SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
81 - 100 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
1500 grit wet sandpaper is the heaviest I would use on these glass pieces and only just enough to reveal the glass from the heavy gunk you're trying to remove. That's it with sandpaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
1500 grit wet sandpaper is the heaviest I would use on these glass pieces and only just enough to reveal the glass from the heavy gunk you're trying to remove. That's it with sandpaper.
Interesting. I read of others processes from 80 all the way to 3000, so I could never get a consistent answer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That'll work on plastic, not so well on glass. They probably look better when wet because the water is filling in all the imperfections.

Aftermarket fogs are like $100/set on eBay, might be easier to just pick up new replacements if you've got room in your budget.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That'll work on plastic, not so well on glass. They probably look better when wet because the water is filling in all the imperfections.

Aftermarket fogs are like $100/set on eBay, might be easier to just pick up new replacements if you've got room in your budget.
If you have a drill, cerium oxide and some buffing wheels with an anvil built in to attach to your drill are under 30 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,449 Posts
I hope this works out better for you than it did for me. I had no success using the Cerium oxide on my fogs. Just made a mess.

·
Registered
17,464 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You got hosed on that oil filler cap seal. I got mine for $1 at Lordco!

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)

Needless to say, jnitschke and I were very surprised that the bumper long bolts spat out this much guck. But, you clean up your tools and move on.

Gluing the wiper delete pieces.

Headlight wiper motors and wiper stops removed.

There's a trick to get the wiper motors removed. Unfortunately, sawing the shafts is necessary. They are very hard to remove from behind the shroud, so proceed with caution!

Looking good so far! More pics in the daylight tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,464 Posts
For future reference, if you remove the lights and loosen the radiator/IC/evap stack you can get the wiper motors out without damaging them. However I'm assuming yours weren't functional so no harm in taking the shortcut (literally)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Needless to say, jnitschke and I were very surprised that the bumper long bolts spat out this much guck. But, you clean up your tools and move on.

Gluing the wiper delete pieces.

Headlight wiper motors and wiper stops removed.

There's a trick to get the wiper motors removed. Unfortunately, sawing the shafts is necessary. They are very hard to remove from behind the shroud, so proceed with caution!

Looking good so far! More pics in the daylight tomorrow.
Do you have a PN for the wiper delete pieces?

2016 Magic Blue XC90 Inscription
2000 Venetian Red V70 R
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,464 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Do you have a PN for the wiper delete pieces?

2016 Magic Blue XC90 Inscription
2000 Venetian Red V70 R
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hahah they're custom. I got a little piece of black plastic, cut to size then siliconed behind the wiper holes. I'll show a pic of the whole thing today! Im so excited for this bumper!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)

In a contraversial move, I decided to replace the Egg-crate with the original waterfall grille. I think it looks SO much cleaner with the R conversion, I'm loving this so far!! I've considered rebadging as an S70R, but we shall see. Maybe after some performance mods :) Anyone need an egg-crate?

Also, these are what my blanks look like. They were easy enough, cheap, and still look good enough. They match the plastic colour of the lower grilles.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'd sooner die than pass up an offer on an egg-crate. I need one for my 850, will it fit? What are you asking?

·
Registered
16,814 Posts
I'd sooner die than pass up an offer on an egg-crate. I need one for my 850, will it fit? What are you asking?
No. IPD is your best bet.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I saw your PM. If you're looking for an 850, you'd have to look elsewhere. The grilles are not interchangeable. That said, it's still looking for a home with a 70 series owner!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I'm looking for tuning advice.

Being that for now, I've got some good rubber and all of my servicebles seem to be in good order, I want to hear everyone's recommendations for a mild tune or increasing boost a little bit. Although I haven't worked out long term plans for the car, it is my daily driver and I'm interested in keeping fuel economy optimal while being able to bring the car slightly above stock performance. Perhaps at "R" level, or a little better. I've heard R's boost up higher than T5's, is this correct? I'm looking for a solution that is again, a small improvement and a reliable solution going forward. With that said, options:

1: Manual adjustment of the wastegate rod. Fish2live mentioned when he did this it was a noticeable improvement in power only. Now, it does sort of sound precarious.... Does anyone have an opinion of the reliability of this option?

2: R ECU. This seems like a reliable option. Although I don't know what kind of gains to expect. Do I need to change injectors with this?

3: ECU tune. Some have recommended getting a buest or some other kind of send-in-your-ecu tune. Also seemingly reliable. Any fuel economy impacts?

4: Full Exhaust I would consider a turbo-back as a standalone option, but I'm not sure how much I'd expect to gain here.

Any other ideas or combinations of the ones above are welcome.

81 - 100 of 148 Posts