SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
Beust can definitely help your fuel economy.

·
Registered
18,835 Posts
I'm looking for tuning advice.

Being that for now, I've got some good rubber and all of my servicebles seem to be in good order, I want to hear everyone's recommendations for a mild tune or increasing boost a little bit. Although I haven't worked out long term plans for the car, it is my daily driver and I'm interested in keeping fuel economy optimal while being able to bring the car slightly above stock performance. Perhaps at "R" level, or a little better. I've heard R's boost up higher than T5's, is this correct? I'm looking for a solution that is again, a small improvement and a reliable solution going forward. With that said, options:

1: Manual adjustment of the wastegate rod. Fish2live mentioned when he did this it was a noticeable improvement in power only. Now, it does sort of sound precarious.... Does anyone have an opinion of the reliability of this option?

2: R ECU. This seems like a reliable option. Although I don't know what kind of gains to expect. Do I need to change injectors with this?

3: ECU tune. Some have recommended getting a buest or some other kind of send-in-your-ecu tune. Also seemingly reliable. Any fuel economy impacts?

4: Full Exhaust I would consider a turbo-back as a standalone option, but I'm not sure how much I'd expect to gain here.

Any other ideas or combinations of the ones above are welcome.
You already have the same ECU as a 98 R. Same motor too save for the bearings maybe not being all same series during production.

Don't touch the waste gate unless you're having drive-ability problems. Its probably just fine.

A beust tune is custom to your setup and uses data logging. An off the shelf tune is a best guess and frankly history has proven them to be hit or miss. Custom is safe, canned is a gamble. You'll also gain some troubleshooting ability as well.

A turbo back with 3" downpipe, high flow cat and resonator/muffler setup can push you up about 10 wheel horsepower. You'll certainly notice it. Mototech makes excellent systems that wont drive you bat**** with their noise.

Have you considered an intercooler/intake upgrade? The stock units leave a lot of horses to be regained. Snabb, do88 make excellent parts. Theyre on sale at the moment as well. Think about driving the car when its cold. Feel faster? It most certainly is. Intercooler efficiency is much better as the temperature drops. A full size drop in cooler core will bring that performance to the warmer days and increase it on colder days. Probably the best money Ive ever spent on my cars for engine improvements.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
A beust tune is custom to your setup and uses data logging. An off the shelf tune is a best guess and frankly history has proven them to be hit or miss. Custom is safe, canned is a gamble. You'll also gain some troubleshooting ability as well.
Do custom tunes cost much more than off the shelf ones? I've noticed most off the shelf tunes are $350-500. And do you pay for each time update that you get or are those included?

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
Do custom tunes cost much more than off the shelf ones? I've noticed most off the shelf tunes are $350-500. And do you pay for each time update that you get or are those included?
Aaron/Beust has very reasonable prices imo. I am under the impression that the revisions that he makes to the tune as you go through the datalogging are included in the price.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. There are some good ideas here.

If Buest does improve fuel economy... I would seriously consider it. Otherwise, seems exhaust or Do88 would be also very good options. What would you gents choose if you had to have just one?

·
Registered
18,835 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. There are some good ideas here.

If Buest does improve fuel economy... I would seriously consider it. Otherwise, seems exhaust or Do88 would be also very good options. What would you gents choose if you had to have just one?
Intercooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)
The life of a daily driver isn't always glamorous, what with being sidelined for attention in favour of fun, cheap project cars. It's been snowy around here lately, and Millie is right at home! She was running without foglights after we put on the new bumper. The postman brought her a late christmas gift last week.

I'll have to think of a good one-eighth-million birthday present!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
Susan got her trunk struts robbed today :)
(We can be nice, maybe we'll say she "donated" them.)
I was thinking it would be a quick 20 minute job, boy was I mistaken! These pesky things aren't easy to mess with.

The 2000 struts are far beefier than the 98's. I discovered I could just push down on the trunk side of them, and the leverage would break them loose on the other end. The same could not be said for the 98 struts.... They bent very easily. I had to finagle and fiddle fart around with them to get them out.
Popping the interior end of the struts back in was also a pain! This was my jig for applying enough force to snap them in place. Get the picture? I used the leverage of the wrench against the frame of the car to pull the strut down into place. Note: Gloves for both warmth and hand protection!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
That trunk strut job was definitely a b*tch when I did it too. Only my 6'6" friend could manage to get them pulled off lol

What did you end up doing with the fog lights that you were trying to polish? Did you just order new ones instead?

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
That trunk strut job was definitely a b*tch when I did it too. Only my 6'6" friend could manage to get them pulled off lol

What did you end up doing with the fog lights that you were trying to polish? Did you just order new ones instead?
I'm curious about this as well because all of my fog light lenses are also pretty toasted.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·

I'm curious about this as well because all of my fog light lenses are also pretty toasted.
Be jealous: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/222327014698?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I got one side for about $10 US, so then I got the other one for about $50. Was happy to get a new set for less than a big hundo bill.

·
Registered
18,244 Posts

Shopping with my Volvo cloth bag. Staying stylish and saving plastic never felt so good :p
OOoohhh we should start gathering Volvo bags from all over the world and sending them to each other so we could all have an epic bag collection for going shopping lol.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Millie has been purring her way through the winter here. It's almost time to take the winters off. She needs a good clean, oil leak investigation, alignment, lots of interior gremlins and a headliner. Oh, and the driver's side rear door makes a very unpleasent rubbing noise on open/close. What lubricant do we use to make the doors open nice? Pics to come soon.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
Well I'm an idiot.

Seems that my luck has been horrible. That being said, I cannot lie and blame something/someone else. I, like an imbecile, decided that jacking up the engine without a block of wood was a good idea, since I would only be lifting it up a 1/4 of an inch. That was about a $500 mistake. You know that feeling... when you reeeeealy want to bash your f&$#ing head against the wall??

And sometimes you just gotta know when to move on.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 · (Edited)
.....To a mechanic that is.

I sourced a pan and got her all fixed. In the process...

Beefy, rebuilt oil cooler lines:

New thermostat and ECT:

New coolant expansion tank:

Damn that was a dumb mistake. But that's ok, at least we won't have to worry about all of these things again.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Poor bastard, but good for you for being a grownup about the situation...Last time I checked, aluminum is softer than iron. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 163 Posts