SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!!!! :D

At long last, 6 years after buying the VR, I finally am at a place where I can start building up the ultimate dad-mobile! My brother (rmorse) is graciously playing host in his garage while we tear into her! First, a few glamour shots of all the Volvo's at his house before we really got rocking:

20190825_123929.jpg

20190824_103906.jpg

First, we relocated some Volvo's! The yellow is all tucked away in my garage, the 'old' C70 is all prepped and ready to go to its new forever home (shameless plug / link: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...70-with-1999-2-3L-HPT-motor-1500-OBO-Maryland ) and we're tearing into the VR in my brother's garage (because stupid HOA rules :rolleyes: ) My brother sent these shots once he moved the VR into the garage and the work could begin:

IMG_5647.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

LET IT BEGIN!!!! :D

-Steve

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The first day of work on the VR was a success!! :D

We gave her a tune-up; new spark plugs, IPD HD coils, new air filter, new cabin air filter, new fuel filter, new IPD poly upper engine mount. We got her up on 4x jackstands and pulled all the wheels, and the complete braking system up front. Looking forward to getting her all modded, put together, and ready for the Road!! This is so exciting!! We've got quite the collection of parts in the back of her that need to go in... :D

-Steve

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And now I need to figure out why only some of the pictures are showing up and the others are just 'attachment XXXXX'...

Hmmmmm, maybe I'll upload to imgur or something and then cross link here?

-Steve

EDIT: uploaded to imgur and linked here.

·
Registered
16,805 Posts
You should change your sig if you've relocated to MD. Bobby would be a good brother to have for this work - Volvos abound!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Roger that, signature updated (thank you for the reminder) and yes, Bobby is awesome!! :D

I never listed the intent for this 'build'. The goal is a daily driver with a bit of extra 'go', future-proof for getting married and having kids and wanting a little fun on my commute and all that. All that said, here's what's in the works:

Performance and 'cool' bits (I have all of these already):
Bell FMIC kit. This comes off of the SR; it's already been replaced with a Snabb FMIC on the SR.
Phuzzy downpipe. I'm on the fence with this one; I already have it but I got it custom with a cut-out. For my intent with this car, I'm thinking a 'normal' aftermarket dp would suit it better. Maybe swap someone, new for new dp's?
SvR catback. Had this for FOREVER; wanted to install it on the SR but never did (went with complete EST dp and catback years back in Germany).
iPD track spec sways. 'Nuff said. :D
HD endlinks.
Stainless braided brake lines. DONE!
TME lowering springs. DONE!
iPD upper engine mount. DONE!
iPD lower transmission mount. DONE!
OEM trailer hitch.

The boring bits:
Full tune up. Plugs, filters, fluid changes, etc.
Replace LCAs. DONE!
Replace shocks. DONE!
Replace wiper blades.
Replace rotors and pads.

Need to purchase:
Exhaust tailpipe extension. SR catback won't be quite long enough to extend to the end of the bumper. Will need to look at what to do with the exhaust tips. I may still have the second set of EST tips?? Hmmmm....
OEM third row seat. I really want it and it'll help with future proofing :D DONE!
Rotors. Old ones are SHOT.
Extra lighting software download. I have the headlights I made in Germany (chromed the DRL buckets, removed diffuser) that I want to use here. Need to find that s/w p/n again.

I will edit this list as more work is completed and as I remember stuff, so check back to this post to keep track.

-Steve

·
Registered
669 Posts
Steve-
Cool project.

Just so you know, there is no difference in the exhaust systems between the SR and VR, EXCEPT at the exhaust tips. The VR requires a little more extension at the tip, which is why the ipd catback has adjustable tips.

·
Registered
16,805 Posts
Cool. Tell us more about these lights...
Roger that, signature updated (thank you for the reminder) and yes, Bobby is awesome!! :D
Extra lighting software download. I have the headlights I made in Germany (chromed the DRL buckets, removed diffuser) that I want to use here. Need to find that s/w p/n again.
-Steve

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve-
Cool project.

Just so you know, there is no difference in the exhaust systems between the SR and VR, EXCEPT at the exhaust tips. The VR requires a little more extension at the tip, which is why the ipd catback has adjustable tips.
Now THAT is a fantastic piece of information, thank you doctor!! I'm getting more and more excited!! :D

Cool. Tell us more about these lights...
Here's my thread from waaaaay back when I did it; I've got to move photos to imgur or somewhere and re-linky. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...o-you-heat-up-pull-the-headlights-apart-again

-Steve

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Steve-
Cool project.

I believe that to be inaccurate. The length between the front and rear wheels is slightly longer on the VR. The IPD and similar aftermarket such as the Eurosport Tuning I installed has you adjust the center section depending on V or S application as well as the tips.

https://youtu.be/TPyExlKHxlg?t=309

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Steve-
Cool project.

I believe that to be inaccurate. The length between the front and rear wheels is slightly longer on the VR. The IPD and similar aftermarket such as the Eurosport Tuning I installed has you adjust the center section depending on V or S application as well as the tips.
I’ve talked to a couple Volvo buddies/nerds and they’ve all said the difference is just the tip (heh).

My vote is we just give it a shot, play just the tip and see what happens.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I stand corrected- there is a 1.5 inch difference in wheelbase between the S60R and the V70R. I know there is about a 4 inch difference in total length of the car.

Stock exhaust is a moot point, as Volvo has them NLA. I had to buy an aftermarket system and ipd, EST, TME, etc. didn't seem to make much difference whether it was an SR or VR, same systems were available for both cars.

You're right that there is an adjustable part in the exhaust that allows you to adjust the length in the ipd system, and the tips are also adjustable for length.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Long time, no post... :D

So, in the intermediate months, we've replaced / installed:

- spark plugs
- iPd HD ignition coils
- 4C shock absorbers
- TME springs
- front LCAs (Powerflex polyurethane and new Volvo bushings and new ball joints)

I've been staying at my brother's house during this current quarantine for COVID-19, aaaaaand we've been CRANKING!! We've replaced / installed new:

- radiator
- Bell FMIC core
- front rotors
- stainless steel brake lines
- third row seat
- PCV kit
- Snabb intake pipe
- silicon radiator hoses
- iPd silicon vacuum lines to the TCV
- Forge CBV
- delrin front subframe bushings
- power folding mirrors
- Powerflex trailing arm bushing
- dropped the intake manifold and an aluminum OTE pipe off to get powdercoated

-Steve

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Current status of the VR: Up on jacks, engine supported overhead, subframe out, rear subframe all pulled apart.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Over the next two days, I'll install the lightweight crank pulley and reinstall the front subframe. I'd like to also pull the factory exhaust and downpipe, install the SvR exhaust (old Svenske Racing exhaust, for those who've been here for a while), and put the rear subframe back together. We'll see...

-Steve

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Excellent job! I see you're in NOVA. My sister is in Fairfax; I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for this beast when I visit.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You're going to love how the car handles with all the upgraded components.

Are you upgrading the sway bars as well? Now's the time to do it!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're going to love how the car handles with all the upgraded components.

Are you upgrading the sway bars as well? Now's the time to do it!
Heck yes I'm upgrading the sways as well!! iPd track specs went in.

I modded my SR in Germany and ran it around the Nürburgring; I'm taking the mods I liked and putting them on the VR.

-Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts