SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
21,310 Posts
Re: The Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai Circuit - starts 4-17-09 (JoeLvo)

Quote, originally posted by JoeLvo »

Hence my </season> post. Brawn will likely win every race they partake in, barring any unforeseeable turn 1 wipeouts. I'm so gald they ruined the sport in the name of cost-cutting, and are now degrading it further by having a 2 car field, throwing out the diffuser rule (in effect) and prompting the rest of the teams to spend exhorbitant amounts of money to catch up with BrawnGP's race 1 pace. It's stupid. Now, I'm no McLaren or Hammy fan, but my money is on the FIA taking Hammy's lies more seriously than the contravening of the spirit of the regs, the latter of which has likely washed this season up completely. Tards.

I, for one, agree with Jim and am in favor of these guys being allowed to run this diffuser.

I do not see it being a Brawn runaway, other teams will catch up now that they have the green light. And for one, I really am happy that someone besides the big players are sharing the limelight! I am sorry that Honda didn't get to share a slice of this pie, actually.

And sorry, but from an engineering standpoint, to me, there is no "spirit" of the rules. It's either black or white. If the FIA has a guideline or a rule, you follow it. If there is room to work within those rules, you exploit it.

If you try to over-govern what the teams can do, you end up with a bunch of spec cars, which is boring, IMO.

It doesn't take a lot of money, either. Notice that Brawn is one of the chief beneficiaries, yet I doubt that they have a ton of money to spend. Note that they (Honda) started working on this a while back and have had the time to think of something innovative that doesn't necessarily cost a whole bunch of money to implement.

· Registered
21,310 Posts

Brawn was most-definitely not smart that they chose to run these diffusers. They were lucky. Other teams apprached the FIA with the same concept during the winter and were told in no uncertain terms, that these open diffusers were illegal. Brawn and the other 2 teams showed up with them anyway, and now for the sake of "show", the illegal diffusers are no longer illegal. Innovation <> breaking rules. Innovation = new and genious solutions WITHIN the rules.

You have this incorrect.

There was a meeting held a while back, which was voluntary. 3 of the manufacturers did not attend. At this meeting, the question was raised and they were told that the diffusers were NOT illegal, but they violated the "spirit of the rule". They were NOT told they were illegal.

Guess which manufacturers are running the diffusers?

FIA did NOT subsequently issue a clarification changing them to "illegal" status. Generally this is how FIA closes loopholes.

Individual teams may have asked Charlie Whiting for a ruling, but if that's the case, then why didn't they issue a technical bulletin?

Since FIA did not do this, they were, are and remain LEGAL.

The only luck comes from the fact that FIA could have changed the rules later to make them illegal. In doing this, they could have retroactively penalized those teams which ran them. Or they could have just made them illegal going forward and not penalized the teams. Or they could have kept them legal.

Back in the day when Tyrrel ran 6 wheels and they were subsequently banned, they were not retroactively penalized. Nor were Gordon Murray's sliding skirt designs (was that also Tyrrel Jim?).

They never were, and are still not, illegal. No rules were broken.

· Registered
21,310 Posts

Br

Just because you may like the fact that the underdogs are getting the nod, doesn't mean you're right.

No, it does not. What I wrote above does.

If the FIA wanted to call these devices illegal, why haven't they yet?

After all, they are getting pressure from the big teams, you would think.

· Registered
21,310 Posts

Shame for Felipe. He again, showed that his critics are basically haters. The guy ran up the field in the wet, only to have his car let him down while running as high as 3rd. So much for Hammy being the rain man, Hammy spun and Felipe didn't. They both had picked up around 6 places when Felipe's Ferrari quit him.

Vettel is the real rain-man in the field. He is a future champion. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Anyone read how the McLaren mechanics are freezing Lewis out, because Lewis deserted his team? Very interesting...

http://www.planetf1.com/story/....html

Surely, one has to take the boy's own team's assessment of him over who they would like him to be. Arrogant prat.

You are a way bigger Hamilton hater than anyone else is a Ferrari hater.

His critics are basically haters?

Who is criticizing Massa? Ferrari, yes, but not Massa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.