SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the many things that attracted me to the R was its five cylinder engine - (I mean 300 hp from 2.5 liters is pretty impressive). It is so unique and I always smile with pride when someone asks me what type of V8 do you have in that Volvo? I mean that growl when you press that accelerator is unmatched by any other engine configuration except a V10. For example, sitting in a car with an inline 4, horizontal 4, inline 6, v6, or horizontal 6, nothing sounds as good, to me at least, as an inline 5. So, what do you guys think will Volvo lose some of its uniqueness by abandoning the 5 cylinder and do you think they will ever be able to build another R car using a 4 or 3 cylinder engine?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-future-dims-for-the-five-cylinder-engine-feature

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I hope that Jacoby pushes performance but I know that they have put a lot into the new 4 cylinder direct injection engine development and can get some very good numbers out of it. Will it sound like the 5? No. Will it make similar power? Very likely, maybe even better.
I don't thin even the powers that be at Volvo can tell you what they may market 5 years from now. Lots of flux in the industry given the instability of fuel supplies and the lack of a clear direction to go for alternate fuels.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Jacoby left Volvo a week ago. Samuelsson is President and CEO effective immediately.

Clearly what ever direction Jacoby had in place will hold at least for the short term.

In regard to the five cylinder "sound", nothing beats the sound of an Audi 5 cylinder, charging up Pikes Peak for example. All history now!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I slept through that.
Damn! Jacoby was a car guy. The Swedes placed at the helm have far too often been accountants and thought the company could prosper by finding the cheapest provider of components.
I hope Samuelsson is not cut from the same cloth.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not use direct injection, high compression ratio, and twincharging in a five with cylinder deactivation?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I slept through that.
Damn! Jacoby was a car guy. The Swedes placed at the helm have far too often been accountants and thought the company could prosper by finding the cheapest provider of components.
I hope Samuelsson is not cut from the same cloth.
Yeah kinda bummed when Jacoby left too. Feel like he was behind or at least not averse to the Polestar products and development. The demise of the 5 has been coming for a while though. It sucks, because I too love the sound. 4's just don't do it for me and just don't sound good. 8's sound amazing, but are in most cases just fuel hogs. 5's and 6's are the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
5's don't lend themselves to cyl decativation. You deactivate paired cyls for smoothness and there are no paired cylinders on 5's.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Cylinder deactivation is a gimmick that firms like gm use to sell v8s.

I would rather have a motor with true lean burn with direct injection, than cylinder deactivation. I mean you still have a piston and rod going up and down, that portion of the crank shaft that's connected to the cylinders that are deactivated. Look at all the cars that have had really good mpg and I don't think many use cylinder deactivation. I really don't think it works well on smaller 4 cylinder ish motors.

The og 4 cylinder Fiero
Honda civic vx, and HF
Crx HF
The 3 stage vtec motor from Honda Japan
The metro and Suzuki swift

I do love the turbo 5 sound, but the turbo six supra sounds similar.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'd rather have the 5-cylinder diesel with a mild hybrid and stop/start technology, especially in the XC line.

Where we are likely headed medium-term (in addition to self-driving cruise control!) is a serial hybrid with four light hub motors (maybe 25 kW each), 12-20 kWh's of battery, and a small, multi fuel range-extender wankel or turbine power plant of about 25 kW or so. Audi, Porsche and Jaguar have all done concepts of this sort for both sports and economy cars. The problem is still the batteries...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Why wouldn't they just continue to develop the T5 with things such as direct injection? It's already been 20 years in the making (wow, I can't believe it's been that long!) At least with the bigger models to help with things such as turbo lag... All the Uber boosted 4 cylinder engines sound no where near as good as and T5 engine. Even ones dating back to the 1990s. Sad to see such a great engine (with so much untapped potential) to leave.:(

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You're all looking at this wrong.

The T5 HAS been developed further, it's evolved into the straight 6 turbo engine. The turbo 6 is a superior engine in ALL ways. Ask any engineer, a straight 6 is THE most balanced engine configuration in existence. Why do you think BMW has been so successful? Because they made the best inline 6 engine in the world.

The turbo 4 cylinder isn't going to go in the cars that would normally get the T5, it'll go in the cars that would normally get the N/A 5. The 6 is being used in the stuff that needs the oomph now.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The 3.2 na/3.0 turbo engine is a Ford supplied engine. Not an evolution of the Volvo 5 and 6 N engines. It will go away to eliminate that profit losing supplier agreement. The 4 will replace it in time. Lighter weight cars with intelligent but still safe design and more use of light alloys will yield better MPG and performance customers desire. Look at BMW. They are making extensive use of the 4 cylinder GDIT engines now. Ford, GM, and others also have joined the 4 cylinder turbo move. Look at the car lines that have dropped 6's in favor of only 4 cylinder offerings. Some of us notice but for most the right pedal making the car go at a reasonable pace is all they ask whether it be 4,5,6 or whatever as long as it is quiet and gets decent MPG.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The 3.2 na/3.0 turbo engine is a Ford supplied engine. Not an evolution of the Volvo 5 and 6 N engines. It will go away to eliminate that profit losing supplier agreement. The 4 will replace it in time. Lighter weight cars with intelligent but still safe design and more use of light alloys will yield better MPG and performance customers desire. Look at BMW. They are making extensive use of the 4 cylinder GDIT engines now. Ford, GM, and others also have joined the 4 cylinder turbo move. Look at the car lines that have dropped 6's in favor of only 4 cylinder offerings. Some of us notice but for most the right pedal making the car go at a reasonable pace is all they ask whether it be 4,5,6 or whatever as long as it is quiet and gets decent MPG.
I hate to see the 5 cylinder fade into the sunset but would have liked it kept around to incorporate efficiently in a hybrid. I'm okay with the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder as long as Volvo adds an electric motor to the front and rear drive. Look at the Porsche 918 with an 8 cylinder and 75 HP electric motors in front and back.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
They are cool engines indeed, but volvo missed out when they started by mounting them longitudinally. There are few cars cooler than the old bricks with 5 cylinder swaps.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

Hey another person that hasn't done their research. Ford BUILT engine, Volvo DESIGNED. It's a Volvo engine through and through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SI6_engine

Ford's Volvo Cars subsidiary designed the SI6 ("short inline 6") straight-6 automobile engine for use in 2007 models. An evolution of the company's long-used straight-5

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10605247021/ford-to-produce-new-6-cylinder-engine

Derek Crabb, Volvo's powertrain vice president, said: "The SI6 engine has been designed by Volvo to create a harmonious, high-class driving experience in every respect.

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
The turbo 4 cylinder isn't going to go in the cars that would normally get the T5, it'll go in the cars that would normally get the N/A 5. The 6 is being used in the stuff that needs the oomph now.
Disagree - since there are no NA 5 cylinders being sold by Volvo in the US at the moment, the turbo 4 cylinder most definitely will take it's place in the T5. Audi, Benz, and BMW have all gone to 4 cylinders as their base engine and Volvo will too in the S60.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
The new turbo 4 cylinder that's coming to the US is also known (oddly) as the T5 in Europe where it's been available for a few years.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The new turbo 4 cylinder that's coming to the US is also known (oddly) as the T5 in Europe where it's been available for a few years.
NO, the 4 you are talking about is not the new engine with direct injection.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts