodding, did a ring job in 2015 at about 37,500 miles. When the rings were changed all the belts were changed as was the hardware

Fast forward to last week. I started the car in the morning and heard some strange sounds. Looked under the hood and saw nothing out of place. I called my dealer and asked if I could bring it in so one of the techs could look at it. I was told they were totally booked up for a week and a half so I took the first available date. The noise did go away after a few minutes so I drove it.The next day, my car failed on the road and stranded me. It completely died. I had it towed in and the dealer finally looked under the hood yesterday afternoon. I was told that the serpentine belt, with a little over 31,000 miles on it, had shredded and damaged the timing belt which destroyed my engine. $15,000 for a new engine. Being smart I thought, I had purchased the expensive Volvo VIP Warranty in 2016. All good right. No, the warranty company refused to fix anything. A little clause says they do not cover the serpentine belt and therefore any damage the belt causes is not covered. Volvo engines being interference engines are toast if the serpentine belt breaks and breaks the timing belt, something Volvo knows and it seems the Volvo warranty company also knows and no help from my dealer.

So here I am with a car with less than 70,000 that is junk and a $2,200 warranty that is unless. A car turned to junk by a $20.00 belt. Well goodbye to Volvo and good bye to Volvo VIP Warranties. My new Japanese car is waiting for me to pick up on Saturday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't roll over so easily.

I had a similar issue with a Toyota minivan and made it clear that this would be escalated as far as needed. The dealer convinced the warranty company to cover it in full.

Push push push. This is outrageous to not be covered.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Yeah I would push a little harder.

The serpentine belt was not likely the failure. The tensioner was. That should be a covered component. Especially since it is well before its replacement interval.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
So sorry to hear that. This is very unfortunate. I hope you can pin them down on the tensioner being the culprit.
I have the same car from the same dealer but no extended warranty. The fact that this can happen without warning is alarming. I will make sure to keep my ears open for any unusual noise.
Good luck and keep us posted.
What is your new car?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
If you have a 2012 S60, replace the tensioner. I've seen several fail. Sometimes Volvo fixes it goodwill but there's no guarantee.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I would push a little harder.

The serpentine belt was not likely the failure. The tensioner was. That should be a covered component. Especially since it is well before its replacement interval.
While I fight, I have no car. The fight goes one for a month or two, I'm out the money for a rental. I'm retired, I own only one car. I can't afford and don't need this. Even if I win, I'm still dealing with an interference engine and the same dealer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand. Have you reached out to Volvo?
Truthfully, no. It took over a year to get some action on the high oil consumption and the Volvo home office did nothing. Someone else who used the same dealer forced the issue . I found out, through Sweedspeed, and I confronted them. This was a month after they told me that high oil consumption was "normal". I then found the TJ. Maybe I'm just tired of dealing with Volvo. If I had a spare car or two, it would be different. I could sit back and screw with them. I had Japanese cars for 25 years before I bought the Volvo. I made a big mistake changing.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
While I fight, I have no car. The fight goes one for a month or two, I'm out the money for a rental. I'm retired, I own only one car. I can't afford and don't need this. Even if I win, I'm still dealing with an interference engine and the same dealer.
But if you win, you can sell the car for way more than what it's worth in it's current state! You say you can't afford it, but you can afford to walk away from the car without getting anything for it?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
klrobi I understand you can't afford the risk of gambling whether they will cover it or not. I'd feel the same way if I were in your shoes.
But now that you got a new car you actually can afford to sit there and fight it out with them. It will cost you nothing but time.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
A Mazda 3 is a great choice but like was suggested I would continue to fight with Volvo over the repair so you can at least recover something from your S60.

·
Registered
17,304 Posts
Isn’t serp belt replacement interval spec’d as 60k?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The belt itself is not the issue. It is the tensioner. It's like a time bomb.
I also had the piston rings done at around 43K and they did replace the serpentine belt. Now I'm afraid this thing can bust at any moment and am looking to replacing it real soon.
IIRC, I've read in another post that the tensioner has some plastic pieces that fail. A replacement part should be all metal.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The belt itself is not the issue. It is the tensioner. It's like a time bomb.
I also had the piston rings done at around 43K and they did replace the serpentine belt. Now I'm afraid this thing can bust at any moment and am looking to replacing it real soon.
IIRC, I've read in another post that the tensioner has some plastic pieces that fail. A replacement part should be all metal.
For which model years and engines does the tensioner issue apply?

·
Registered
426 Posts
klrobi - my car is from the same batch... more in a bit

First thing first - Japanese cars are NOT the same anymore; that's a known fact... actually people may laugh at this but my wife's 2018 Hyundai has amazed me... for like 1/3 of my Volvo's price.

I agree with the rest - fight for a fix from Volvo or the warranty co. I had a 2002 S40 with 105,000mi that I dumped for pennies because the heater core failed and it was going to cost me $1,500 to replace it. My biggest regret when it comes to cars. Just take your time, fight and you never know.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'll be sure to consider the preemptive repairs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've seen more than a handful and they were all 2012 5 cylinders
I appreciate your warning!

My S60 is probably from the same batch as OP's... now at 82,000 mi. I've had tons of problems with it, including piston ring replacement, but in all honesty, the last 2 years have been smooth. Now, I'm sure I've jinxed it!

My biggest problem was the suspension which I've documented here, and surprisingly not many other Volvos had all the problems I had. Now I'm having problems with the transmission, again, and I'm investigating my options. Any thoughts on that? https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?234670-Hard-Shifting-into-Drive

Either way, I'd be taking the car to the dealer for tensioner replacement.

·
Registered
17,304 Posts
I appreciate your warning!

My S60 is probably from the same batch as OP's... now at 82,000 mi. I've had tons of problems with it, including piston ring replacement, but in all honesty, the last 2 years have been smooth. Now, I'm sure I've jinxed it!

My biggest problem was the suspension which I've documented here, and surprisingly not many other Volvos had all the problems I had. Now I'm having problems with the transmission, again, and I'm investigating my options. Any thoughts on that? https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?234670-Hard-Shifting-into-Drive

Either way, I'd be taking the car to the dealer for tensioner replacement.
Exactly. Lifetime warranty on parts installed at Volvo. Doesn’t cover wear items but the tensioner is supposed to last 200k or more.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts